Wedding Woes
Options

::zsa-zsa::

Does your H have diabetes? If so, do you mind if I ask you some questions?

Re: ::zsa-zsa::

• Options
    Yes he does.  Ask away.

I just a friendly gal looking for options.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Is the treatment/management of it really horrible?

How does his diet differ from what most people eat?

Does he have Type 1 or 2?
  • Options
    Also, are the test strips really expensive? Does he have a lot of side effects.

And, thank you.
  • Options

It isn't really horrible, but having lived the first 45 years of his life not worrying about what he ate at all, he thinks it is crazy that he can't eat piles of cookies and skip meals when he wants.  But really it is not that much different that someone who is watching their weight.  Sometimes he has to eat when he doesn't want to, and sometimes he can't eat when he wants to. 

Stress can do wacky things to blood sugar.  The times he has gotten into trouble with low blood sugar have been times when he was really stressed about something and his blood sugar didn't follow what he had eaten in a way you would expect.  Or he does something like think that he is going to have a big breakfast of bacon and eggs, so he takes more insulin than he would for his usual bowl of cereal - not smart because there is almost no carbs in bacon and eggs (but that part is him just being dumb, he has to ask me all the damn time if something has carbs in it or not). 

Thankfully he is really good about remembering to take his shots.  It is habit for me to always double check that we have insulin with us if we are going out shopping or something with a chance that we won't be back home before dinner.  And he is also good about keeping a blood sugar monitor at his desk at work, sugar tablets an snacks and things in the car and in his desk.  He could be better at it, but he could also be a lot worse.

He has been told that he is kind of a hybrid of Type I & II (which doesn't make much sense to me).   Even though he didn't become diabetic until mid-life, it happened during a time when he was under a lot of stress dealing with a divorce, unemployment and several other issues.  One of the meds he was on has since been proven to cause diabetes in many people who took it. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options

WTF @ his meds! Has there been a lawsuit?

How frequently does he have to give himself shots?

• Options
    Test strips are not expensive, but I guess that depends on insurance.  Under ours we just pay a $10 co-pay per month and he doesn't refill every month because he doesn't always use them if it is a normal day and he feels fine.  What gets expensive is that he is on 3 different types of insulin.  If it were only one kind, we would get how ever many doses the doctor prescriped per month for one co-pay, but instead we pay three co-pays.  Still, it isn't too bad.  If we were to ever lose insurance, though...holy crap it would be expensive. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Dr. HS said there were a bunch of others meds, aside from the insulin that a lot of people with diabetes have to take? Is this true?
  • Options
    Side-effects: Not really as long as his blood-sugar is fine.  He feels bad when it is too high and then of course when it is too low he gets weak and sweaty and feels bad.  But as time goes on he will likely experience nerve damage that will cause numbness, nerve pain and do who knows what to his organs.

He gives himself shots 3 times per day.  He takes one in the morning before breakfast that has some sort of 12 hour arc of effectivness, one before the evening meal that has a 2 hour arc and one before bed that has a 24 hour arc.  He was on a completely different schedule under his old doctor and this plan took a lot of trial and error to get him on a schedule that worked for him.

And yes, there was a lawsuit that happened before he was ever put on the drug.  I'm sure "risk of diabetes" was somewhere in the small print when he got it.  I think the drug is still on the market.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_wedding-woes_zsa-zsa-6?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:47Discussion:ebe17200-8a2c-4aed-a434-40ebb2b604eePost:d43e0436-4b4c-417a-9949-cc9eae4d93d2">Re: ::zsa-zsa::</a>:
    [QUOTE]Dr. HS said there were a bunch of others meds, aside from the insulin that a lot of people with diabetes have to take? Is this true?
    Posted by MinM[/QUOTE]

DH is on a cholesterol drug, but that is it.  And I think he was on that before he ever had diabetes.  I think there are other drug options besides insulin (like metformin) for people with less severe diabetes.  But if there are other drugs, DH has somehow managed to avoid them.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    What was this medication treating that was worth the risk of getting diabetes?

Dr. HS was talking about baby aspriins to prevent stroked and beta blockers to get your blood pressure down and all sorts of craziness.
  • Options
    DH's blood pressure is always fine and he doesn't do the baby aspirin, either.  But I should ask him about that.  Sometimes if it doesn't come in a prescription bottle, the doesn't think it is important even if his doctor wants him to take it.  I can't get him to consistently take a vitamin because it doesn't get handed to him by a pharmacist.

During his divorce he was going to something like three different doctors who were all contributing to some kind of mega anti-depressant/adult ADHD/anit-anxiety drug cocktail.  I think he was on something usually only given for bi-polar situations.  It was crazy.  At the time he was ready to swallow any pill that he thought would help. Looking back he wishes he would have been more cautious about what he took, but that doesn't help much now.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Sounds like Dr. HS could be way ahead of himself here.
    imageimage
  • Options
    Yeah, the white coat syndrome is powerful when you are desperate for some help.

If you don't mind, I'm probably going to bother you more on Monday. I'll explain all of this then.

Thank you so much for the information.

Also, put his vitamins into an old prescription bottle ;)
  • Options
    Ha! 

Yes, white coat syndrome.  You should be especially careful when the white coat is fitted all too nicely around Dr. HS.  ;)

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options

Dr. HS doesn't wear a white coat. he wears jeans, boots, t-shirts and his SWAT team hat. He switches up to scrubs every now and again.

When I drove up this morning, he was outside doing work, chillin' with his dog. HAWT!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards