Wedding Woes
Options

heh heh heh.

Dear Miss Manners,
A relative of mine recently got married. On the back of their wedding program they stated that "in lieu of thank you notes for all the gifts you have given, we are going to use that money to donate to a local charity." Most of my family was speechless. Is this some new fangled way of getting out of responsibility?

Re: heh heh heh.

• Options
    mrsconn23mrsconn23 member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    HA! I'd take back my gift and leave a note saying "In lieu of a gift,  we've made a  charitable donation in your name in the amount of what we were going to spend on your wedding present."
  • Options
    TheDuckisTheDuckis member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Ten bucks says they don't even actually make that donation.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_wedding-woes_heh-heh-heh?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:47Discussion:ed0a613f-d87b-460f-8a65-a1bd40af4eacPost:bfdf77d7-ffb5-46ce-9773-54d00c096596">Re: heh heh heh.</a>:
    [QUOTE]Ten bucks says they don't even actually make that donation.
    Posted by TheDuckis[/QUOTE]

That's a sucker bet...Of course they're going to 'forget' to donate the money.  Morons.
  • Options
    edited December 2011

If they want money to donate to a charity they could make cuts in other places.  I'm sure the bride never considered buying a less expensive dress and donating that money to charity. 

• Options
    zsazsa-stlzsazsa-stl member
    First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    I'm with Mrs. Conn on this.

I just a friendly gal looking for options.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    hmonkeyhmonkey member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    i don't understand why you can't have a princess party and donate to charity.  it's not a zero sum game.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_wedding-woes_heh-heh-heh?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:47Discussion:ed0a613f-d87b-460f-8a65-a1bd40af4eacPost:8fda49db-d86b-499f-bbf0-f722f24979ed">Re: heh heh heh.</a>:
    [QUOTE]i don't understand why you can't have a princess party and donate to charity.  it's not a zero sum game.
    Posted by hmonkey[/QUOTE]

What I don't get is why anyone needs to use their wedding as the platform. You either donate to charity or you don't.   I think it's very poser-ish to try and incorporate it into a wedding.   It's like AW-y x 10 gajillion.  And I think that it's rather ironic that someone would want to come out looking all charitable while essentially throwing a party for themselves that's going to cost at minimum (for a barebones-DIY-Fest of a wedding) of a couple grand.
  • Options
    HeffalumpHeffalump member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_wedding-woes_heh-heh-heh?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:47Discussion:ed0a613f-d87b-460f-8a65-a1bd40af4eacPost:0dac15b5-1c3b-4115-ac03-044f78048c42">Re: heh heh heh.</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: heh heh heh. : What I don't get is why anyone needs to use their wedding as the platform. You either donate to charity or you don't.   I think it's very poser-ish to try and incorporate it into a wedding.   It's like AW-y x 10 gajillion.  And I think that it's rather ironic that someone would want to come out looking all charitable while essentially throwing a party for themselves that's going to cost at minimum (for a barebones-DIY-Fest of a wedding) of a couple grand.
    Posted by mrs.conn23[/QUOTE]
    This x 100.  By all means, contribute to charity, but don't shine a spotlight on your giving. 
  • Options
    TheDuckisTheDuckis member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    People like to act like weddings are such a big expense that they're blowing their disposable income for the entire year. I say if that's the case, have a smaller wedding.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards