Wedding Reception Forum
Options

Two receptions?

My fiance and I have been dating long distance for a while and we recently got engaged and are planning our wedding for July of 2013. His family lives mainly on the east coast New York area and My family mainly lives in the Washington Idaho area. We are going to have the ceremony in Idaho with my family but we are wondering would it be tacky to have two different receptions one here in Idaho and the other over on the east coast for his family that wont be able to make the trip out to Idaho. Any thoughts or suggestions as to what to do?

Re: Two receptions?

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_two-receptions-10?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:5Discussion:1b916d3f-5a07-4887-a821-f5af7af9c81bPost:c90c79d4-9754-4264-902b-955c7f2aafdf">Re: Two receptions?</a>:
    [QUOTE]You can only have one wedding ceremony and reception, so invite everyone to the one in Idaho. You can have a celebration on the east coast for the people who were invited, but couldn't attend the wedding at a later date.
    Posted by Liatris2010[/QUOTE]

Seconding Liatris.
  • Options
    Have one ceremony and one reception (this is the party that immediately follows your ceremony). 

If you choose to have the wedding in Idaho and there ends up being a majority of family and friends from your husband's side that cannot make the trip, then plan a party in New York for a date after the wedding. It is very common for couples to have a separate party in another city to celebrate their recent nuptials, to accommodate those that could not travel for the actual wedding. 

Keep in mind though, that this is a party and not a wedding reception. Please do not wear your wedding dress or do spot light dances. A simple cake cutting and toasts are fine, after all you are celebrating your recent wedding. This along with a lovely dinner and drinks, maybe even some dancing if you're in a place with live music (e.g. like a nice restaurant or wine bar -there's plenty of places like this in NY) would make a fantastic additional celebration. 

Anniversary
  • Options
    Congratulations on your engagement.  I would plan one ceremony and one reception.  Unless you know that few people will travel from the east coast, I would recommend holding off on planning another party (not a wedding reception, as PPs covered) on the east coast until you see who is coming.  

We got married on the east coast, where we lived, but a lot of my H's family is in the Pacific NW.  We thought about doing a party in celebration of our marriage out by his family, but many of them came to our wedding, and we didn't want to have more wedding stuff.  We ended up not doing a second party, but we do make a point to visit and get together with everyone, generally.  
  • Options
    gmg75241gmg75241 member
    First Comment
    edited November 2012
    I believe you can have 2 receptions......I have actually seen and heard of it being done and it would not be called a celebration/party but a reception. Everyone see things differently but if major wedding planners (David Tutera & others) claim this is okay, then I figure it is since they would know and have seen them more than me lol. Even my wedding planner did being that she did not want to inconvenience her family too much and to make sure she was able to invite all of the people she wanted to so they would not be excluded.You can even put the same thought into it as you would your first reception. Its yours so you can call it what you want lol
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    TheVirginiansTheVirginians member
    5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited November 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_two-receptions-10?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:5Discussion:1b916d3f-5a07-4887-a821-f5af7af9c81bPost:379b028c-a044-4c32-9baf-8abe0fac56cb">Re: Two receptions?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I believe you can have 2 receptions......I have actually seen and heard of it being done and it would not be called a celebration/party but a reception. Everyone see things differently but if major wedding planners (David Tutera & others) claim this is okay, then I figure it is since they would know and have seen them more than me lol. Even my wedding planner did being that she did not want to inconvenience her family too much and to make sure she was able to invite all of the people she wanted to so they would not be excluded.You can even put the same thought into it as you would your first reception. Its yours so you can call it what you want lol
    Posted by gmg75241[/QUOTE]

If there were a show called, What Not To DO, then David Tutera would be the first example.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards