Wedding Woes

FMIL is Pissing me off

I need help on how to handle this situation. My FH and I took his mother my FMIL out shopping to get her an outfit for our wedding. My FH and I are paying for entire wedding. We took her to a few different places that she wanted to go and we couldn't find anything. So we took her to one of my fav stores and found her an absolutely beautiful outfit. She tried on 2 different types of pants with the top that we bought her. I told her to get to pick the bigger pair of pants that looked better on her and told her we could get them hemmed when we had the top fixed so it fit her properly. Well apparently everything we have done for her is not good enough. The day after we bought the outfit she went to a different shop and looked at other outfits until the ladies convinced her that the outfit we got her was perfect. Then she called me to tell me that she was going to take the outfit to be altered and that she would send me the bill. Then she did take it and had it altered and now she is telling me that the bill is at her place for me. Then after all of this now she doesn't want the pants that she picked she wants the pants that I told her to get. I am done with this, I have told my FH to deal with his mom cause I can't handle it. It is like we are a freaking ATM and she is expecting us to pay for everything for her. I thought that I was being nice because she doesn't have a lot of money but apparently I have just opened up a huge can of worms and I don't like it. Any suggestions on how to handle this. Because if she brings anthing to do with this outfit up again, I swear I am going to tell her where to go and how to get there.

SORRY SO LONG WINDED

Re: FMIL is Pissing me off

• Butter CookieButter Cookie member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_wedding-woes_fmil-pissing-off?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:47Discussion:fd4ce66c-58b6-4978-b640-21d1b36e9ca0Post:ff0e28dc-6bdd-4c15-8cbc-4294308071a1">FMIL is Pissing me off</a>:
    [QUOTE]I need help on how to handle this situation. My FH and I took his mother my FMIL out shopping to get her an outfit for our wedding. My FH and I are paying for entire wedding. We took her to a few different places that she wanted to go and we couldn't find anything. So we took her to one of my fav stores and found her an absolutely beautiful outfit. She tried on 2 different types of pants with the top that we bought her. I told her to get to pick the bigger pair of pants that looked better on her and told her we could get them hemmed when we had the top fixed so it fit her properly. Well apparently everything we have done for her is not good enough. The day after we bought the outfit she went to a different shop and looked at other outfits until the ladies convinced her that the outfit we got her was perfect. Then she called me to tell me that she was going to take the outfit to be altered and that she would send me the bill. Then she did take it and had it altered and now she is telling me that the bill is at her place for me. Then after all of this now she doesn't want the pants that she picked she wants the pants that I told her to get. I am done with this, I have told my FH to deal with his mom cause I can't handle it. It is like we are a freaking ATM and she is expecting us to pay for everything for her. I thought that I was being nice because she doesn't have a lot of money but apparently I have just opened up a huge can of worms and I don't like it. Any suggestions on how to handle this. Because if she brings anthing to do with this outfit up again, I swear I am going to tell her where to go and how to get there. SORRY SO LONG WINDED
    Posted by myremedy1976[/QUOTE]

I'm confused... what is wrong with this woman that she is unable to buy herself clothing?
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • mrsconn23mrsconn23 member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_wedding-woes_fmil-pissing-off?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:47Discussion:fd4ce66c-58b6-4978-b640-21d1b36e9ca0Post:ff0e28dc-6bdd-4c15-8cbc-4294308071a1">FMIL is Pissing me off</a>:
    [QUOTE]I need help on how to handle this situation. My FH and I took his mother my FMIL out shopping to get her an outfit for our wedding. My FH and I are paying for entire wedding. We took her to a few different places that she wanted to go and we couldn't find anything. So we took her to one of my fav stores and found her an absolutely beautiful outfit. She tried on 2 different types of pants with the top that we bought her. I told her to get to pick the bigger pair of pants that looked better on her and told her we could get them hemmed when we had the top fixed so it fit her properly. Well apparently everything we have done for her is not good enough. The day after we bought the outfit she went to a different shop and looked at other outfits until the ladies convinced her that the outfit we got her was perfect. Then she called me to tell me that she was going to take the outfit to be altered and that she would send me the bill. Then she did take it and had it altered and now she is telling me that the bill is at her place for me. Then after all of this now she doesn't want the pants that she picked she wants the pants that I told her to get. I am done with this, I have told my FH to deal with his mom cause I can't handle it. It is like we are a freaking ATM and she is expecting us to pay for everything for her. I thought that I was being nice because she doesn't have a lot of money but apparently I have just opened up a huge can of worms and I don't like it. Any suggestions on how to handle this. Because if she brings anthing to do with this outfit up again, I swear I am going to tell her where to go and how to get there. SORRY SO LONG WINDED
    Posted by myremedy1976[/QUOTE]

Why couldn't you trust that your FMIL could dress herself?   If you were going to pay for her outfit, why didn't you just say, "Here's $150 ($200, whatever) for your wedding attire, have fun shopping."?
  • baconsmombaconsmom member
    5 Love Its First Answer First Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    Wait - you took her shopping. You said you'd pay for the alterations, or at least implied it. Now you're upset she's taking you up on this offer?

I - have no advice for self-inflicted problems. 
  • myremedy1976myremedy1976 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

We couldn't just give her the money because she is a drug addict.

• Butter CookieButter Cookie member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    AHHHhhh that clears up a lot.

At this point all you can do is grin and bear it and learn not to throw yourself out there like that again. Sorry :-/
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • baconsmombaconsmom member
    5 Love Its First Answer First Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    Oh, well, then, she's just being herself. Don't like addicts? Don't deal with her - make your H do it. 
  • edited December 2011
    It is not that big of a deal. How much can a pair of pants cost?

It probably wasn't easy for her to have to go shopping with you and her son and have you pay for her clothes. She probably felt pressured to make a quick decision. She probably wants to look her best at her son's wedding.

Pick your battles. This battle isn't worth fighting.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards