Wedding Woes

has anyone here DIY'd a bathroom reno?

just curious. i see a bathroom renovation in our near future and just wanted to see if this is something other people successfully tackled themselves or hired the labor.

we DIY'd the kitchen, but i think a bathroom would be tougher with all the fixtures and plumbing that needs to be worked out.

Re: has anyone here DIY'd a bathroom reno?

• GBCKGBCK member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Yep.
    We DID have someone do some of the tile-work because we were tile-noobs, but we did everything else ourselves.

want me to try to dig out pictures?  I think they're in my shutterfly.
  • How much plumbing are you doing?  I think that will be the kicker...that and electrical.
  • WzzWzz member
    no need for pics, just a knock on the head if i am crazy for wanting to DIY will suffice.
  • I think it's something you can tackle if you are realistic and don't go whackadoo with crazy plumbing plans.  :)
  • WzzWzz member
    no plumbing, no electrical. just repplace toilet, tub, floor tiles, and maybe the light fixture above the vanity. oh, and a new vanity/medicine cabinet.

it doesn't *seem* like it's too difficult, but i know for sure this isn't work i am familiar with and can't do by myself anyway.
  • We're starting our renovation on Friday.  We're replacing everything but the toilet.
  • i thought you guys were renting? (or are you trying to sell the co-op again?)
  • Oh, if there's no plumbing or electrical, it should be easy peasy. H reno'd ours - painted the vanity counter, made drawers instead of useless dead space, painted the actual water closet and put in vinyl tiles. He also had to do some electrical, just fixing a new switch plate. 

If you guys are handy at all, you should have no problem. 
  • If you did the kitchen, you should be able to do the bathroom. 
  • You already know I don't have diy skills, so I have to pay. I think you have to know your diy skill level before you start.

Yes, you may be able to do it, but will it end of looking nice. My friend's husband did some home improvements and they did not come out looking good. I think she is still po'ed about it.:)
  • DG1DG1 member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Anniversary First Comment
    definitely doable. H replaced the toilet and sink in our bathroom in one weekend (during which he also repainted an entire bedroom with some kind of faux technique).

Depending on how the tub is installed, that might be a bear, but still doable. Tiling is time-consuming but easy, as you probably know from the kitchn work.

A new bathroom sounds awesome. Are you doing anything fun, color-wise?

• GBCKGBCK member
    edited April 2012
    yeah, not that hard.

We went down to studs and...honestly, it wasn't that hard.
    I mean, we had some problems and it felt like it took forever (since we had to use the spider-infested shower under the stairs taht drains into the sump crock), but, it wasn't bad.

Replacing toilets is kinda gross and stinky, but not hard.  Replacing tub = a challenge, but not to hard.  Light fixtures aren't bad.  Tile isn't bad....
    all around, do-able.
  • WzzWzz member
    it's for the place we own, it's just time to re-do. the only thing we had left to renovate was the bathroom.

i'm not so sure we're going to go crazy with color. if anything, i want those tiles that look like stones for the floor. we'll see what's realistic. so it sounds like we can DIY, but over the span of a few weekends? not too bad.
  • GBCKGBCK member
    we did the stone-looking tiles on the wall...the only 'helpful hint' that I can say is that if you get grout into the 'natural looking' fissures in 'em, it stays there.  Which is fine, but either know tht and grout 'em all or tape over 'em all.
  • WzzWzz member
    ok then i am off to lurk on some home improvement boards.

thanks.
  • If you want to talk money-saving, let me know.  We've gotten some great deals.

• 6fsn6fsn member
    We redid 2 bathrooms with no issue.
  • My parents just finished our upstairs bathroom and took it all the way down to the studs.  This is the first one mom decided to not skimp on, and we did it for 4K.  I've got pictures somewhere...I'll see if I can find them.

I french with my man
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards