Wedding Reception Forum
Options

Some questions

We aren't having dancing at our wedding and are going for more of a dinner party feel, so we don't have a DJ or MC. However, without having anyone like that, how do we announce it's time for dinner, or time for the cake cutting, or time for the send off? We don't have a microphone, so how should we do this? 

Also, after the bride and groom walk into the reception, what should we do? Do we mingle? Go sit down? Make a thank you speech? Any ideas are welcome!

Re: Some questions

• Options
    You could still hire a DJ to play easy listening or classical music and not have anything danceable.  Background music is always nice (or are you doing an iPod or something instead?).  You could always see if anyone close to you, maybe a sibling or someone in the WP, would like to act as an MC. 

The order of things is kind of up to you.  H and I were introduced in and went straight into speeches, then dinner.  When my SIL got married 7 weeks later, she and her H were introduced in and then had 20 minutes or so of mingling time before the speeches and dinner began. 
    Daisypath Anniversary tickersFollow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_some-questions?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:5Discussion:033ad514-b48a-4e8e-a4a7-af10d13792d4Post:dae2bcf4-c9ee-4ec4-a9b3-13f5b50b7359">Re: Some questions</a>:
    [QUOTE]You could still hire a DJ to play easy listening or classical music and not have anything danceable.  Background music is always nice (or are you doing an iPod or something instead?).  You could always see if anyone close to you, maybe a sibling or someone in the WP, would like to act as an MC.  The order of things is kind of up to you.  H and I were introduced in and went straight into speeches, then dinner.  When my SIL got married 7 weeks later, she and her H were introduced in and then had 20 minutes or so of mingling time before the speeches and dinner began. 
    Posted by daveANDkristen[/QUOTE]

<div>We really can't afford a DJ :( </div><div>
    </div><div>We could have a family member or friend announce a few things for us. How is that usually done? Like, how do you announce people to dinner? Can you just tap on a glass and announce dinner is ready? Or that the cake cutting is about to happen?</div>
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_some-questions?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:5Discussion:033ad514-b48a-4e8e-a4a7-af10d13792d4Post:218a1e70-4a0c-4501-9c7f-78f89f4f44ae">Re: Some questions</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Some questions : Is dinner plated or buffet? If it is buffet, someone will have to call each table. If it is seated you can just have someone ask people to take their seats for dinner. Same for cake. After you are announced in, if you two are hosting, it would be nice to welcome the guests quickly before taking your seats.
    Posted by Liatris2010[/QUOTE]

<div>We are having a seated dinner. I thought we could walk in, go to our table, which would maybe would indicate that everyone else should sit, and welcome everyone and thank everyone (we aren't technically the hosts of the wedding-is this still okay), and then dinner would be served? Does that work?</div>
  • Options

You might want to at least rent a speaker system and have a microphone attached to it for speeches and announcements.  Although, sometimes a DJ with their own equipment is just as cheap as equipment rental.

• Options
    JoanE2012JoanE2012 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited January 2013
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_some-questions?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:5Discussion:033ad514-b48a-4e8e-a4a7-af10d13792d4Post:d3d1d3cb-1537-4849-9ca9-6df203e10487">Some questions</a>:
    [QUOTE]We aren't having dancing at our wedding and are going for more of a dinner party feel, so we don't have a DJ or MC. However, without having anyone like that, how do we announce it's time for dinner, or time for the cake cutting, or time for the send off? We don't have a microphone, so how should we do this?  Also, after the bride and groom walk into the reception, what should we do? Do we mingle? Go sit down? Make a thank you speech? Any ideas are welcome!
    Posted by SmallenForever[/QUOTE]

I really think you should see if you can find someone that can lend you a microphone/speaker so someone can introduce you walking into the reception and make any announcements.  You can also hook up an ipod to play light music.  I think it would really add to the ambiance. 

As for what to do after walking into the reception, we did first dance, parent dances, toast then dinner.  We were served dinner first and ate and then went around to all the tables to thank everyone for coming.  Are you going to have a receiving line after the ceremony?  If not, I think it's nicer and a bit more personal to go around to the tables and thank everyone individually rather than making an announcement.
  • Options
    At FSIL's wedding, her father stood at the front of the cocktail area and asked that everyone be seated for dinner. Granted, it was a small wedding and his voice carries well but it worked fine.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options

My Fiance and I are not having a DJ either.  we have just decided to use his sound system and a ipod.  the best man will act as the MC to keep the event going.  Whatever order you would like to do things in is up to you but you might want to consider time.  how much time will speeches take up if you do it before dinner, etc.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards