Wedding Reception Forum

Get To Know You Games

I am having my reception at a hall that has beautiful outdoor gardens. I would like people to go out and explore during the cocktail hour, but in the event that it rains, or many of my parents' friends and family who may not want to go outdoors, I was thinking about having some games on the tables to help people get to know each other. Do you have any suggestions? I don't want it to be too cheesey, but I have a lot of family members who are traveling and haven't met other people (some tables have strangers sitting at them because the guests just don't know anyone else who is attending). Thanks.

Re: Get To Know You Games

• I don't think it's necessary at all.  If you've been to weddings before, or even if you haven't, just know that most people will want to talk and catch up with family and friends they already know.  They won't need ice breaker games and often those feel forced and awkward anyway.  Adults know how to mingle and enjoy a cocktail hour, don't worry about it.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • not necessary.  If they want to get to know someone they will just ask.

If they are too shy, well they will be to shy to even play the game to begin with.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • edited February 2010
    Not necessary, but could be fun, especially for shy guests.This all depends on the atmosphere you want at your wedding. If you plan a quiet, understated affair, leave games out. You can consider this idea for showers and engagement parites to help people get to know each other before the wedding:

If your guests are a game-loving group, try a scavenger hunt with items that folks will have on them. Things like a child's photo, a pen with a company logo on it, gum, mints, lighter, compact, mirror, comb, brush, or lipstick. One rule: you can't use anything from your own purse or pockets. Have little pencils for players so they can write down on thier lists the names of folks who gave them stuff. That way, everything easily gets returned at the end of the game.

Desginate someone as the ringleader since you'll be busy. Everyone who participates can be put in a drawing to win a small, fun gift like a funny book or small photo album.  Nancy
  • Please don't do this.  "Ice Breaker Games" are excruciating~think office team meeting stuff.  Some guests might go along with it because they're good sports, but they probably won't enjoy it.

Presumably your guests are adults who know how to make small talk and socialize at this kind of event.  But honestly, why exactly DO they have to get to know each other?

I met my wonderful BIL's family at his and my sister's wedding 30 years ago.  The next time I saw them was at my niece's wedding last May.  BUT, at my sister's wedding, I had a great time with my aunts and uncles and cousins who live all over the country, and with family friends.

Even at my own kids' weddings:  I didn't feel a need to "bond" with their new in-laws.  That's THEIR new family, but it's not mine.  I'll be cordial to them on the rare occasions that we see each other.  But beyond that....not necessary to play games to get to know my SIL's cousin from Michigan. 

Just treat your guests like adults.  Give them a drink, some appetizers, and let them behave like adults, and not children.
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards