Wedding Woes
Options

baking people

I borrowed a bunt pan from my friend's mom, as I am doing some baking for the office breakfast tomorrow.

It is a nice pan (friend's mom has an enviable kitchen, complete with all of the awesome succesories). She was telling me how the good folks at William and Sonoma told her to prep the pan - brush with butter and sprinkle with flour.

Me? I am thinking of spraying it with Pam and pouring in the batter (I am making a coffee cake). That won't kill the pan, will it? I know better than to put it in the dishwasher....but I'd be remiss if I jacked up her pan, so I want to double check.

I mean, that's how I roll with my bunt pan....but I am sure mine came from BB&B, not fancy pants W&S.

Re: baking people

• Options
    hmonkeyhmonkey member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    use pam for baking -- it has flour in it so it makes for an easier release.
    and bake it 25 degrees less than recommended; those ws dark pans really soak up heat.

what shape is it?  if it's the rose one, THROW IT AWAY.  that thing is impossible to clean.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    She has the rose one....she uses it to make ice for her big punch bowl for parties.

Her's is like this, but darker.

http://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/anniversary-bundt-cake-pan/?pkey=e%7Cbunt%2Bpan%7C6%7Cbest%7C0%7C1%7C24%7C%7C2&cm_src=NLASEARCH||NoFacet-_-NoFacet-_-NoMerchRules-_-

Would you recommend I bake the cakes seperately? Her pan has much more heft to it than mine.
  • Options
    zsazsa-stlzsazsa-stl member
    First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    I have a funky shaped bundt pan, too.  The cake is so pretty, but the pan is SO HARD TO CLEAN.  I hate it.  It has been used all of three times over the past five years.

I just a friendly gal looking for options.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Blerg....bundt. Her mom has a bunch of bundt pants. She gave me my choice of about half a dozen. I chose the simplest one.

This is what I have.

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?SKU=14742247
  • Options
    hmonkeyhmonkey member
    edited December 2011

YES YES YES that rose one is the worst Worst WORST THING IN THE WORLD.  it is the hitler of bundt pans.  soaking doesn't work -- just lots and lots of time and work with a stiff brush (time that could be spent eating the cake that came out of the pan).

ahem.

using pam isn't a big deal, but using pam for baking just makes it easier.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    OK. I'll plan to bake both cakes at the same time, on a lower temp and I'll just keep my eye on them to see if one gets done before the other. This will only be the second time I have baked in this oven...so I don't know if it runs hot/cold. If I fluck it up, I'll be at the store in the AM trying to buy something instead. (<- I don't want that. I want to sleep.)
  • Options
    Leg de NicoLeg de Nico member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    You can always spray with Pam, dust with flour.  Works just the same.  Butter just gives a richer, more salty outside (if you use salted butter, that is).
    aka: nicoleg1982
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I bought unsalted butter and H bought salted. Each cake calls for two sticks - I intend to use one of each in each cake. I was immeasurably proud of myself for remembering to out the butter out this AM. Now I need to remember to take the eggs out first thing when I get home. Baking is harder without my assistant.
  • Options
    hmonkeyhmonkey member
    edited December 2011

room temp eggs aren't a big deal.  room temp butter is.  you'll do great.

and tell pt to stop buying salted butter!

• Options
    edited December 2011
    hmo - This recipe doesn't have any salt in it, and actually tastes better (according to him) with salted butter.

I'll call you once I light my kitchen on fire.
  • Options
    Leg de NicoLeg de Nico member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I prefer salted butter, too.
    aka: nicoleg1982
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards