Wedding Woes
Options

Cooking/Baking/Kitcheware peeps

I'm redoing my kitchen-

*I need new cookware. I have TFal and haven't had any issues with it for the last 10 years (same set) other than having to tighten the handles a few times.

Do I get more TFal or get one of these:
Circulon
Faberware
Cuisinart
Denmark

*Knives-

I do not have a set of knives. I have a few knives that I've pieced together here and there (not jail knives, I just bought them singly over the years) and I want a set. I like the Faberware set because it's red. Yes or no? What knives do you suggest?

Knife sharpener? I've my grandmother and great-grandmother have them, but I've always been to afraid I'd mess up the knife. Do you suggest I get one?

*Silicone whisks? I felt one, but hated it. Are the wire ones no longer safe? Did I miss the announcement about silicone bakeware?

*Silpat mat? What is this?

*Stand mixer-

KitchenAid or Cuisinart? Does Cuisinart have the bajillon attachments that I'd want to get if I got a KitchenAid mixer?

That is all for now. Thank you.
"I would be sad if sex was only about the climax, lame." Someone who is obviously doing it wrong
Photobucket

Re: Cooking/Baking/Kitcheware peeps

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I can only comment on the mixer and the knives, as I am kitchen stupid about the rest of the stuff. you want a kitchenaid. If nothing else, their customer service is amazing.

the knives: I have a set of Cutco knives that I absolutely adore. The sets are expensive ($800 if I remember right), but I've had my knives for 5 years and have never needed to sharpen them. I got my set for $140 because I sold them for awhile, but make friends with a rep and you can get the set half off. I've only ever had one problem with my cutco knives: one fell behind my stove and I can't reach it. They are awesome.
    and you wont need a  sharpener.
  • Options
    hmonkeyhmonkey member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    [QUOTE]I'm redoing my kitchen- *I need new cookware. I have TFal and haven't had any issues with it for the last 10 years (same set) other than having to tighten the handles a few times. Do I get more TFal or get one of these: Circulon Faberware Cuisinart Denmark
    Posted by HookaPants[/QUOTE]

whatever you decide, i generally recommend against getting a set, unless you feel that you will actually use every single piece.  your cooking style will help you determine this.
    i don't regret not getting a set; i don't use a big giant stockpot, unless i am making rice krispie treats.  i have 4-5 1qt, 2qt and 3qt sauce and saute pans.  i cook more smaller things, especially because it's just dh and i.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We have All-Clad and love them. They're pricey but I think our set will probably out-live us.

We have a Wusthoff knife set that are great. They have a really comfortable feel to them and are well made. I suggest going to WilliamsSonoma and getting your hands on a few different knives to see what works and feels best for you.

I use metal whisks. I hate the silicon.

Silpat is amazing. You can use it to line your pan when you bake. You can use it as a prep-sheet. It's just awesome. I love it and I want more.

I'm partial to Kitchen-Aid. I'm still waiting for our's to die so I can get a new one.  If you go with KA, don't get one with the bowl life - get it with the head that goes up and down.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    PS. Blargh, what you have is a hone not a sharpener. Hones are good to have but a whetstone and some oil will actually sharpen your knives.
  • Options
    *Candi**Candi* member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Cookware- I have some Calphalon that I like and also a few pieces of Tramontina. Walmart sells it online and it is rated just a teeny tiny smidge lower than All Clad and is a fraction of the price. It's worth looking into.

Knives- You really only need 1-2 good chef's knives and paring knives and then the set would be fine for the steak knives etc.

For the chefs knife I suggest Wusthof or Shun. They are expensive but cut like you would not believe and last forever. You can get good deals on Amazon usually.

Knife sharpener- I don't have one because I am scared to mess up my kinives :(

Silicone whisk. I have one that I use in nonstick cookware so it doesn't get scratched. Autumn uses it to whip her bubbles in the bubble bath.

Silpat- silicone mat for baking. Get one, it's great for cookies and candy making.

Stand mixer- KitchenAid. LOVE IT.
  • Options
    **Stinky!****Stinky!** member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I have a couple Calphalon pans that I love.

I also have three nice knives that I use for everything. Two sizes of santoku knives and a chef's knife. They're all I really need.

I hate silicone baking stuff. 

Silpat is a liner for baking sheets.

I have a kitchenaid mixer and love it. I can't speak for the Cuisinart.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    All I can say is, I made fun of H for wanting a kitchenaid. I thought he just wanted another fancy thing for the kitchen to be like his brother. I have used it more than he has. Get it.

The Silpat mats are silicone baking mats, so you don't have to use sprays, etc., to keep your cookies from sticking. Non-essential.

For sharpening knives, H has one of those stick looking things that comes with the set of knives. He uses it - I don't.
  • Options
    *Candi**Candi* member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_wedding-woes_cookingbakingkitcheware-peeps?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:47Discussion:f6dbac19-b6b7-4efc-9960-f067c1137e5aPost:1f8bd84c-d10e-4f8b-ae8c-b2904601c16b">Re: Cooking/Baking/Kitcheware peeps</a>:
    [QUOTE]I HATE my silicone wisk. The damn wisk end isn't string enough for anything. NOT EVEN BEATING AN EGG.
    Posted by Blargh[/QUOTE]

So true.
  • Options
    hmonkeyhmonkey member
    edited December 2011
    [QUOTE]*Knives- I do not have a set of knives. I have a few knives that I've pieced together here and there (not jail knives, I just bought them singly over the years) and I want a set. I like the Faberware set because it's red. Yes or no? What knives do you suggest? Knife sharpener? I've my grandmother and great-grandmother have them, but I've always been to afraid I'd mess up the knife. Do you suggest I get one?

i like the weight and feel of german knives.  i have wustof classics.  they are a bit heavier than other knives, and the construction is solid.
    i suggest you go to crate and barrel, or williams-sonoma or bbb and just ask to see the knife sets.  test out what feels comfortable in your hand, and make practice cutting and chopping motions.
    take a look at the sets, and again, think about whether you will really use all of them.  i actually bought another paring knife because we only have two, and they're generally both in the sink, waiting to be cleaned.

i do not recommend a knife sharpener unless it's a top-of-the-line electric, like a $160 chef's choice.  it's generally less expensive to take your knives to a professional.  there are a few smaller kitchen stores in the area that sharpen knives, and it's $1/inch, which is tres cheap.

blargh, that's a honing steel, not a sharpener.  it doesn't do any sharpening; it just hones.  it maintains the edge, but it doesn't make it sharp.  if it's dull, the honing steel will just keep it at the same dull edge.  a sharpened will take off the knife's edge, and re-grind a new edge onto the knife.
  • Options
    **O-Face****O-Face** member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I like my Kitchenaid, that's all I've got.

Oh and I like my silpat and my Santuko knives.  They're the racheal ray ones that I got as a gift.

My H sharpens knives for me, on his wetstone.  He's so handy.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Oh - treat yourself to a new veggie peeler. We got a new one, just to have another, and I was AMAZED at the difference. It is a kitchenaid brand.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    The only reason to get a silicon whisk is so it won't scratch pots in pans if you're using it to stir gravy or something.

We have calphalon pots and pans. They're really nice and don't scratch.
    MIL is thrilled you're joining the family. Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    *Candi**Candi* member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Oh, and the knife I use most often is the Wusthof Classic 6 inch. It's perfect.
  • Options
    **Stinky!****Stinky!** member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Agreed w/ hmo re: paring knives. We literally have a mishmash of about seven different ones.
  • Options
    hmonkeyhmonkey member
    edited December 2011
    [QUOTE]*Silicone whisks? I felt one, but hated it. Are the wire ones no longer safe? Did I miss the announcement about silicone bakeware?

i don't see the point of these at all.  where are the sharp edges that might scratch your cookware?

for whisks, the more wires, the more air you will be beating in.  i use the wire attachment to my hand mixer instead of a whisk; it's got twice as many wires.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    H also has many sets of tongs he uses quite frequently. Kitchen scissors (only to be used in the kitchen). Also, a meat thermometer.
  • Options
    hmonkeyhmonkey member
    edited December 2011
    i prefer the messermeister serrated peeler.  it's unbelievably lightweight, and it's serrated teeth really dig into the peel.

i like silpats for baking; you don't have to line the baking sheet with parchment, and it's reusable.  cookies don't stick to them at all.  but no cutting on silpat!  it's fiberglass covered in silicone.

get any kitchenaid, except for the artisan.  those suckers are loud.  and get a sideswipe blade.

and amazon is going to start selling that awesome glass bowl -- and lid! -- on may 1.
  • Options
    **O-Face****O-Face** member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Honestly, the best paring knife, I got for free from an insurance company. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    My favorite knife is from a supermarket. I bought for the house before H and I moved in. We were there every night getting it cleaned up. It was summer so we were bbqing all the time.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    oh yes, get kitchen scissors. I have two pair and I adore them both. (although the henkels brand pair are inferior to my cutco pair)
  • Options
    6fsn6fsn member
    edited December 2011

Cookware- We have Belgique (macy's brand) and I really like it.  A couple of skillets, saucepans, and stock pots.  I also bought one large non-stick skillet with a lid that's the Food network brand.  I like that one a lot too.

Knives- I personally wouldn't get a set.  Weigh each knife and and get what you will need.  I have Wusthof and Henkels for different things.  Our steak knives came with our flatware.  BB&B sells a butcher block with plastic rods instead slits so yu can put any different types of knives in it.

Silicone- I do not like it for anything except my silicone covered tongs.

Silpat- if you don't know what it is you don't need it. 

Mixer- I love my kitchenaid, but it was a gift.  I didn't research anything so I don't know if it's the best.

• Options
    hmonkeyhmonkey member
    edited December 2011

most knife sets will come with a set of kitchen shears.  most of these should come apart at the joint for cleaning.

• Options
    Butter CookieButter Cookie member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I"m a yes for silicone whisks. I don't use it for beating eggs, but I do use it in my sauce pans so I don't burn whatever I'm stirring. Also: Hard silicone spatulas (not super bendy like one you'd use to scrape batter out of a bowl) are the shizz. I use these more than anything else in cooking. That's probably just me though. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Kohl's has really good sales on kitchen aides. H bought my 5qt on sale, plus 15% off for opening a Kohl's card. We paid the entire balance as soon as we got the bill. He compared prices at Target and for what he paid at Kohl's would have gotten him the smaller KA from Target.

The KA Artisan is the model we have.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards