Pennsylvania-Philadelphia

Recipes!

Put recipes in this thread so we can refer back as needed.  Either copy and paste or just insert links. Thanks!

Re: Recipes!

• mana8503mana8503 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    UnStuffed Green Pepper Soup
    CDKitchen http://www.cdkitchen.com
    Serves/Makes: 4 | Difficulty Level: 3 | Ready In: 2-5 hrs

Ingredients:
    2 cans tomato soup
    1 box Spanish rice, prepared
    2 green peppers, chopped
    1/2 small onion, chopped
    1 pound ground beef, browned and drained
    15 ounces diced tomatos, drained

Directions:
    Combine all ingredients in crockpot. Cover, cook on low for 4-6 hours.

**I don't precook the rice so it's more a casserole then soup.  I also make it with ground turkey, and don't drain the tomatoes.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    my 2012 shelf:
    Amanda's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (2012 shelf)
    edited December 2011
    Another FI favorite:

Turkey Burrito Bake

1 lb Ground Turkey
    1 Red bell pepper
    1 green bell pepper
    1 meduim onion
    1 can black beans (drained)
    1 pkg Taco seasoning
    Salt & Pepper to taste
    10 Whole wheat burrito wraps
    2 Cups Reduced Fat Shredded Mexican Cheese Blend
    1 Cups Salsa
    Sour Cream (optional. Not included in Nutrional Info)

Put Turkey, beans, bell peppers, onions, and taco seasoning in a large skillet.

Cook until turkey is thoroughly cooked.

Put Turkey mixture in a whole wheat tortilla

Sprinkle with cheese and wrap

Place in a glass pan with seam down

Repeat with remainer of wraps

Cover burritos with Salsa

Add remaining cheese to the top

Place in the oven at 375 for 10 minutes or until top layer of cheese is melted.

Top with Low Fat Sour Cream if you desire.
    You may also add corn to increase vegatable content or use carb control tortillas which are generally only 80 cals. WW tortillas are 130.

I serve one with a side of Avocado and it is very filling :)

Number of Servings: 10
    Calories: 333.1
    Total Fat: 14.0 g
    Cholesterol: 53.7 mg
    Total Carbs: 34.2 g
    Dietary Fiber: 6.6 g
    Protein: 20.2 g
    my 2012 shelf:
    Amanda's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (2012 shelf)
    edited December 2011

Skillet white beans, spinach & tomatoes over Linguine

Ingredients
    2 tsp olive oil
    1 Tablespoon minced garlic
    2 cans diced tomatoes with basil, garlic and oregano (do not drain)
    1 can any white beans (I use Great Northern or Navy usually)
    1 package fresh spinach
    6 cups cooked linguine
    6 Tablespoons Romano or Parmesan cheese (grated)

Nutritional Info
    Calories:318.7
    Fat: 5.0g
    Carbohydrates: 55.4g
    Protein: 13.4g

1. Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet.
    2. In a separate pan start boiling water for linguine and get linguine cooked while you continue.
    3. Add garlic, saute for a minute or so.
    4. Add tomatoes and beans and bring to a boil.
    5. Cover with spinach, top with lid, reduce heat to low and simmer about 10 minutes. Stir occasionally.
    6. Spoon tomato/beans/spinach mixture over linguine and sprinkle with cheese.
    This makes 6 servings of 1 cup of pasta, 1 cup of sauce and 1 tablespoon of cheese.

Number of Servings: 6

my 2012 shelf:
  • amy727amy727 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    For anyone on weight watchers or looking for a way to cut fat/calories from everyday recipes, I suggest Gina's WW's website http://www.skinnytaste.com/

Spinach and Feta Stuffed Chicken Breasts
    Gina's Weight Watcher Recipes 

• 10 oz package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and juice squeezed out
    • 1 tsp oil
    • 1/2 cup (2.5 oz) fat free Feta cheese
    • 1/3 cup fat free ricotta
    • 1/4 cup chopped parsley
    • 1/4 cup chopped scallions
    • 1/2 onion, chopped
    • 2 cloves garlic
    • salt and pepper
    • 3 (1.25 lbs) chicken breast halves
    • 1 egg
    • 1 tbsp water
    • 1/2 cup whole wheat seasoned breadcrumbs (I used 4C)
    • spray oil
    • toothpicks
    In a small sauté pan, heat oil. Add onions, garlic and scallions and sauté about 1 minute. Add spinach and parsley, salt and pepper and cook another minute. Remove from heat, add feta and ricotta cheese.

Preheat oven to 350°.

Slice chicken breast halves into 3 thin cutlets. Pound them to make them thinner. This helps when you wrap the cutlets. Season chicken with salt and pepper.

Place just under 1/4 cup of spinach mixture in the center of the chicken. Roll it and secure the ends with toothpicks to prevent filling from coming out. It's ok if it's not perfect. The egg wash and breadcrumbs keep everything in place.

Dip chicken into egg wash, then breadcrumbs.

Spray cookie sheet with oil and place chicken on cookie sheet. Lightly spray chicken with oil and bake about 25 minutes, until cooked through. Remove toothpicks and serve.

Servings: 4 • Serving Size: 2 pieces Points: 4 pts
    Calories: 205 Fat: 3.8 g Protein: 32.0 g Carb: 10.6 g Fiber: 2.6 g
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • amy727amy727 member
    edited December 2011
    Chicken Salad

Ingredients:
    1 cup (about 4.5 oz.) cooked & roughly chopped skinless lean chicken breast
    1/2 cup chopped Persian or Kirby cucumber
    1/3 cup red seedless grapes, halved
    1/3 cup chopped apple
    1/4 cup plain fat-free yogurt
    2 tbsp. fat-free mayonnaise
    1 no-calorie sweetener packet (like Splenda)
    1/4 tsp. lemon pepper seasoning
    dash salt

Directions:
    Mix together the yogurt, mayonnaise, sweetener, lemon pepper seasoning, and salt. Coat the chicken in this mixture, and then stir in the chopped cucumber, grape halves, and chopped apple. Then try not to pass out as you chow down on this insanely good chicken salad! MAKES 2 SERVINGS

HG Tip! If cooking your chicken from scratch, use nonstick spray (not oil) to keep the fat count down.

**These short, sweet cucumbers rule in this recipe! But if you can't find 'em, any cucumber will do.

Serving Size: half of recipe (about 1 cup)
    Calories: 145
    Fat: 1.5g
    Sodium: 332mg
    Carbs: 14g
    Fiber: 1g
    Sugars: 10g
    Protein: 21g

POINTS® value 3*

I split this into 3 servings and put it on a wrap for a nice 3 point lunch. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Paula Deen's French Onion Soup (and no, it doesn't have butter in it :) )

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/paula-deen/french-onion-soup-recipe/index.html

• edited December 2011
    Tempura Avocado with Shrimp - very very good.  Requires a little extra time and effort,  but worth it.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/guy-fieri/tempura-avocado-with-shrimp-recipe/index.html

• edited December 2011
    Fiesta chicken and rice bake

Prep: 5 min - Cook: 45 min

1 can (10 3/4 oz.) Campbell's® Cream of Chicken Soup
    1 cup Pace® Chunky Salsa OR Picante Sauce
    1/2 cup water
    1 cup whole kernel corn
    3/4 cup uncooked regular long-grain white rice
    4 boneless chicken breast halves
    Paprika
    1/2 cup shredded Cheddar cheese

MIX soup, salsa, water, corn and rice in 2-qt. shallow baking dish. Top with chicken and sprinkle with paprika. Cover.

BAKE at 375°F. for 45 min. or until done. Sprinkle with cheese.

Makes 4 servings
  • edited December 2011

Black Bean and Turkey Chili

1 tablespoon vegetable oil

1 pound ground turkey

1 large onion, chopped (about 1 cup)

2 tablespoons chili powder

1 teaspoon ground cumin

1 teaspoon dried oregano leaves, crushed

1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper

1/4 teaspoon garlic powder  or 1 clove garlic, minced

1 3/4 cups Swanson® Chicken Stock  

1 cup Pace® Picante Sauce

1 tablespoon sugar

1 can (about 15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained

1 can (15.25 ounces) whole kernel corn, drained

• Heat the oil in a 4-quart saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the turkey, onion, chili powder, cumin, oregano, black pepper and garlic powder. Cook until the turkey is cooked through, stirring often.
    • Stir the stock, picante sauce, sugar, beans and corn in the saucepan and heat to a boil. Reduce the heat to low. Cover and cook for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
  • edited December 2011
    Beef and pasta

3/4 pound ground beef  (85% lean)

1 3/4 cups Swanson® Vegetable Broth  (Regular or Certified Organic)

1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce

1/2 teaspoon dried oregano leaves, crushed

1/2 teaspoon garlic powder

1 can (about 8 ounces) stewed tomatoes

1 1/2 cups uncooked medium tube-shaped or corkscrew-shaped pasta  

• Cook the beef in a 10-inch skillet over medium-high heat until it's well browned, stirring often to break up the meat. Pour off any fat.
    • Stir the broth, Worcestershire, oregano, garlic and tomatoes in the skillet and heat to a boil. Stir in the pasta. Reduce the heat to low. Cover and cook for 10 minutes, stirring often. Uncover.
    • Cook for 5 minutes or until the pasta is tender.
    I  sub ww pasta and just add a little more as it doesn't absorb all of the broth.

• edited December 2011

30 minute shepherd's pie (Rachael Ray)

Ingredients

• 2 pounds potatoes, such as russet, peeled and cubed
    • 2 tablespoons sour cream or softened cream cheese
    • 1 large egg yolk
    • 1/2 cup cream, for a lighter version substitute vegetable or chicken broth
    • Salt and freshly ground black pepper
    • 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, 1 turn of the pan
    • 1 3/4 pounds ground beef or ground lamb
    • 1 carrot, peeled and chopped
    • 1 onion, chopped
    • 2 tablespoons butter
    • 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
    • 1 cup beef stock or broth
    • 2 teaspoons Worcestershire, eyeball it
    • 1/2 cup frozen peas, a couple of handfuls
    • 1 teaspoon sweet paprika
    • 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley leaves

Directions

Boil potatoes in salted water until tender, about 12 minutes. Drain potatoes and pour them into a bowl. Combine sour cream, egg yolk and cream. Add the cream mixture into potatoes and mash until potatoes are almost smooth.

While potatoes boil, preheat a large skillet over medium high heat. Add oil to hot pan with beef or lamb. Season meat with salt and pepper. Brown and crumble meat for 3 or 4 minutes. If you are using lamb and the pan is fatty, spoon away some of the drippings. Add chopped carrot and onion to the meat. Cook veggies with meat 5 minutes, stirring frequently. In a second small skillet over medium heat cook butter and flour together 2 minutes. Whisk in broth and Worcestershire sauce. Thicken gravy 1 minute. Add gravy to meat and vegetables. Stir in peas.

Preheat broiler to high. Fill a small rectangular casserole with meat and vegetable mixture. Spoon potatoes over meat evenly. Top potatoes with paprika and broil 6 to 8 inches from the heat until potatoes are evenly browned. Top casserole dish with chopped parsley and serve.

• ev4149ev4149 member
    edited December 2011
    Pineapple Pulled Pork:

1 lb. pork loin
    1 can of sliced pineapple with juice
    Brown sugar (I don't measure this, but I probably put in 1/3 to 1/2 cup, depending on the size of the pork loin)

Throw the three ingredients into a crockpot, and leave it for 10-12 hours.  The juice keeps it from drying out, so don't worry if you have to leave it for a while. 

Shred the pork with a fork, stick it on a bun, and you are good to go!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I made this one night after my friend told me about the recipe. So easy, and delish!

egg noodles with ground meat (turkey or beef) and peas and carrots.

Brown the meat, drain.
    Add frozen or canned peas and carrots
    Add brown gravy, I use the packet kind by Pioneer. (prepared of course)
    simmer until veggies are done.

Serve over egg noodles, or ww egg noodles.
  • edited December 2011
    I'm a big fan of fake meat.  Its lower in fat, high in protein and overall healthier for you.  When used properly, you can't tell the difference between real and fake!  Its also a LOT faster to cook with.  I prefer Morningstar Farms Soy Crumbles, but Boca has a line as well. One package = one pound of ground beef.

Good recipes for fake ground beef:

- Pasta Bolognese
       - cook pasta, in large saucepan, heat the soy crumbles.  When warm throughout, add a jar of pasta sauce and simmer.  Serve over pasta!

- Tacos
       - heat soy crumbles in a large pan, when heated/cooked, add packet of taco mix seasoning and water.  Mix and simmer.  Serve with regular taco shells/wraps, lettuce, tomato, etc.

- Lasagna
      - I get a box of whole wheat lasagna noodles and follow the recipe on the box, just swap out the real meat for the fake. 

- Chili
     - Heat a bag of soy crumbles in a large pot.  When heated throughout, add any chili fixings you like and simmer for as long as you decide. 

These are my staples, I'll add more if I think of them!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    edited December 2011
    Pan-Fried Chicken Parm

PER SERVING (1/2 of recipe):
    258 calories,
    6g fat,
    684mg sodium,
    16.5g carbs,
    7g fiber,
    1g sugars,
    38.5g protein

Ingredients:
    Two 4-oz. raw boneless skinless lean chicken breast cutlets
    1/2 cup Fiber One bran cereal (original)
    1 1/2 tsp. Italian seasoning, or more to taste
    1/2 tsp. garlic powder, divided, or more to taste
    1/2 tsp. onion powder, divided, or more to taste
    1/8 tsp. salt, or more to taste
    1/4 cup canned tomato sauce with Italian seasonings
    1/4 cup fat-free liquid egg substitute (like Egg Beaters Original)
    1/2 cup shredded reduced-fat mozzarella cheese
    Optional: black pepper

Directions:
    Place chicken in a large sealable plastic bag and, removing as much air as possible, seal the bag. Carefully pound chicken through the bag with a meat mallet or a heavy can, until it is uniformly about 1/2-inch thick.

Using a blender or food processor, grind Fiber One cereal to a breadcrumb-like consistency. In a medium bowl, combine "breadcrumbs" with Italian seasoning, 1/4 tsp. garlic powder, 1/4 tsp. onion powder, and salt. Feel free to season your breadcrumbs with as much pepper, additional salt, and additional spices as you like. Mix well.

In a small bowl, mix tomato sauce with remaining 1/4 tsp. garlic powder and 1/4 tsp. onion powder. Set aside.

Place egg substitute in a separate medium bowl. Coat raw chicken very well on both sides with the egg substitute. Then place chicken in the crumb mixture, and coat thoroughly on both sides.

Spray a large skillet with nonstick spray, and bring to medium-high heat. Place chicken in the skillet and cook for 4 minutes on each side, or until chicken is cooked through.

Once chicken is fully cooked, spread 2 tbsp. sauce over each cutlet, while chicken is still in the skillet. Evenly sprinkle cheese over the sauce-covered cutlets.

Reduce heat to low and cover skillet. Continue to cook for 2 - 3 minutes, until cheese has melted. Enjoy!!!

MAKES 2 SERVINGS
    my 2012 shelf:
    edited December 2011
    Black Bean Chicken

6 chicken breasts
    3 cans of low sodium goya black beans
    1 can sweet corn, low sodium
    2 16oz jars of salsa
    1 cup unprepared brown rice

1. I boil chicken since it's usually frozen and I don't like raw meat cooking in over ingredents (yes i'm weird). Cut chicken into bite sized pieces.

2. Add all ingredients into crock pot, stir. I cook on high for 1.5-2 hours, or until rice is done.

I add some mexican cheese on it - YUMMY! Rice soaks up the juices from beans, corn and salsa. No extra water needed.

12 Servings

Amount Per Serving

Calories 294.0
    Total Fat 2.1 g
    Saturated Fat 0.4 g
    Polyunsaturated Fat 0.3 g
    Monounsaturated Fat 0.4 g
    Cholesterol 68.4 mg
    Sodium 467.7 mg
    Potassium 317.6 mg
    Total Carbohydrate 29.6 g
    Dietary Fiber 7.6 g
    Sugars 1.2 g
    Protein 34.8 g
    my 2012 shelf:
  • edited December 2011
    Mongolian Beef (PF Changs Knock-Off).  I love love love this recipe.  I use the Trader Joe's flank steak, which I trim and slice.  I deviate from the recipe by cooking/frying the meat plain in a little oil.  I've tried it coated in corn starch and its just too much mess and didn't add anything special.

My sauce doesn't usually thicken much with just the ingredients listed (it says the brown sugar will carmelize and thicken).  After all the sauce ingredients are combined, stirred and simmering, I add in a little cornstarch diluted in water to thicken it up.

http://www.food.com/recipe/p-f-changs-mongolian-beef-66121

• ev4149ev4149 member
    edited December 2011
    I usually make these as mini muffins, but I attempted to turn it into a bread recipe.

Pumpkin-Apple Bread:

2  cups  all-purpose flour
    2 teaspoons  baking powder
    2 1/2 teaspoons  ground cinnamon
    1 teaspoon nutmeg
    1/2 teaspoon of allspice
    1/4 teaspoon of ginger
    1 teaspoon  baking soda
    1/4 teaspoon  salt
    1 cup egg beaters or 4 eggs
    1 15-ounce can  pumpkin
    1 2/3 cups  granulated sugar
    1 1/2 cup  chunky applesauce

Directions

1. In a medium bowl stir together flour, baking powder, cinnamon, baking soda, and salt; set aside.

2. In a large mixing bowl beat together eggs, pumpkin, sugar, and applesauce with an electric mixer on medium speed. Add the flour mixture; beat until well combined. Pour batter into bread pan (you may need to make 2 bread pans, it makes a lot of mini muffins).

3. Bake in a 350 degree F oven for 25 to 30 minutes or until a wooden toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool completely in pan on a wire rack.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Double-Ginger Pumpkin Muffins with Sweet Candied Pecans

For Candied Pecans:
    1.5 cups chopped pecans, 1 tbsp egg white, 3 tbsp sugar, 2 tsp ground ginger, 1/2 tsp kosher salt

For Muffins: 1 can (15 oz) pumpkin (not pumpkin pie mix), 4 eggs, 1 cup canola oil, 1/3 cup water, 2.5 cups sugar, 3 tsp vanilla, 3.5 cups all-purpose flour, 2 tbsp ground cinnamon, 2 tsp baking soda, 1 tsp salt, 1 tsp ground ginger, 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg, 1/2 cup crystalized ginger (finely chopped)

- Heat oven to 350F. Line 15x10x1-inch pan with parchment paper. Spray muffin cups with cooking spray.

- In med. bowl, toss pecans with egg white until well coated. Add 3 tbsp sugar, 2 tsp ground ginger and the kosher salt, toss until coated. Spread in single layer on parchment-lined pan. Bake 10-12 minutes, stirring once, until golden brown. Cool completely (about 30 min). Coarsely chop and set aside.

- In large bowl, beat pumpkin, eggs, oil, water, 2.5 cups sugar and vanilla on low speed. Stir in flour, cinnamon, baking soda, 1 tsp ground ginger and nutmeg. Stir in crystallized ginger. Fill mufifn cups 3/4 full. Top muffin cups with 2 tsp candied pecans.

- Bake 23-25 min or until toothpick comes out clean. Cool 5 min and remove from pan to cooling rack.

ETA: DH isn't a huge fan of ginger flavor, so I left out the crystallized ginger. Mine were be "Single Ginger Pumpkin Muffins." And they were delicious!!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic image BabyFruit Ticker
    edited December 2011
    From Hungry Girl - made them yesterday and they were YUMMY!

Caramel Pudding Pumpkin Cupcakes
    (Makes 12 servings)
    Per serving (1 cupcake): 108 calories, 2g fat, 188mg sodium, 21g carbs, 0.5g fiber, 12g sugars, 2g protein

Ingredients for cupcakes

• 2 cups moist-style yellow cake mix (1/2 of an 18.25-ounce box)
    • 1 cup canned pure pumpkin
    • 1/3 cup fat-free liquid egg substitute
    • 2 tablespoons sugar-free maple syrup
    • 2 teaspoons cinnamon
    • 2 teaspoons Splenda No Calorie Sweetener (granulated)
    • 1/8 teaspoon salt

Ingredients for topping

• 3 cubes (about 1 ounce) chewy caramel
    • 2 teaspoons light vanilla soymilk

Directions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Combine all cupcake ingredients in a mixing bowl with 1/3 cup of water. Whip with a whisk or fork for 2 minutes until well blended.

Spray a 12-cup muffin pan with nonstick spray or line with baking cups. Evenly spoon batter into muffin cups.

Place pan in the oven and cook for about 12 minutes (until cupcakes have puffed up but still appear a little gooey on top).

Once cupcakes are cool enough to handle, arrange them closely on a plate so that the edges are touching. Place caramel and soymilk in a tall microwave-safe glass or dish (mixture will bubble and rise when heated).

Microwave at medium power for 1 1/2 minutes.  Stir mixture vigorously until smooth and thoroughly blended. (Return to microwave for 30 seconds at medium heat if caramel has not fully melted.) Immediately drizzle caramel sauce over cupcakes.

my 2012 shelf:
  • LadyJ10LadyJ10 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We tried this recipe over the weekend for slightly-healthier Cheesy Chicken Enchiladas! DH and I loved them, and they're fine without the garlic (I swear I'm allergic to garlic!). Just make sure to get the 8 inch tortillas or they're HUGE.

Yield: 8 servings (serving size: 1 enchilada)

Ingredients

• 2 1/2  cups  chopped cooked chicken breast
    • 2  cups  (8 ounces) preshredded reduced-fat 4-cheese Mexican blend cheese
    • 1 2/3  cups  plain low-fat yogurt
    • 1/3  cup  butter, melted
    • 1/4  cup  chopped onion
    • 1  teaspoon  minced garlic
    • 1/4  teaspoon  freshly ground black pepper
    • 1  (10 3/4-ounce) can condensed reduced-fat, reduced-sodium cream of chicken soup (such as Healthy Request), undiluted
    • 1  (4.5-ounce) can chopped green chiles, drained
    • 8  (8-inch) flour tortillas
    • 1  tablespoon  canola oil
    • Cooking spray
    • 1/2  cup  (2 ounces) finely shredded reduced-fat sharp cheddar cheese
    • 1/4  cup  chopped green onions

Preparation

1. Preheat oven to 350°.

2. Combine first 9 ingredients in a large bowl. Remove 1 cup chicken mixture; set mixture aside.

3. Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Working with 1 tortilla at a time, brush oil over both sides of tortilla. Add tortilla to pan; cook 5 seconds on each side or until toasted and soft. Remove from pan; arrange 1/2 cup chicken mixture down center of tortilla. Roll jelly-roll style; place filled tortilla, seam side down, in a 13 x 9–inch baking dish coated with cooking spray. Repeat procedure with remaining 7 tortillas, remaining oil, and remaining chicken mixture. Spread reserved 1 cup chicken mixture evenly over enchiladas. Cover and bake at 350° for 20 minutes. Uncover; sprinkle evenly with cheddar cheese and green onions; bake an additional 5 minutes or until cheese melts.

And they're the five best friends that anyone could have, the five best friends that anyone could have! Photobucket
  • edited December 2011
    This is actually my Irish pot of gravy/sauce ;)

Big can of crushed tomatoes
    Big can of tomato puree
    Tiny can of tomato paste

The rest is to taste, start with a couple shakes then go from there.

Minced garlic (I hate peeling garlic so I buy the jar stuff)
    parsley
    grated cheese
    S&P
    brown sugar
    basil
    Italian seasoning
    Red pepper seed (not too much unless you like it hot!)

Add sausage and meat balls (pre cooked)
    Let it simmer.
  • edited December 2011
    This is the Fra Diavolo Recipe I use.

Ingredients

• 1 pound linguine
    • 6 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
    • 1 cup small diced onion
    • 3 tablespoons minced garlic
    • 2 to 3 teaspoons crushed red pepper flakes
    • 1 1/2 cups canned tomato sauce
    • 2 tablespoons tomato paste
    • 1 1/2 pounds shrimp, peeled and deveined with tails removed
    • 1 teaspoon salt, plus more for pasta water
    • 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley leaves
    • 1/2 cup grated Parmesan, optional

Directions

Bring a large 1-gallon pot of salted water to a boil, and place the pasta in the pot. Cook for 5 minutes and then drain; pasta will be only partially cooked. As the pasta cooks, set a 14-inch saute pan over medium-high heat and add the olive oil. Once the oil is hot, add the onions to the pan and cook until lightly caramelized and wilted, about 3 to 4 minutes. Add the garlic to the pan and saute until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add the red pepper flakes and saute briefly before adding the tomato sauce and tomato paste. Cook the sauce until reduced by about half, about 5 minutes. Add the shrimp to the pan and cook for 2 minutes. Add the partially cooked pasta to the pan along with 1 cup of the pasta cooking water and continue to cook the pasta in the sauce until al dente, about 3 to 4 minutes. Season the pasta with the salt and garnish with the parsley. Toss to combine and serve with grated Parmesan, if desired.

• Northstar1808Northstar1808 member
    edited December 2011
    Sweet and Tangy Chicken

Ingredients:
    3 boneless chicken breasts
    1 cup of apricot preserves
    1/4 cup of mayo
    1/2 cup of Russian dressing
    1 pack of dry onion dip mix

Directions:

Mix all the ingredients except chicken together in a bowl
    Chop the chicken and add to sauce
    Put it in the microwave for 12 mins
    Serve with rice

SO EASY!! You don't have to chop the breasts you can just pour the sauce on top if you'd like. Also it may seem like there's a lot of sauce but once you put it over rice it's not.
  • Smile1114Smile1114 member
    edited December 2011

Sweet and Spicy Sweet Potatoes

Ingredients

2 large sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
    3 tablespoons olive oil
    2 teaspoons packed brown sugar
    1 1/2 tablespoons paprika
    1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
    1/2 teaspoon onion powder
    1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
    1/2 teaspoon poultry seasoning
    1/2 teaspoon chili powder
    1 pinch cayenne pepper

Directions

1. Preheat an oven to 425 degrees F

1. Place the sweet potato chunks into a large mixing bowl. Drizzle with the olive oil, then sprinkle the brown sugar, paprika, black pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, poultry seasoning, chili powder, and cayenne pepper overtop. Toss until the potatoes are evenly coated with the seasoning. Spread onto a baking sheet.

1. Bake in the preheated oven for 15 minutes, then turn the potatoes over with a spatula, and continue baking until the sweet potatoes are golden and tender, 10 to 15 minutes more.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Wedding Countdown Ticker
    11/11/11

*Make A Wish*
  • ev4149ev4149 member
    edited December 2011
    Parmesan-Spinach Balls

2 10 oz packages of frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained
    2 cups Italian bread crumbs
    1 cup parmesan cheese (or other hard grated cheese)
    4 eggs (or 1 cup eggbeaters)
    1 stick melted butter (1/2 cup)
    1 onion, diced in small pieces
    1 tablespoon garlic powder
    salt and pepper to taste

Make sure the water is squeezed out of the thawed spinach.  Mix all of the ingredients together, and roll into balls (about 1 inch).  If the mixture is too dry, I usually add some extra eggbeater.  Put in the oven at 350 for about 20 minutes, or until the balls are golden brown.  Enjoy!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    edited December 2011
    Broccoli Casserole

-1 cup of shredded sharp white cheddar cheese
    -1 can of cream of mushroom
    -1 cup of mayo
    -3 10 oz. boxes of frozen broccoli spears
    -Ritz crackers

Combine the cheese, cream of mushroom, and mayo in a bowl and mix together. Boil a pot of water and place the broccoli in it, just long enough so the broccoli separates from each other. Grease a 9x13 pan and lay the broccoli down (cut the spears to fit as necessary). Spread mix over the broccoli and top it with crushed Ritz crackers. Place in the oven at 350 degrees for 45 mins.

It's sooo delic!!
    edited December 2011
    Cornbread Pudding

-8 oz. of sour cream
    -1 can of cream corn
    -1 can of whole corn (undrained)
    -1 stick of melted butter
    -2 beaten eggs
    -1 box of Jiffy cornbread mix

Combine all the ingredients and mix together. Pour in a 9x13 pan and cover. Place in the oven at 350 degrees for 1 hour.
  • edited December 2011
    I made these empanadas over the weekend to freeze.  They were relatively easy to make.  DH ate two wile watching football and liked them!

http://joelens.blogspot.com/2010/06/corn-black-beans-beef-empanadas.html

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards