Wedding Woes
Options

Baconsmom, a little assistance re the fat stuffs

I threw away my notes from the class where I first learned about the dubious health risk of body fat, so I no longer have a connection to the studies.  I know you will, though.  Or, you could just chime in on Relationships.

Re: Baconsmom, a little assistance re the fat stuffs

• Options
    baconsmombaconsmom member
    5 Love Its First Answer First Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    Oh, yeah, right, I'll be right over.

What are you looking for specifically? I don't have a lot of links to studies, but I can direct you to BigFatBlog, Fatshionista, KateHarding.net, and JunkFoodScience.blogspot.

I have some BMI links saved:

I also know off the top of my head that weight is 77% heritable, and that 85% of fat people NEVER GET DIABETES. Yeah, all that sht you hear about how we're all going to get the diabeetus and kill ourselves? Not true. That was in a study that came out very recently - like in the last two months. 

I get my fatblogs through the Notes from the Fatosphere Google feed; you might look that up and see what you can find. 

Oh, Big Liberty might have some good stats - not only is she a fatblogger, but she's also libertarian. Her posts are sporadic, however. 
  • Options
    ReturnOfKuusReturnOfKuus member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    You were being sarcastic about being right over, weren't you?
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Yes. Because the way to win them over is to start with an unpopular opinion that essentially calls them all bigots. 
  • Options
    ReturnOfKuusReturnOfKuus member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    Hell, it won me over!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    You could also look up Paul Campos' (and others') columns on how fat people are folk devils, and the whole Obesity! Epidemic! is just a moral panic. 

Here:

• Options
    GBCKGBCK member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Heh.
    I don't have the energy for this one today Kuus (or time--swamped) but I am w/ you on the 'ugh, do we have to have a 'war' on every bad habit ever?' bit.
  • Options
    **O-Face****O-Face** member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    How is being fat a bad habit?

I can't really get with the RE chicks.  I don't even like their topics.  I guess I suck.
  • Options
    InksWellInksWell member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

I must suck too then.

Dear Rain, Not Today. Sincerely, My Parade
  • Options
    GBCKGBCK member
    edited December 2011
    *sucked in* damn you.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_wedding-woes_baconsmom-little-assistance-re-fat-stuffs?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:47Discussion:f4e2a162-09ad-4d90-9cc7-5aafc720096cPost:4db609dd-4dbb-4b9b-9549-b0b0283760bf">Re: Baconsmom, a little assistance re the fat stuffs</a>:
    [QUOTE]How is being fat a bad habit? 
    Posted by **O-Face**[/QUOTE]

<div>Duh, O, it's because I just sit around all day stuffing baby-flavored McDonald's donuts in my face. I obviously could never have been born this way. Obviously, my mother didn't breastfeed me for nine months, and she was never home, and we never ate dinners together, and I never ran around like a crazy child outside when I was little. I've always been a couch potato who eats her feelings, will never be loved, and will never be happy.</div><div>
    </div><div>There. I think I got fat bingo. </div>
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    FWIW - I am thin and going to develop type 2 diabetes. Abotu 5% of people who get type 2 aren't overweight. So fattie =/= diabetes.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I love how it all points to FATTIE MCFATPANTS, not anything else. 

I mean, yes there are *some* correlations, but fat =/= unhealthy, and telling people what they can and cannot eat, or do and cannot do, is going outside the lines.

But what do I know? 
  • Options
    notamrsnotamrs member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    To play devil's advocate for a moment: first, I totally agree that fat does not always equal unhealthy and there are a lot of factors affecting health besides weight. 

But it's a little unfair to paint all the programs including "Let's Move" with a "this is a war on fat kids/people" paintbrush.  Most of them are about making healthy choices more accessible in places where they may not be the default, i.e., addressing the problem of "food deserts." 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    notamrs-I assume you haven't heard from parents that have had children in programs like this.  Without their consent.  ??

Tracking your child's activity, MAKING them run around...instead of just letting them ENJOY activity? 
  • Options
    notamrsnotamrs member
    edited December 2011

Oface - to be fair, you're right.  I don't have any experience with those parents whose kids are in programs like that.  And I hate that any program working to increase physical activity for kids would make anyone feel like it's a chore instead of, as you said, encouraging them to be active in a way that's enjoyable. 

I was under the impression that the First Lady's campaign was about providing tools and information to help families make healthier choices and increasing access to better nutrition in schools and making healthier food choices more accessible and affordable for everyone, not forcing anyone to do anything.  Those were the kinds of programs I was thinking of.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    That may be what Let's Move is SUPPOSED to be about, but every time I've read one of its press-releases or coverage of M. Obama's appearances, they bring up fat. Every. Time. And usually someone says something about "eliminating childhood obesity".

Guess what, folks? The only way to elimiate fat people is to eliminate them. There will never be a world where everyone is as rich as Americans are and skinny. It won't happen. Maybe if we're all dying of starvation, the fatties will slim down a bit, but I'm guessing that starving hurts more people than not starving, you dig? 

If these programs talked HAES all the time and never hooked up with weight watchers or mentioned fat in any context, I'd have no issues with them (aside from, you know, constitutionality and freedom and blah blah). But that's not what happens, because EVERYBODY KNOWS fat is bad, and fat people need to be eliminated. We're not a natural variation on a genome: we're horrible sinners who should go to hell. 
  • Options
    ~~Busy.~~~~Busy.~~ member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Busy, stop stealing my wedding photos!
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Your wedding dress was green and that is a picture of a fat zombie, he won't stop eating even when he's dead.  He has an eating disorder, you need to help him. 

the picture is funnier when you enlarge it.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Busy, I love you. :D
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

WinkIt is also worth noting that zombies hate fast food. Now that I have ruined this discussion I'm going to go cry at the thought of menstrual cramps and acne that are in my future.

I bid you good day.

• Options
    notamrsnotamrs member
    edited December 2011
    Bmom - totally get where you are coming from.  From a HAES standpoint, what makers would you use instead of the obesity label?  Again, I agree that fat does not necessarily equal unhealthy, so what would be a good measurement rather than BMI (which seems to be the peg that obesity gets hung on)?  I'm not asking to be confrontational - you've really got me thinking about some things here.
  • Options
    TheDuckisTheDuckis member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I ate six ice cream sandwiches (wait, seven) while I sat in front of my computer screen reading and responding to that thread. Take that, Michelle Obama!
  • Options
    GBCKGBCK member
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_wedding-woes_baconsmom-little-assistance-re-fat-stuffs?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:47Discussion:f4e2a162-09ad-4d90-9cc7-5aafc720096cPost:493ae180-dad8-4263-937d-8ac560d3edab">Re: Baconsmom, a little assistance re the fat stuffs</a>:
    [QUOTE]I ate six ice cream sandwiches (wait, seven) while I sat in front of my computer screen reading and responding to that thread. Take that, Michelle Obama!
    Posted by TheDuckis[/QUOTE]

DANNIT, I almost died.
    Because I choked on my (not diet, regular) pepsi.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_wedding-woes_baconsmom-little-assistance-re-fat-stuffs?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:47Discussion:f4e2a162-09ad-4d90-9cc7-5aafc720096cPost:06b8add0-5d4d-4056-a891-ecf60a08ef27">Re: Baconsmom, a little assistance re the fat stuffs</a>:
    [QUOTE]Bmom - totally get where you are coming from.  From a HAES standpoint, what makers would you use instead of the obesity label?  Again, I agree that fat does not necessarily equal unhealthy, so what would be a good measurement rather than BMI (which seems to be the peg that obesity gets hung on)?  I'm not asking to be confrontational - you've really got me thinking about some things here.
    Posted by notamrs[/QUOTE]
    Blood sugar, blood pressure, cholesterol levels, general health. I mean, if you have no disabilities and can't walk to your mailbox? Something's wrong with you, regardless of your size. <div>
    </div><div>I used to stump doctors, all of whom told me I was really fat - and really healthy. I used to complain about my abnormally low blood pressure, and they would tell me it was impossible, until they took the reading. (Since gaining weight? My BP has normalized. Yay for not fainting when I stand up!) And that was when I was "only" 50 lbs. overweight, so they said. </div><div>
    </div><div>My current doctor hasn't mentioned anything about my weight. He's taken blood panels and pap smears and asked me about my diet and how much exercise I get and are my periods regular. Do I get sick a lot? No? All my numbers are good except cholesterol, which runs in my family - both parents have been on meds for years for it. My father is not fat, but his family are all very tall, very big people; my mother has yo-yoed because of antidepressants but comes from a skinny family.  Out of 4 kids in my family, two of us are short and chubby/fat; two are tall and skinny. It seems like a pretty even genetic distribution. </div><div>
    </div><div>The fact is, I can't tell by looking who's healthy and who isn't. No one can, not even doctors. So pinning a health initiative on a visible factor is ridiculous. It's like saying "Everyone with red hair is going to die tomorrow!" </div>
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards