Wedding Woes
Options

Dress me + What is a good gift for this?

Dress me-Semiformal banquet at a conference center off of campus for fall sports teams, H has to go, I'm just decoration. 80% of attendees will be college kids. We also have a foot of snow. It's tomorrow, and I'm just soooo dang excited to dress up in a foot of snow to eat dinner with a bunch of college kids in a big meeting room.

things I have:  black sheath dress, black strapless party dress, black suit, grey tweed suit, all sorts of sweaters and dress pants, some silky tops, patent black heels, my only boots are flat brown "riding" boots, and a pair of suede "shooties" that look ridiculous unless worn with pants.

Gift thing- BIL is a HS senior, it's nearly his last meet, and it's lucky that this one is only 4 hours away and we can go (kind of lucky, I may have a 2nd post about what a lucky little wifey I am). He's 3 away from 100 wins in one season, and we want to do something nice for him BC that's a big deal. Any ideas?
Dear Rain, Not Today. Sincerely, My Parade

Re: Dress me + What is a good gift for this?

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Riding boots are very popular among the female students here. I would pair them with tights, a skirt, and a sweater, or maybe a silky top and a cardi. I would not wear the strapless dress.

You can have a plaque made with the date and the number of wins and the location on it, and of course, his name. And then maybe a GC so he can go to dinner and celebrate with his friends or GF.
  • Options
    InksWellInksWell member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Definitely a suit or the outfit suggested by MinM.  That much snow is definitely too much for a strapless dress.  Stay warm!

ETA:  No really original gift ideas - sorry.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    InksWellInksWell member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    yeah, the strapless never leaves home without a jacket or cardigan. The world isn't ready for that.
  • Options
    6fsn6fsn member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'd probably wear the black suit with the silky top or one of the skirts with the silky top with heels.  Riding boots doesn't scream semi-formal to me, even on a college campus.  Then again I went to a very preppy college.

I like Min's gift idea.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Yes, that is true about it being a semi-formal event. I retract my suggesiton (re: the outfit) and submit 6's suggestion.
  • Options
    InksWellInksWell member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

Two additional questions... how do you feel about patterned hose? With a  black pencil skirt, plain black heels, and a simple top?  like these:

An how do you feel about "shooties"... I've never worn mine with a skirt before, but i've seen it with skirt/hose in some mags and wonder if real life people can pull this off. I'm thinking these (plain black also) would be better than regular heels in the snow.

• Options
    baconsmombaconsmom member
    5 Love Its First Answer First Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    LOVE patterned hose (and am pissed that they're so expensive in plus sizes!). 

HATE booties. No, I won't use that ridiculous word you used for them, either. 
  • Options
    InksWellInksWell member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    booties = above the ankle, shooties = below. One makes your legs look fat and short, one less so. If there weren't a difference I wouldn't use the ridiculous word.

Bmom- I got my tights at Target, I'm a pants size 18/20 and the 2x size leave me plenty of room to grow.
  • Options
    baconsmombaconsmom member
    5 Love Its First Answer First Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    I get my tights at Target, too, when I can. My Target hates fatties, so it's not exactly reliable. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards