Pennsylvania-Philadelphia
Options

Major pain!

So, over the weekend, I've developed major pain in my mouth - not necessarily my tooth but I'm guessing the roots and it went all up my jaw. I'm guessing I'm going to need root canal? Has anyone had this before? I'm such a wuss!

Re: Major pain!

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Go to the dentist, don't wait, I did that once and need WAY more work.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    You may not need root canal. (It's not that bad. I had root canal in 4th grade.  I broke my tooth while eating a mouthful of sweet tarts at recess haha.) You may have an abscess or something. I'd go and get it looked at right away though. If you have an infection, you don't want to mess around with it.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I have, and when I went to the dentist, turned out I didn't have a cavity and I didn't need a root canal...when I asked him about the pain, he asked about, of all things, my sinuses.  Turns out, some sinus headaches can cause jaw pain!  Since I had a sinus headache at that time, he recommended I take some claritin and some Sudafed (not the fake stuff, but the stuff behind the counter), along with some Advil for the pain.  Once I did that, the headache- and consequently the jaw pain- disappeared!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I would definitely recommend getting it checked out ASAP, though- just saying, it may not be a root or anything major causing the pain.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    MBR, I'm going to hope its something like that. I'm not liking this already though. Ugh, I so hate going to the dentist.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    It could simply just be your sinuses, too. (because I'm a Dr!!!!! haha)
  • Options
    krissy609krissy609 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I had a sinus infection in the spring that was causing me major tooth pain, it was the worst pain ever. It was off and on, one day it would be unbearable and the next day it was fine, that is how I figured out it was probably my sinuses. Are you having any other symptoms?
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I don't have sinuses though - at least I don't think. I get really bad headaches almost every day; lately, they have been bad. who knows!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    oh I didn't see MBR's sinus comment. We're boph Dr's!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I don't have sinuses though - at least I don't think. I get really bad headaches almost every day; lately, they have been bad. who knows!I'm 100% positive that everyone is born with sinuses.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    No other symptoms and it is off and on. Ok, really stupid question...how do I know if it is a sinus headache?
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    lol! I guess I meant sinus problems?
  • Options
    krissy609krissy609 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
     I always can tell I have a sinus problem when I bend down and touch my toes, there is usually shooting pain all through my nose and up through my head.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I always can tell I have a sinus problem when I bend down and touch my toes, there is usually shooting pain all through my nose and up through my head.I will have to try this.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I have had a few root canals, they really aren't bad.  You are so numbed up you can't feel a thing.  What stinks is that they are expensive and then you have to get a cap, which is also expensive.
  • Options
    Fitkath5Fitkath5 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hey Val, Might be TMJ - I have that. You CAN get really bad headaches. Are you clenching or grinding your teeth in your sleep? I've had loads of dental work done. As long as you have a good dentist who numbs you, you'll be fine. Take Advil before the novacaine wears off. The WORST part is the bill! It's outrageously expensive if you don't have dental coverage. If you do, it's still not always covered. But, what's the alternative? To walk around in pain? You don't want that. It'll be okay.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Sorry to hear all this, Val.  I have no advice, really, other than to suck it up and go.  I went last Monday and they found two cavities...I have NEVER had a cavity before, but I was very brave and went on Wed. to have them taken care of.  I have issues with needles, but after my usual fainting spell from being poked at it was all OK.  If I can live through that, I have faith that you can make it through whatever this is! ;)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    :)My last cavity I had, it took 8 novocains to numb me so I wouldn't feel a thing!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    *gets woozy just thinking about that* They have this crazy computerized novocaine thing at my dentist that I hardly felt...it takes longer, but doesn't inject it all at once in the same spot so it's much less painful.  Just the same, about five minutes later my face got all flushed and I started seeing spots. I can't imagine 8 shots of novocaine.  OH lordy.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    As for gas Val, I love it makes the dentist very enjoyable! However you need to eat before hand.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    i have and hated it - will say though just having it fixed made me so relieved that it hurt less than i imagined.  Go now before it gets worse and stay away from extreme hot and cold drinks - use a straw and take advil/tylenol in the meantime.  Good luck.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards