Wedding Woes
Options

More dickery (long)

About 8 years ago, it was decided that when Mom built her house, she would convert the garage space into a studio apt for Gma.  Gma moved in and put her house (which is 1 block away from Mom's) on the market.  My aunt and uncle asked if Gma would sell it to them, for a discount.  

Backstory:  Aunt and uncle are IRL hoarders and have never had anything but their junk.  They've lived in Section 8 housing for 30+ years like vagabonds and are generally shitty with handling IRL situations.  Also, this is the same weirdo family with the 28 y.o. who keeps a notebook record on Dancing with the Stars and still lives at home b/c they need her income to support my unwilling to work aunt and younger cousin.

Gma decides that this would be a good opportunity for aunt and uncle (and 2 cousins), and sells them the house FOR WHAT THEY COULD AFFORD or get in terms of FHA financing.  So, for like $50k Gma sold her house.  The house she worked 3-5 jobs for 30 years to own.  The house in which she raised 6 of her 8 children.  FTR, Gma still has a key and when the Hoarders are gone, sometimes she goes over there and just drags home bags of complete crap to throw away.

Ffwd to January 2010.  Uncle discovered some serious termite damage.  Um, hello, the house is 100% wood and was built 100+ years ago.  Also, preventative treatment is necessary, which you think he would've known since he worked in pest control for 15-20 years.  Uncle... and the story is fuzzy here... called his bank to refinance the house so that they could afford the termite repair.  Red flags go up at the mortgage company, so they call the insurance company and someone sends out an inspector.

Essentially, after inspection, the termite damage is just too bad and the insurance/mortgage company decide that they can no longer cover the house unless Uncle does the repairs.  They give him 30 days, but are not willing to extend financing to fix the termite damage.  Uncle does nothing, says nothing.

Ffwd to December 18, 2010, Uncle calls Mom (who lives 1 block away) and says that they need to store their potted plants on Mom's extra lot.  Mom says okay, but asks what's up.  Uncle tells her they have until 12/30 and then they have to vacate the house.  The bank now owns the house, Uncle stopped paying when he decided he couldn't do anything to save it, and so now they have nowhere to go and don't know what they're going to do.  

Mom asked why didn't he say something earlier?  He said, "No one can help me!  Woe, woe, woe."  Mom said, "You have seven brothers and sisters who could have all chipped in and helped you keep Mom's house.  Now your lazy ass is shamefully losing the only home Gma ever had, which will probably be sold to [the neighboring church]."   Gma would rather die than see it go to the church.  Mom told him goodbye and good luck - they weren't staying with her (she has 3 empty rooms).  She also told him he could suck it if he thought they were welcome to show their faces at the Christmas meal.  And that HE would have to tell Gma that the bank now owns the house.

I know we all need to learn to let it go and move on, but what afuckingdick.  Even I would have chipped in to keep the house in the family and have it restored.  ::smdh::
imageimage

Re: More dickery (long)

• Options
    **O-Face****O-Face** member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Um no.  You don't need to move on.  Dude is a moron, even if he is family.  If you wait for your life to do things for you, that is no life.  :(  Or something.
  • Options
    nicoleg1982nicoleg1982 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Amen, Wzz.
    imageimage
  • Options
    hawkchik11hawkchik11 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

I know it doesn't make you feel much better but every family has them. My dad helped my gma buy a new car recently. She's been buying little white ford towncar's for as long as I can remember. Her new car is the first one she's ever had with bucket seats. She's so frugal she traded her old car and bought a Lincoln MKZ. Now this woman is one of my heroe's. She worked all kinds of hours as a nurse to support my dad, gpa and uncles when women were just not supposed to work. My gpa was a farmer and handyman and while she's not very feminist she did what she had to to give her family what they needed. When my uncle found out that she got a new car the only thing he said was, "Didn't you think I might want your old car?" Meaning he was not planning on paying her for it. Some people are just unfathomably selfish.

• Options
    loveshine1loveshine1 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Wow. That is some serious nonsense.

What a jackass.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    notamrsnotamrs member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Damn.  I'd be furious, too.  Are these the same relatives who got compensation from BP after the oil spill (am I remembering that right)?
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Same side of the family, different people though.  These ARE the same people who showed up to my wedding uninvited.  Sometimes, the bridge just doesn't ever reach to the other bank, you know.
    imageimage
  • Options
    tawillerstawillers member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I feel so badly for your grandma.  I can only imagine how she's going to react/feel when she finds out.

And good for momma nicoleg for letting him have it.  He sounds worthless.
  • Options
    mrsconn23mrsconn23 member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Wow, your uncle sucks hardcore.  What a douchenozzle.   I'd be furious as well.

• Options
    HeffalumpHeffalump member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited December 2011
    That would make me furious, nicoleg.  Absolutely furious. 

I don't understand how some people don't just die of shame. 

I guess it's too far gone to try to work things out wth the bank, from the sounds of it?  What a douche.
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yes, Heffa.  The sale signs go up on 1/2.  They're marketing it as a "lot" since the house is uninhabitable and the bank isn't willing to rehab the house.  Trust me, the church next door will pay a pretty penny to own another lot on that block.
    imageimage
  • Options
    HeffalumpHeffalump member
    edited December 2011

Then that blows, big time.  What an ass.  I can't even imagine how I would feel in your grandmother's shoes, especially since she really didn't want that church to get her lot.

• Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I expect a major blow up/out, family-wide shunning and even more ridiculousness to come from that family.  If Mom had to, she would've taken out a second mortgage on her house to help keep Gma's house standing.  At least til Gma died.
    imageimage
  • Options
    mrsconn23mrsconn23 member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    It's truly awful for your Gma.  :(  I feel so sorry for her. 
  • Options
    VarunaTTVarunaTT member
    edited December 2011
    That's beyond mere dickery.  I doubt I'd be able to talk to that side of the family ever again, much less politely.
  • Options
    6fsn6fsn member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    That makes my blood boil.

The only smile is that you obviously inherited your balls from your mom. 
  • Options
    zsazsa-stlzsazsa-stl member
    First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited December 2011

This is so sad.  I feel bad for everyone involved. 

Even though your uncle did this to himself, it sounds like it is the result of mental illness. 

I just a friendly gal looking for options.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    jojobrnjojobrn member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_wedding-woes_dickery-long?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:47Discussion:e784ab20-d56a-45a8-87f8-4c6ae86ba88aPost:07f5e39f-c635-425c-8862-0130bfbee253">Re: More dickery (long)</a>:
    [QUOTE]or, some people are just moochers and have no problem take take taking when other people are willing to give. i also have no faith in humanity, so there's that.
    Posted by Wifezzilla[/QUOTE]

<div>I have to agree. This makes me sick, I can't imagine how your poor Gma is going to take it.</div>
  • Options
    TheDuckisTheDuckis member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    How awful for your family.

99% of the time I'm right there with zsa on feeling bad for people who screw up as a result of mental illness. However, in this situation I think I would just be too hurt and angry to give a sht what happened to this guy.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards