Wedding Woes
Options

i can't stop reading this blog

http://fedupwithschoollunch.blogspot.com

this poor woman ate a school llunch every day for a year.  some of those lunches are just ... not good.

i think tonight i should call mom and thank her for making my lunch almost every day throughout my school days.

Re: i can't stop reading this blog

• Options
    edited December 2011
    It is bad. I need to start taking pics for you.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    When I was collecting data one day, I ate at the school.

Chicken nuggets, mashed potatoes and a biscut. The optional item was corn. The chicken nuggets were the best item.
  • Options
    MrsMyrtleMrsMyrtle member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Oh me too, hmo. I hated it at the time, but it's clear now I was saved from food poisoning numerous times.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    A friend of mine posted her daughter's school lunch menu. It's awful.

One week was PBJ, bean & chees burrito, popcorn chicken w/mashed potates, deep dish pizza, and Lasagna roll up. All come with optional salad. Tater tots and salad are about as close to vegetables as it gets.
    MIL is thrilled you're joining the family. Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    MrsMyrtleMrsMyrtle member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I remember having a few decent entrees (the cooks were all local women and actually made the food themselves), but the vegetables were always boiled within an inch of their life. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Now everything is driven to the school where it is reheated. Blech....
  • Options
    TheDuckisTheDuckis member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My school lunches were awesome. I still have fond memories of Wednesdays. Mmmm, baked potatoes.
  • Options
    DG1DG1 member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
  • Options
    6fsn6fsn member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We didn't have school lunches until high school.  Well once a month we could order from Little Drummer Boy chicken or Dairy Queen.

Our high school lunches were quite good though.  Either homemade or a nice salad (not just lettuce).  It probably helped that even if every last person bought lunch they'd only be feeding 200.  I still sometimes crave the chicken and noodles. 

Congress did pass a reform act.  We'll see what it does.
  • Options
    VarunaTTVarunaTT member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited December 2011
    My elementary school was small enough that it was still a real cooking kitchen.  And the head chef?  was the former chef for the governor's mansion in Oklahoma.  She retired from that, decided she wasn't done, and came to the school district super cheap.  Yeah, NO ONE brought their lunch.

But honestly, I think this all goes back to the majority of people not having real cooking skills anymore.  They have box opening/mixing/microwaving skills.
  • Options
    mrsconn23mrsconn23 member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Our HS cafe had three different lines for different food.  Everything from 'homestyle' meals to a sandwich cart to fries/nachos/pizza/breadsticks a la carte.  We also had a 'room' that had like 6 pop machines in it. And a shop where you could buy school supplies and candy.  

We also had open campus.  My Sr year, BFF/SIL and I left and went to Arby's or Burger King every day because we could get back to the school in time for the next class.  By leaving, that also meant we could get in a cigarette.
  • Options
    +candi++candi+ member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    This makes me glad that I make Autumn's lunch every day. Also, I created a mini food snob so she doesn't even want to try school lunch, but whatevs.
    imageimage
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards