Pennsylvania-Philadelphia
Options

Apartments North of Philly

I'm from NJ, and now live in DE, so I don't know much about Philadelphia or the cities/towns outside of Philly.  DH is still talking to the company who offered him a job out in Bethlehem.  They're negotiating, and I have a feeling they may offer to help move use closer since the commute is a big reason he isn't jumping to take the job.  Since I work in center city, we obviously can't move all the way up to Bethlehem, so we would need to stay somewhere North of Philly, but not too far.  I want to start looking into apts, just in case they offer relocation money, because we would have to move fast.

Do you have any recommendations for apartments/rentals in the Norristown/KOP or surrounding area? 

TIA!

Re: Apartments North of Philly

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I lived in Roxborough for three years and LOVED it.  What kind of place are you looking for?  2bedroom? townhouse?  I rent a townhouse in Blue Bell and its great, but may be a bit far for you.  Lots of apartment complexes in plymouth meeting, KOP, conshy.  If you're looking at Norristown, I LOVE Amerbutt's apartment complex.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Bean32Bean32 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Conshohocken is wonderful. I lived there for a few years right out of college and really miss it. It's also at the junction of 76 and 476, which makes commuting anywhere pretty easy (but also adds some traffic).
    BabyFetus Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I live in KoP.  Not sure of pricing, but the Henderson Square II apartments off Henderson Road are very nice.  The location is a bit weird (overlooking Genuardi's), but the apartments themselves are lovely and the location within town is awesome.  The Valley Forge Towers are a little older but are a great option - very well maintained and the views from the upper floors are wonderful.  Can't beat location there, either - they are right near were 422, 202, the turnpike, and 76 all meet. In an almost identical location but lower in price is the Lafayette at Valley Forge, which is where DH and I had our first apartment.  Our place there wasn't our favorite, but it was definitely livable.  I'm sure they have some remodeled apartments that are less outdated than ours was.  Couldn't beat the location, though.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Well I've gotten used to the 2 bedroom that we live in now, so if we can afford it I would like to get another 2br.  I'm not really picky about apt or townhouse layout.  I would like to keep the monthly cost around $1k give or take a few hundred.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    LRM - The Lafayette is managed by the same company as an old apt I lived in.  Everything at the complex in Media was outdated too!  I wouldn't rent from them again, but thanks for the rec!  I'll look into the other ones.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    MH - I'm assuming you'd want to be near a train line so you can commute into the city, right? I don't know that I'd recommend KOP.  Its not super convenient for train commuters.  Places like Conshy, Plymouth Meeting, Norristown, Roxborough are convenient to the R6/Norristown line.  Up where I live, around Blue Bell, is convenient to the R5/Lansdale line.  You can even look around Chestnut Hill, which has two lines that run through it.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_pennsylvania-philadelphia_apartments-north-of-philly?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:105Discussion:0f3f52a1-e81e-4a28-8dac-dd959eee9f91Post:bcd7a2e2-9417-4859-9944-6cb6f9151a86">Re: Apartments North of Philly</a>:
    [QUOTE]MH - I'm assuming you'd want to be near a train line so you can commute into the city, right? I don't know that I'd recommend KOP.  Its not super convenient for train commuters.  Places like Conshy, Plymouth Meeting, Norristown, Roxborough are convenient to the R6/Norristown line.  Up where I live, around Blue Bell, is convenient to the R5/Lansdale line.  You can even look around Chestnut Hill, which has two lines that run through it.
    Posted by caraellen23[/QUOTE]

I despise public transportation.  If I can continue to drive in without too much trouble I would do that.  I know its stupid, but its just my preference.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Then I'd look at KOP for its convenience to the major highways!  I don't know that I could drive 476 and 76 every day though. I might go postal.
  • Options
    jlb734jlb734 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I currently am just outside of Norristown--in Jeffersonville/West Norriton--Westover Club Apartments are worth checking out--pet friendly (if that matters) and really nice (big!) layouts.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_pennsylvania-philadelphia_apartments-north-of-philly?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:105Discussion:0f3f52a1-e81e-4a28-8dac-dd959eee9f91Post:22a0a493-9859-4400-bd00-de7a53aa177c">Re: Apartments North of Philly</a>:
    [QUOTE]Then I'd look at KOP for its convenience to the major highways!  I don't know that I could drive 476 and 76 every day though. I might go postal.

I drive 95 everyday now, and a short distance on 76!  I  keep telling DH that I'm gonna buy an old clunker car with a steel bumper one day and just keep driving.  If people want to cut me off or drive at me, they can feel free because I'm just going to hit them.
  • Options
    jlb734jlb734 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_pennsylvania-philadelphia_apartments-north-of-philly?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:105Discussion:0f3f52a1-e81e-4a28-8dac-dd959eee9f91Post:21bb07ae-29ce-4994-8d2f-8e5212e67585">Re: Apartments North of Philly</a>:
    [QUOTE]I lived in Roxborough for three years and LOVED it.  What kind of place are you looking for?  2bedroom? townhouse?  I rent a townhouse in Blue Bell and its great, but may be a bit far for you.  Lots of apartment complexes in plymouth meeting, KOP, conshy.  If you're looking at Norristown, I LOVE Amerbutt's apartment complex.
    Also, Cara--is your townhouse in a complex?  FI and I are in love with the 2BR townhouses at ARK by Korman, which is in Bluebell--I work in Conshy so the location would be better than my West Norriton location now, and he'll be working from home.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    jlb - we looked at those and found them to be a bit on the small side, though they are dog friendly and the community is very nice.  PM if you want and I'll tell you about where we live.  Sorry internet weirdos, not posting that here.
  • Options
    Jesster153Jesster153 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm in KOP and I'm about a 10 minute drive to the Consohocken train station(there's back roads so you dont have to get on 76) - so I just drive there and catch the train.  Septa can be a pain, but for me Its better
    than sitting in traffic :-P
    Siggy Challange: Me and my girls :)
    Photobucket
  • Options
    Amerbutt81Amerbutt81 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    MH-  I am right on the Norristown/ Plymouth Meeting border.  The 2 br apartments in my complex run about $1400 a month, but you can get some good deals if they have been vacant for a while-- don't be afraid to ask!

We really like it here.  It's super convenient to the major highways, has a great clubhouse/ community and most of the people are around our age.  It also has an open floor plan which is something we have fallen in love with... and don't get me started on my walk in closet (aka my dressing room).

you can e-mail me at Honestlyok613 at gmail dot com if you want more information on the complex. ;) 
    Mrs. JEGs
    est 7.17.10
    [IMG]http://i43.tinypic.com/2md4eb4.jpg[/IMG]
    Hunter Fillmore
    October 1, 2011

Lizzie In Progress
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I used to live in Bethlehem and my family lives up in that area, so I travel that route quite frequently.  If you want to be somewhere that you both could commute, I think Plymouth Meeting might make the most sense, or maybe Conshy.  KOP is going to be way over an hour to Bethlehem.  Personally, I think it's an ugly commute in either direction but Plymouth Meeting would put you closer to Philly, yet right there at the Northeast extension.  Any commute involving 76 could be a nightmare.  Have you thought about Lansdale?  That's closer to a 45 minute commute from Bethlehem, but I realize this puts you pretty far out from CC.  At least in any of those areas you could take the train and avoid the extension and 76.

Sorry, that's a tough one... I also lived in Allentown, which is about 10 minutes closer to Philly and considered the commute.  We ended up moving to CC instead because it was really just too tough for us. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards