Wedding Woes
Options

WDWWT?

Our volunteer coordinator came to me and said she had a volunteer that needed to give 92 hours of service.  She has volunteered with us before and I don't remember her performance level, but I do remember that she must have been a chain smoker because the office would reek long afer she left.  I spoke up about this and said I couldn't have her working near me because of this.   Pregnant or not, would you have said something or is it unfair descrimination?
br>imageimage
IF/Baby Blog
2 years, 2 surgeries, 2 clomid fails, 2 IUIs, 1 loss, IVF #1 - 10/25/10 = BFP!
TTC #2 - 6/12 surgery #3, FET #1 & 1.2 = BFN, 12/2012 FET #2 = BFP!
Lilypie Premature Baby tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers

I can't wait for the "im getting a divorce" post in 5 years or so because your husbands were fed up with your disgusting chair asses from playing on the knot all day and getting fired 4-5 times for not doing any work. you guys are all winners!! ~ Laur929

Re: WDWWT?

• Options
    baconsmombaconsmom member
    5 Love Its First Answer First Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    She doesn't smoke in the office, right? How does her smoking affect you, then? (And keep in mind the statistics on second- and third-hand smoke have been wildly overexaggerated in the press.)

I wouldn't have said anything, but then, it wouldn't have bothered me. I probably wouldn't have noticed the smoke smell - consciously, anyway. I probably would have wanted to stop for a pack every ride home, though. 

Oh, ETA: I don't much care if it's discrimination. She chooses to smoke: that has consequences. If she doesn't like the consequences, she shouldn't choose the behavior. So I don't think you're wrong at all. 
  • Options
    hmonkeyhmonkey member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    i would have said something.  i didn't want the temp who was pro-michael vick and i said something then.
  • Options
    DG1DG1 member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011

Well, I will say it affects you as much as anyone who smells - people who wear too much perfume or who don't shower.  Except that smoke smell lingers longer, in my experience.

I'm the biggest anti-smoking person out there, but I don't think that justifies not letting her work there any more than any of the other offenses.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    One of my clients is a health based, tobacco cessation program. Because of that, I've learned more about tobacco and tobacco companies than I ever wished to know.

That being said, right now, there is little to no research on the teratogenic effects of third hand smoke on an embryo or fetus. That smell the volunteer leaves behind can be potentially hazardous to you, your unborn child, and your coworkers.

Because the effects are unknown and the research is somewhat new, there aren't any laws on the books. So, potentially, it could be discrimination. However, if you volunteer to move (if possible) then you are taking ownership of the issue and it might be OK. I would talk to HR if she is hired.

(Also, from the research that I have done, the majority of smokers are willing to change some of their behaviors to accomodate non-smokers - i.e., won't smoke in common areas - so she might be willing to move)

I complained when The Ogre started using an e-cigarette in the office (H and I were TTC at the time and I didn't want her jacking with that, joke's on me!). I told my boss that the FDA hadn't evaluated the safety of that device on users or those around the user, and all of us could be in danger - this was a lawsuit waiting to happen. Ogre never used it after I complained.

Remember, there is no such thing as smoker's rights.

I don't care if people smoke, really, but don't come to work smelly.
  • Options
    baconsmombaconsmom member
    5 Love Its First Answer First Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    Well, there's no such thing as non-smokers' rights, either. There are really only individual rights. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I understand about not wanting to work near her - even if there aren't any health-related side effects, the smell of stale smoke for long periods of time can make me feel nauseous or give me a headache.  If there's somewhere else in the office they can put her that isn't near you, by all means you were okay in requesting to not have her in your area.
  • Options
    LnR70707LnR70707 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    It really isn't because of health risks to the baby...it is because the smell made me ill when I wasn't pregnant, so I know it will be much worse now (I still have very bad smell triggered m/s).  There is no HR dept because she is just a volunteer.  She can still volunteer here, I just declined to be the one in charge of her when it was offered to me.

I personally think, as a children's organization, having our front office area smell like a dirty truck stop isn't putting the best foot forward to prospective parents, but I know that is not for me to decide.
    br>imageimage
    IF/Baby Blog
    2 years, 2 surgeries, 2 clomid fails, 2 IUIs, 1 loss, IVF #1 - 10/25/10 = BFP!
    TTC #2 - 6/12 surgery #3, FET #1 & 1.2 = BFN, 12/2012 FET #2 = BFP!
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers

I can't wait for the "im getting a divorce" post in 5 years or so because your husbands were fed up with your disgusting chair asses from playing on the knot all day and getting fired 4-5 times for not doing any work. you guys are all winners!! ~ Laur929
  • Options
    edited December 2011

L&R - if you want me to check anything out for you, let me know. I am on a listserv with all of the nation's best ZOMG SMOKING IS THE DEBIL professionals.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards