Wedding Reception Forum
Options

Reception Table Cameras?

Are any of you doing this? I was wondering what any of you thought about this. My thoughts were most guests bring their own cameras and don't even use ones put out on reception tables. Suggestions?

Re: Reception Table Cameras?

• Options
    We didn't do them.  I know people who have had them and they don't get the greatest pictures from them.  It also costs money to have them developed which to me seems like a waste of money if the pictures aren't good.

It is geting pretty common to set up a photo sharing page on sites like shutterfly where people can upload your wedding pictures for you to see. 
  • Options

I was considering this but like PP I heard so many accounts of people doing them, spending hundreds on the cameras and processing photographs...to not even get one decent photo.

I'd look into the photo sharing website like mentioned above.  A lot of people even include little business cards at the wedding, informing their guest of the website and how to upload their own photos to share.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    How long is your photographer staying?  I know many people do the camera on the table thing b/c the photographer leaves so early in the day.

Ours is staying until midnight and many other companies I looked at had packages to add on photographer time.  Would extra professional photo time cost the same as doing the throwaways?

I really like the idea of telling people where they can share their pictures- if you get the rights to your professional photos- you may want to post those up there as well.

If you set up the website after the fact.. you can include the info in your thank-you cards.
  • Options
    The only reason we are doing this is because my fiance really wanted to (I decided to pick my battles and this wasn't one of them!) I didn't want to do it because like everyone else says, it can get pricey to get each camera developed and you know that 3/4 of the pictures wont be any good. Its more fun for the guests to be taking pictures of each other and goofing off then anything. I wish we werent doing it, but it was important to him to have them so alas we will :)
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_reception-table-cameras?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:5Discussion:1be9bf2a-adb9-413b-98d2-30c2e55d3995Post:b97f089d-b216-41f2-9136-0434466ba56e">Re: Reception Table Cameras?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Most people have digital cameras and will share their pictures with you, if you ask. A couple we know did this and it seemed like the same crappy pictures showed up on each camera.  Entrances, first dance, cake cutting, someone's random boob/butt (klassy). Also, the one-time use cameras are pretty poor quality and can't handle the dim lighting in most receptions.
    Posted by ILoveMilkDuds[/QUOTE]

THIS!  Poor quality, a multitude of the same pictures, wasted pictures of people's feet, "myspace" face shots, etc. And it is expensive to develop them.  I suggest the photo sharing site.  Or send guests home with a blank disk and a SASE back to you.
    dont make ur password so easy. gbck2CA2 hahahaha
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_reception-table-cameras?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:5Discussion:1be9bf2a-adb9-413b-98d2-30c2e55d3995Post:59a93a58-3a4c-4622-8e5c-cc2bfbadc1f7">Re: Reception Table Cameras?</a>:
    [QUOTE]The only reason we are doing this is because my fiance really wanted to (I decided to pick my battles and this wasn't one of them!) I didn't want to do it because like everyone else says, it can get pricey to get each camera developed and you know that 3/4 of the pictures wont be any good. Its more fun for the guests to be taking pictures of each other and goofing off then anything. I wish we werent doing it, but it was important to him to have them so alas we will :)
    Posted by girl2bewed[/QUOTE]

Maybe you can show him this thread and he will change his mind
    dont make ur password so easy. gbck2CA2 hahahaha
  • Options
    tracy_ktracy_k member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited April 2010
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_reception-table-cameras?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:5Discussion:1be9bf2a-adb9-413b-98d2-30c2e55d3995Post:2265c5fd-c130-4779-9b8b-5ef19f8406e1">Re: Reception Table Cameras?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hello 1999.
    Posted by MeaghanandMichael[/QUOTE]

Haha, I know, right?

Still -- for some reason my husband really wanted to have them. I mentioned the whole price thing once but he was SO excited about getting them I just let it go, and put him in charge of getting them.

He was a little bummed after the wedding when hardly any of the cameras had more than 6-8 pictures taken. (cue wah-wah-wah music)
  • Options
    We were considering doing myphotofest.com.  They rent digital cameras, and the price is actually pretty great for everything it includes.  We ended up scrapping the idea, but if someone is absolutely dead set on providing cameras for the guest, this would probably be a better alternative.
    This is a neglected planning bio.
    This is a belated married bio, with no reviews yet because I'm lazy.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
  • Options
    I would go with the photo-sharing site.  We set up an account on Shutterfly and made up little business cards to put on the tables at the venue with the information.  We ended up have quite a few people upload pictures after the wedding.    We probably got another 450-500 pictures by doing this and some of them were great!!
  • Options
    I REALLY don't want to do this, and then my Mom went and bought a ton of them.

So I'm stuck between actually using them on tables, not using them, or finding a creative way to use them and get decent pictures.
  • Options
    I got some and am putting one per table, especially where I know people don't have cameras. I will put two on tables where there are kids, kids love taking pictures! I'm crossing my fingers I'll get some good shots...
  • Options
    We aren't doing them for pretty much the same reason, plus most of our friends would get "creative" once they've been drinking.  We are having a photobooth instead and with the package get a disc with all the images taken and each guest gets 2 strips of the pictures they take and can go back as many times as they want.  This is also tying into the guest book where they can take one of the pictures and put it on a card and sign a message next to it to be put in our album.  Then they have favors (each person gets a picture frame as well) too!  Plus our photographer is staying 2 hours into the reception to get most of the good pictures and a couple of my friends are semi-professional photographers and have agreed to catch things the photographer isn't there for.
  • Options
    We bought about 10 disposable cameras at a local party store's "Going Out of Business" sale for $1 each and we've decided to use them as well.
  • Options
    I set up the Snapfish site, and then I went to Vistaprint and I made free business cards that had the information asking people to share photos (if they wanted to) and gave them the login information.  The cards only cost me shipping $5.47!!

And for those of you who are being "forced" into having cameras, my mom got re-married last year and her husband really, really wanted cameras too, so she got them to make him happy, and then I looked into it and found out that instead of paying all the money to develop the pictures - when you don't even know if they look good - you can take the cameras to Target or Wal-Mart (and I'm sure other places) and insteaad of getting prints, you can pay like $2 and they will make you a photo CD of the pictures.  Then you can take them home and look at them, and IF you want to print pictures, you can print them from the disc.  And if not, then you're only out the camera cost + $2, instead of much more for prints that you don't even want.  They got some good pictures, but definitely not enough to justify my wanting to get cameras!  She likes my idea much better!!  :)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I know at walmart, walgreens etc you can look through the photos before you pay and take out any that you don't want (blurry, disgusting etc) and you don't pay for them. So if you only get 5 good pictures then you only pay for 5 pictures:)
    IAmPregnant Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards