Wedding Woes
Options

big bang theory

dh and i watched an episode of this last night.  it's the first time we've seen it.

you guys -- this show is not good. 

the sheldon character is particularly twee and annoying; such forced wackiness is not remotely funny.  every time he talked, dh and i kept looking at each other, all "two emmys?  this dude?"

the episode we saw was about a parking ticket.  sheldon shows up to court wearing a blue plaid suit.  oh, hilarity!  because it's funny!  the suit!  it's funny because it's blue!  and plaid!  what the what.

and then the voice.  the forced wackiness in the voice.  just terrible.

what am i missing here?  do i have to give it another chance?

Re: big bang theory

• Options
    give it another chance. watch a few episodes.

DK and I didn't like it the first time around, but have been watching a lot of the episodes on demand, and think it's pretty funny.
  • Options
    [QUOTE]just had to add, this is probably the best comedy show on TV fight now as far as sitcoms go.
    Posted by Wifezzilla[/QUOTE]

that is a bold statement.  and you might be dead to me right now.
  • Options

I watched the ep called the Shiny Trinket Experiment (I think that's what is was called) where Amy Farrah Fowler gets the tiara....oh man, I was howling.

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_wedding-woes_big-bang-theory-2?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:47Discussion:f87e5273-6464-425c-bc2f-0632158ca24aPost:3ad9aaa4-3f11-4b85-a4a9-31275c31410a">Re: big bang theory</a>:
    [QUOTE]just had to add, this is probably the best comedy show on TV fight now as far as sitcoms go.
    Posted by Wifezzilla[/QUOTE]

yes, yes, yes!  <3 BBT!
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_wedding-woes_big-bang-theory-2?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:47Discussion:f87e5273-6464-425c-bc2f-0632158ca24aPost:5406da3b-9c8e-4e46-8cde-546ae2a3ba62">Re: big bang theory</a>:
    [QUOTE]I watched the ep called the Shiny Trinket Experiment (I think that's what is was called) where Amy Farrah Fowler gets the tiara....oh man, I was howling.
    Posted by MinM[/QUOTE]

YES! 
  • Options
    It's weird, the more you watch it, the more you like it and think it's genuinely funny, even the episodes you hated at first.  Maybe it's some sort of chairass stockholm syndrome.  I have to admit, I hated it at first, too.
  • Options

I also hated it. Seemed very formulaic and forced. 

Then I realized I had accidentally put Season 3 in the DVD player instead of Season 1, so maybe I wasn't eased into it properly.

I like nerd humor, but I agree - Sheldon is such a caricature, and not really funny.

I feel like I should give it another try, but I have a LOT of TV to catch up on from the last few years, like mad men, and I don't think this is going to make the cut.

I also tried to watch "Numb3rs." I made it through 2 episodes. It's ok, but meh. I have better things to do with my hour.

• Options
    I also feel like the Sheldon character has changes quite a bit.....he's more twee now.
  • Options
    I liked it from "Go". Maybe it's the nerds I hang with, but it doesn't feel forced or contrived hardly at all to me. (I mean, it *is* a sitcom, after all.) 

Maybe my life is forced and contrived. 
  • Options
    YES YES YES x billionty 4eva

very poorly written and totally unlikeable main character.  i mean, i almost like kaley cuoco better and i don't think her mother could say that.
  • Options

One of the ones I watched was when Sara Gilbert was on and broke up with the other main guy because he took Sheldon's side over hers in a string theory (I think) argument. THAT was funny. To me.  So yes, the nerd humor. But IDK about the rest.

• Options
    I love it and also feel as though it's just like my life.   DH has some incredibly nerdy and incredibly intelligent friends.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_wedding-woes_big-bang-theory-2?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:47Discussion:f87e5273-6464-425c-bc2f-0632158ca24aPost:87531d44-71af-4e36-b364-008275f49aa8">big bang theory</a>:
    [QUOTE]you guys -- this show is not good.Posted by hmonkey[/QUOTE]

Yes.  This is all I have to say about BBT.  And it's on ALL THE FREAKING TIME.  TWO channels.
  • Options
    it takes being nerdy or having a lot of nerdy friends to really appreciate it.

i loved the shiny trinket experiment too
    "i'm going to have a whiskey, you want anything?"
    "no thanks, i'm playing grand theft auto later."
  • Options
    Okay, I'm nerdy.  I'm a scientist who watches scifi (and refuses to call it "syfy"), reads comic books, and collects Futurama action figures.  You don't get much nerdier than me.  And while I inexplicably enjoy the show now, it makes me cringe how unrealistically they portray nerds, especially the underlying theme of how only Sheldon doesn't secretly kinda want to be cool and mainstream.
  • Options
    I hate how women are portrayed on the show.
  • Options
    I'm trying to think of any group that's portrayed well, and I just can't. 
  • Options
    none of them are portrayed well, but there are basically no redeeming qualities in the women--they're clearly there as meat.  
    Makes me uncomfy.

That being said, I don't hate the show and I'd probably like it more if Penny wasn't a character on it
  • Options
    Do any of them have redeeming qualities?
  • Options
    My favorite thing is that they give Walowitz crap for ONLY having a Master's degree.
  • Options
    Love love love the show! FI brought this little gem to me when we first started dating. It took me awhile to get into it but now I get excited every Thursday when a new episode airs!
  • Options

i don't really care whether or not it portrays nerds accurately.  i care whether or not it's funny and well-acted.  this is a clown show, and the humor is on par with "two and a half men."

i think cbs has a comedy problem in general because NONE of them are good, which is probably why "rob" is on that channel.

• Options
    i agree with everything you just said about not caring if nerds are accurately portrayed, and only caring if it is funny and well-acted. i just happen to find the show really funny.

however, that show "rob" seems completely ridiculous, like they plan to play off of racial stereotypes for comedy. not my thing. i do not plan to watch that.

also, i thought about what you said about hating me or something that i thought this was the best comedy show on TV. actually, nowadays i happen to think Modern Family might just be the funniest thing on TV right now.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards