Wedding Woes
Options

Have we discussed the Central Falls school district firings?

Central Falls to fire every high school teacher

The Providence Journal / Glenn Osmundson CENTRAL FALLS –– The teachers didn’t blink. Under threat of losing their jobs if they didn’t go along with extra work for not a lot of extra pay, the Central Falls Teachers’ Union refused Friday morning to accept a reform plan for one of the worst-performing high schools in the state. The superintendent didn’t blink either. After learning of the union’s position, School Supt. Frances Gallo notified the state that she was switching to an alternative she was hoping to avoid: firing the entire staff at Central Falls High School. In total, about 100 teachers, administrators and assistants will lose their jobs. Gallo blamed the union’s “callous disregard” for the situation, saying union leaders “knew full well what would happen” if they rejected the six conditions Gallo said were crucial to improving the school. The conditions are adding 25 minutes to the school day, providing tutoring on a rotating schedule before and after school, eating lunch with students once a week, submitting to more rigorous evaluations, attending weekly after-school planning sessions with other teachers and participating in two weeks of training in the summer. The high school’s 74 teachers will receive letters during school vacation advising them to attend a Feb. 22 meeting where each will be handed a termination notice that takes effect for the 2010-’11 school year, Gallo said. Gallo said she was devastated and that she had thought the union would agree to her conditions, even though she did not offer to pay the teachers more for most of the additional responsibilities. A month ago, Education Commissioner Deborah A. Gist mandated that the district adopt one of four models to fix the troubled school, which has some of the lowest graduation rates and test scores in the state. Gallo’s first choice, the “transformation” model, was consistent with her conditions on how to improve the high school. But if the teachers would not agree, the superintendent said she would select her second choice, the “turnaround” model, which requires the removal of the entire staff of the school. The turnaround model allows the district to hire back no more than 50 percent of the old staff.Full article

Re: Have we discussed the Central Falls school district firings?

• Options
    Ugh.

I know that I have my biases, which result in me siding more w/ teachers than w/ administrators on such things but...if you add 14 hours a week or WTF ever to my workday w/o paying me more?  it's a pay cut.

That's what they were doing.

• Options
    I've heard that the teachers made 70K in a town with a median income of 30K, though.

Andplusalso - if the kids aren't learning, they're not doing their jobs. If my H doesn't do his job, he could get a pay cut, and that would be a best-case scenario. Likewise with most non-unionized jobs.

Frankly, I'm behind the super. Want to bargain collectively? Well, here's the natural outcome of that. 
  • Options
    wow.  so glad those students are going to have motivated teachers for the rest of the semester now they know they won't have jobs come june.

• Options
    I'm with the administration on this one, too. Every day in the non-unionized world people's hours get get extended and their job responsibilities grow and there's not always a raise in pay to go with it. And why should you get a raise in pay when your school is one of the worst performing in the country? Every good teacher I've ever had has said they weren't in it for the money. If these people are, they're in the wrong profession. 
  • Options
    well, the amt the teachers make is relevant...
    but there's also a degree of 'you get what you pay for'.

Why do I make what I do?  Because you have to offer people a bit more to get qualified people to drive to the ghetto/inner city scary places where the income is squat to work.  (and I don't get paid all that well...but I'd not do it for less.  I took a cut from what I made in the private sector to work there as it is)

'course I know nada about *where* you're talking about.
    And, union or not, generally admins have ALL the power in this crap...'oh, last best offer' and 'no, it's illegal for you to strike' is problematic.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards