Wedding Woes
Options

Pot, meet Kettle.

My grandma (not Satan) is still hell-bent on having hip surgery. Even though she's been told by two separate doctors that it's not advisable, OR necessary.

She had my mom help her look up a phone number the other day, for a guy she graduated high school with (remember, she's about 90) who is/was a neurosurgeon. She wanted to get his opinion.

So she calls the guy up out of the blue. Hasn't spoken to him in 72 years, but sure, why not?

She lays out her situation, laying the woe-is-me card out there right away. He listens, then tells her that his 80yo sister is in the same situation, and he would never recommend surgery to her.

How do I know all this?

Because my mother - who's been saying for weeks how sneaky my grandma is being - was listening on her phone in the basement.

*smh*

Anyways. She came upstairs afterwards and asked my grandma about it. And grandma said, "Oh. Well, he has a sister who's in the same situation, and he DID the surgery for her (he's a neurosurgeon), AND he said that she came away pain-free and everything was fine. I think I should go ahead with mine, too."

Of course, having listened to the conversation and knowing that wasn't true, my mom told my dad, who took grandma to the doctor, who once and for all told her that there was no way she should have surgery.

My sister told me all this. It pisses me off that my mom's so nosy, but it appears that it was beneficial in this case. Doesn't make it right, though. This is the same schit she was pulling with me when I was in high school, ffs.

Re: Pot, meet Kettle.

• Options
    **O-Face****O-Face** member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    And people wonder why no one trusts them? 

At least she caught your grandma in a bald-faced lie.
  • Options
    TheDuckisTheDuckis member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Eh, I'm not sure where I stand on this one. On the one hand, your grandmother clearly isn't capable of making this decision on her own, and it makes sense to have someone in on her conversations with doctors so they get the full story. If I were in the this situation and grandma refused to let me in on the call, I might eavesdrop.

On the other hand, I doubt your parents would have let her go ahead with the surgery regardless of what this doctor said, so the eavesdropping was an unnecessary invasion.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm going to share the horrible thought I just had, but please know this came from an awful place in my brain that I'm not proud of.

Let her have the surgery. It'll put her out of your misery.
  • Options
    nicoleg1982nicoleg1982 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Wow.  Gma needs a hobby.
    imageimage
  • Options
    hmonkeyhmonkey member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    why can't she be like other grandmas, and just buy a body stocking to wear as she lays out by the pool?
  • Options
    **Stinky!****Stinky!** member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I really don't know what this obsession is about. I think she's still bitter about her car being taken away, and I know she wasn't 100% sold on moving in with my parents. It almost seems like she's just trying to retain control of SOMETHING. But clearly, she is losing all the faculties necessary to have that control. It's sad, really.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards