• Images
  • Text
  • Find a Couple + Registry
GO
Reception Ideas

reception- bartender, questions to ask them

I'm meeting with a bartender for the reception. What should I ask them, offer them, and generally know before going into this meeting? I didn't set the meeting up, I wasn't even going to have one, but my future mother-in-law went behind my back and hired her and I just want to be prepapred so I can run this show not my future in-law. Thanks for any help anyone has. greatly appreciate it.

Re: reception- bartender, questions to ask them

• Make sure they can make the standard drinks like Cosmos, Manhattans, run & coke, etc....  Make sure she understands your alcohol/drinks contract and that you expect for her to follow the rules (i.e. well vs. call liquor, draft vs. bottled beer, etc....)  Also, give her some recipes for signature drinks if that's something you want.  Finally, I would ask her how she would determine that someone needed to be cut off and how she would do it or how you want her to do it.

And honestly, let her take it over and be responsible so it's one less thing for you to have to worry about.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_reception-bartender-questions-to-ask-them?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:5Discussion:0b59497b-c05e-409d-a1d5-fa91b89460dfPost:ee73560e-e66e-4986-8973-c5958574e9c6">reception- bartender, questions to ask them</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm meeting with a bartender for the reception. What should I ask them, offer them, and generally know before going into this meeting? I didn't set the meeting up, I wasn't even going to have one, but my future mother-in-law went behind my back and hired her and I just want to be prepapred so I can run this show not my future in-law. Thanks for any help anyone has. greatly appreciate it.
    Posted by dairyprincesspa[/QUOTE]

Ask about her experience - how long, what type of bars, etc. A club atmosphere will make her familiar with basics (rum&coke, shots), restaurant bars will make her familiar with "signature" drinks, etc. This type of conversation will help you understand her strengths. Ask about her carding policy (any legit bartender should card regardless of the event because underage serving or overserving comes back on them as well as the host/owner).
  • Are you having an open bar or a cash bar? I'd discuss the prices to make sure you are on the same page. If it's open bar I would discuss whether or not you are allowing guests to mix various alcohols and mixers to create drinks of their choice, or if you are going to have a list they can choose from.

I'd also make sure she has her license to serve in your state. I don't know if the LCB requires that, but I do believe that bartenders who have a license are also covered if anything does happen so it's good to have. Our hall has bartenders on staff. $100 bucks and no worries.

I'd also see how she handles people who have clearly had too much to drink. I've been to weddings where people couldn't walk straight and were still getting served at the bar. I've also been to weddings where the bartender was very clear about cutting people off who were too intoxicated. I do believe that licensed bartenders have to cut people off.

I'd be annoyed if my FMIL went behind my back, but I don't think this is a bad thing, especially is she isn't provided by your venue. I haven't met our bartenders, but the coordinator for our hall went over the bar stuff when we went through our contract. It was nice to know that things will be run smoothly and I won't have any worries as far as the bar or running out of alcohol is concerned!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards