Wedding Woes
Options

Inks (and whoever else): What's an "altar call"?

? Never heard this term before. 

Re: Inks (and whoever else): What's an "altar call"?

• Options
    ReturnOfKuusReturnOfKuus member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    I don't think it's a Catholic thing.  Maybe some other kind of Christianity?
  • Options
    notamrsnotamrs member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011

An invitation at the end of the service for folks to come up and "get saved" - definitely not something that needs to happen at a wedding, IMHO.

• Options
    zsazsa-stlzsazsa-stl member
    First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    Ditto notamrs.

I just a friendly gal looking for options.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    MeganAngelaMeganAngela member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Do people actually do altar calls at a wedding?  At church service on Sunday, sure, but a wedding?  That is not the place for an altar call.  Even the thought of a couple doing that at their wedding icks me out.
  • Options
    InksWellInksWell member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
     Protestant, although Catholic missionaries would likely do it, too.
    It's when a preacher/speaker invites people (usually to come to the altar or wherever they are) to come an "accepting Jesus into their lives" or "be saved" or whatever jargon you want to use. Usually there's praying out loud, It's supposed to be a transformative moment. To be honest, it's a little old fashioned.
    Dear Rain, Not Today. Sincerely, My Parade
  • Options
    baconsmombaconsmom member
    5 Love Its First Answer First Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    Holy cannoli. 

And no, definitely not a Catholic/Lutheran/Episcopalian thing. I don't hink missionaries would do it: it takes months of study to work toward your baptism/confirmation as an adult in the Catholic Church. And there are specific behaviors you need to know and follow to be near the altar, as well. 
  • Options
    Butter CookieButter Cookie member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I have never seen this at a wedding, but I've seen it at every Baptist church service I've ever been to.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I wouldn't consider this to be old fashioned, but I definitely don't think it has a place at a wedding. 
  • Options
    InksWellInksWell member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yes. Sometimes they do have them at weddings. Sometimes pastors say "and I know Inks and Mr. Inks would consider it a great honor if they knew their wedding brought a lost soul to Jesus".
  • Options
    ReturnOfKuusReturnOfKuus member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    Holy cow.  No, Catholics don't save people like that.
  • Options
    MeganAngelaMeganAngela member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yeah, I was going to say that I experienced this a lot at churches I went to growing up.  Especially those that are Baptist or Church of God.
  • Options
    InksWellInksWell member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Well, I'm thinking specifically of third world missions situations as far as Catholicism goes. They still have to be confirmed but theres a kind of an "alter call" to attract people to the first steps of becoming a member. And "alter call" is the term- but there doesn't really have to be an altar involved. I went with Benedictines from Immaculate Conception in MO to Cote D'Ivoire in college and saw them do it in a public square. They called the natives forward to accept a blessing of some sort. Then they leave someone there to form a church and confirm the natives who want to convert (very simple example, i know there is more involved).
  • Options
    GBCKGBCK member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I've seen 'em at weddings.
    and funerals.  It's the literal 'come to jesus' moment.  Accompanied by "bringing in the sheaves' or whatever.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Pentecostals have them at EVERY service. Everyone goes up front to speak in tongues and compare who is more charasmatic.
    Even I have never seen one at a wedding, though.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards