Wedding Reception Forum

Favor idea! I like it but...

OK so here is an idea i read about from one of the 100 wedding websites I look at or get emails from (I went a little nutty when I got engaged and subscribed to everything!). It's a favor tree where you tie little envelopes to the branches. In these envelopes are a scratch off and a lucky penny! I wrote a little poem to be displayed in front of the tree and each of the envelopes have my guest's name on it so they know which envelope to take. I really like the idea but would love to hear thoughts from other brides and/or wedding guests about it. My first thought was everyone loves a scratch off :):) TIA

Re: Favor idea! I like it but...

• I guess Im confused. What is the favor? A penny? I still think edibles are the best favor, hands down.
  • I like it best out of the stuff in the non-edible favor category. My mother suggested scratch-offs as a wedding favor. I'm not opposed to it but we have some other ideas in mind (or may scrap favors altogether, depending on how much time and money we have left near the end).
  • Meh, it's alright. I wouldn't love it as a guest. It actually seems a little cheap/tacky to me. I would just skip the favours altogether.
  • I'd probably leave it behind. I don't know anyone else who would keep it either. Kids might enjoy it though. Favors are never required and most people don't miss them if you don't have them. If you must have favors, go with edible. Anything else gets left behind or thrown in the trash.
  • I think its a cute idea.  I haven't seen it or heard of it done before.  Most of my guests would think its great.  Its inexpensive and hey, if someone happens to win, its a really nice thank you favor.
  • I think it's a cute idea....however I'm methodist and the methodist church is against gambling so I guess I won't be using that idea lol..........but anyway I couldn't think of a good favor that I liked, so instead I'm going to make a donation to a cancer awareness charity (not sure which one yet) in memory of my aunt and FI's grandma..... then their will be a little poem on each table letting the guest no instead of a favor a donation has been made in this weddings name.......I know some people like an edible, but my salads will be pre sat, so as soon as they sit down they can dig in
  • It's cute, but I agree to spend money elsewhere.
  • I'd probably skip the effort and expense of creating the tree, putting them in envelopes, writing names, etc.If you want to give everyone a lottery ticket, why not just tuck it into their napkin at their place?  It's much less labor intensive work for you, and accomplishes the same thing.
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • I don't like it but that's JMO.  I envision a bunch of non-winning scratch offs lying around everywhere.I don't know how big your wedding is but scratch offs are $1 apiece at least and if you're having 100 guests, that $100 is best spent elsewhere, again IMO.
  • My daughter did the scratch offs with a penny at her wedding.  She put them in little glassine envelopes and had one at each place setting.  I loved the fact that I won some money.
  • JoeyOzJoeyOz member
    First Comment
    The tree sounds cute, but scratch-off tickets scream "trashy" to me.  Plus you'll have all the losing tickets laying around tables/floors.  But, I would love the idea if I was a guest and won big.  :-)
  • As far as favors go I would take a lottery ticket over a scented candle or tiny piece of chocolate any day. But I think the tree is a little bit much. My co-worker gave lottery tickets as their favor but just put them in little envelopes at each place setting, IMO there's no need to make a production out and have people hunting for their envelope.
  • I think it's cute and definitely one of the non-edible favors I wouldn't through out.
  • If you love it, then do it- who cares what anyone thinks! As a guest I wouldn't like it. People like something they can take away and keep, or something they can eat, and this is neither. I'd probably think it was a waste of money (because I'm VERY cost conscious- aka cheap) or tacky. Although- you could keep the leftovers and maybe win something! I doubt everyone would "get it."
  • Another thought- it depends on your family, but some people are VERY against gambling and might be "offended". Again, it depends on your family/friends. If you think they'll dig it, and you like it then do it.
  • lets be honest... nobody really likes favors for the most paty its a waste of time and money. i mean really did you need that cookie after the appertizers, dinner and cake... not really. Or the lottery ticket that you hope they give back if they win..lol...  we are donating to breast cancer research and epilepsy research. My FI mom is a 12 year breast cancer survior :) and my sister suffers from severe epilpesy.... leave a note where the favor would be saying you made a donation to these great causes (or any of your choosing) in the name of your guests or your wedding. EVERYONE will think that is the best favor ever :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards