Wedding Reception Forum
Options

No cake at this wedding

My fiance and I made an executive decision to not have a wedding cake at the reception.  Why you ask?  Neither of us are fond of cake nor have we been blown away by any of the tastings we have been to.What to serve instead?Our caterer served a phenemenal in-house made ice cream served with a peanut butter macaroon.  He also is open to suggestions of other items we can serve too.I was thinking along the lines of serving a variety of desserts, ranging from chocolate tortes to cheesecake.Any suggestions?

Re: No cake at this wedding

• Options
    I went to a wedding where they served cannoli for dessert which was yummy Any yummy dessert is fine
  • Options
    Do you still want the height and drama of a wedding cake?  If yes, then you'll want to look at things easily served in tiers (cupcakes, pies, brownies, cookies, and so on).  If you won't miss that element, then you can serve whatever you please.  I think the ice cream sounds fab.
    This is a neglected planning bio.
    This is a belated married bio, with no reviews yet because I'm lazy.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
  • Options
    I think the ice cream and pnt butter macaroon sound great, and so does a variety of desserts.We had cheesecakes instead of wedding cake.  Pics in married bio.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I love your idea!  I would be excited to be a guest at your wedding and to have that for dessert!
  • Options
    I attended a wedding in April where mousse cakes were served (held together on the permiter by lady fingers). they also had small pieces of flourless chocolate cake arranged on the table almost like petit fours.We are planning on using a Tort Diplomat (romanian cake, similar to the mouse cakes) and individual creme brulee's, as those are my fiance's favorite desserts. Who knows what will end up on the final menu, but those are ideas!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    I went to a wedding once that had an ice cream sundae bar catered by Baskin & Robbins instead of cake.  It was awesome.
    two years!
    after two losses, now happily expecting baby #1 09.16.12
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Brie Fit Blog | BFP Chart
  • Options
    find a crazy italian mother like mine to make a cookie table and she bought one little cake to put on top of the one display.  it was a really big hit to have a ton of cookies and cakes, and she bought little take out cartons so people could take them home with them.   http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p276/marissa3737/IMG_9231.jpg
  • Options
    If you don't like cake, don't serve it. It's that simple. However, options such as cupcakes, petit fours, ice cream cake, tortes, are still *cake*, despite what people may say otherwise. There are an endless number of options that you can serve instead that aren't related to cake at all. You are only limited by your budget and imagination. A short list to get you started for ideas:CheesecakeIce creamCannolisPies/cobblersCookiesBrowniesChocolate mousseFruit saladCherries Jubilee/Pineapples FosterCrepesFrench ToastThat said, a dessert buffet is a great idea because there's something for everyone.
  • Options
    My girlfriend did teired cheese cakes (3-4) maybe and her husband had a guitar shaped Krispy Kream cake and it was delicious.  There was plenty of dessert to go around and nobody missed the cake.  Plus I am from Pittsburgh so there was a cookie table.  I highly recommed it.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards