Wedding Woes
Options

Bridesmaid w/ PURPLE HAIR?!!!

My FSIL is a bridesmaid in our wedding this Spring.  She recently dyed the bottom half of her hair purple!  I didn't worry much because she is 17 and I'm hoping it is just a phase she gets out of.  When we went to the store to try on her dress, she commented on how her purple hair is going to match her purple dress!  Am I overreacting, or do I have a reason to be concerned?  I really don't want her hair to be PURPLE in our wedding pictures, but I don't want to start our new relationship off to a bad start by asking her to change it.  Am I out of line to say something?  She didn't have it before we asked her to be in the wedding, so I almost feel it was a little unthoughtful of her to do it without saying anything to us, or at least asking us if we had a problem with it.  My FI said he would say something to her about a month before if she hasn't changed it, but should I just leave it alone?  What do you think?  I'm driving myself crazy! Sealed

Re: Bridesmaid w/ PURPLE HAIR?!!!

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Lol, leave it alone. You don't get to decide what color your bridesmaids hair is! Plus, she's 17..chances are she'll be bored of it and change it before your wedding
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Leave it alone. If you want her to change it, the last thing you want to do is say something to her. Do you know anything about teenagers? Can't Wait is right...by the time the wedding rolls around, she may change her mind on her own. And you will have plenty of pics without her in them if she doesn't change it. Seriously. It's OK. It will be OK. If some purple hair is the worst thing that happens to you, you'll be just fine. Really.
  • Options
    6fsn6fsn member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Which is more important, purple hair or your relationship?  I hope you say the relationship.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Since it's the bottom part of the hair, you could ask your attendents to wear their hair in a chignon, bun, or twist, and the color would be much less noticible than if it was down and in front.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    *Barbie**Barbie* member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    hey, at least it matches the dress right now - what if she dyed it green out of spite?

i'd just let her go. heck, even if she doesn't change it, your photographer could probably touch up the photos to make her hair a "normal" color.

(note: good for her. i always wanted to dye my hair some crazy color - like electric blue - but never did. now i work in an office where that would be *discouraged.* maybe the first think i do upon retirement will be dye my hair a fun color...)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Leave it alone.  It's her hair.  And if you criticize it, or ask her to change it, or ask her to get a hairstyle that makes it clear to her that you're trying to hide her hair color, I guarantee you it will only make the situation worse (spoken as someone who had electric blue and green in my hair at 17 - any attempt to get me to "tone it down" would've provoked a "you don't like it?  Well how do you feel about RAINBOW HAIR?!?!" response).  If nothing else, your wedding photos will make awesome blackmail photos in 5 or so years when she's an actual adult.  :-)
    imagemy to-read shelf:
    Steph's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (to-read shelf)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    You can't dictate to your wedding party to change their appearance in ANY way. Purple hair will not ruin your wedding pictures. Nothing is going to be ruined. Just breathe. She might decide to dye it back, let it grow out, or dye it some other wacky color. If it's just the bottom, maybe you can have your girls wear updo's that can hide it some. Honestly, this is so not a big deal. One of our groomsman showed up at the wedding with crazy long hair. Our photographer had to keep telling him to push it out of his eyes. He seriously looked like a serial killer or something. But really, your attendants aren't in a whole lot of pictures.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I agree with the above and say to leave it be.  If she was commenting on how her hair will match the dress, she might have done it as a way to show she is excited over the wedding and excited to be a part of it.
    the worst you can do is become negative about it and she does something like dye the whole thing blue.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards