Wedding Reception Forum
Options

New Year's Day wedding?

Hi all. I'm planning my wedding for the first weekend in January, and want to hear thoughts on having it Friday, Jan 1, 2010. One of the venues I really like is only available Friday, rather than Saturday. Do you think the guests would be hungover, or think it weird to be at a Friday wedding?

Re: New Year's Day wedding?

• Options
    I think that sounds like a great idea! I would make it as late as possible, because like you said people will be drinking the night before for New Years Eve. Obviously they'll be out late the night before, so that's why I would try to make it as late as possible!!If you love the venue, then go for it. If people know as soon as possible when your wedding is, hopefully they'll be able to come!! GOOD LUCK!
  • Options
    I do not have a problem with a Friday wedding.  But I would hate a Jan 1 wedding.    DH and I would have to work anyway, so we would decline.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    My parents were married on Jan 1, 1977. My mom said her uncles complained that they would miss bowl games and she said fine don't come. They actually had 100% attendance. I think it depends on your crowd to be honest. GL
  • Options
    I think you will have people RSVP yes and then not show due to hangovers/bowl games/ ect. Also people willl be tired and not want to party much as they have over indulged teh night before  
  • Options
    Honestly, I have no problem with Friday weddings.  But, having a wedding on Jan. 1 would really suck.  You'll lose a lot of people to standing holiday plans or guests that don't want to sacrifice their favorite holiday (like me and DH) for a wedding.  Additionally, if your guests have to work they'd be traveling on NYE would be be double-suck.
  • Options
    Friday is fine, New Year's Day awkward for all the reasons PP's have given.  I don't know about the USA but New Year's Day in the UK is also a national holiday so you can virtually double the price of everything.Personally I would also be worried about the cost for my guests attending a wedding so soon after Christmas and New Year.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards