Wedding Reception Forum
Options

Reception Ideas

HI everyone,
 I need your input please! We are getting married next year and we have decided we can't afford to provide dinner for everyone coming. So we are taking our the wedding party and family for dinner. What I need to know is what kind of reception can we do where we don't have to feed everyone? Please don't get me wrong we would LOVE to pay for everyone it's just we can't afford to. We are inviting everyone to the ceremony and reception but just can't afford to fill that many bellies. Please help!
Thanks
Ashley

Re: Reception Ideas

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_reception-ideas-9?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:5Discussion:1f9a0ebe-2242-4e4a-8d07-9f8f08b1c03ePost:8196ca1d-97df-4623-bee7-b591349754cd">Reception Ideas</a>:
    [QUOTE]HI everyone,  I need your input please! We are getting married next year and we have decided we can't afford to provide dinner for everyone coming. So we are taking our the wedding party and family for dinner. What I need to know is what kind of reception can we do where we don't have to feed everyone? Please don't get me wrong we would LOVE to pay for everyone it's just we can't afford to. We are inviting everyone to the ceremony and reception but just can't afford to fill that many bellies. Please help! Thanks Ashley
    Posted by ashleylynn84[/QUOTE]

If they are invited to the ceremony, they have to be invited to the reception.  They have to be fed.  You cannot pick and choose who gets to eat.  It is tacky and gift-grabby.

Now, you can do an early afternoon ceremony and a cake and punch reception.  These receptions can't be held over a meal time and the reception generally lasts only a couple of hours. So, a time frame between 1:00 and 4:00 is good. Start the ceremony at 1:00 and the reception at 2:30 with a wrap-up @ 4:00ish at the latest 5:00. Serve wedding cake, nuts, and maybe a couple other desserts.  Punch only.  Liquor is not required.  Do not do a cash bar. 

If you are having the reception/wedding over a meal time, you need to have the event that you can afford. You have to feed people.  There is no way around it and there is no excuse for not feeding people.  Cut the guest list for BOTH wedding and reception to the number of people you can afford to host.  You can also go low-key.  BBQ is cheap and most people love it. 
    ROCK IS KING!!
  • Options
    I was recently at wedding that started later in the evening, after dinner. Then after the ceremoney they had cocktails, a few hors d'oeuvres, cake and dancing.

This might be a good option for a tight budget
  • Options
    Are you engaged?  Your bio doesn't have a date.  If you are engaged and have not picked the date, plan your wedding for 2 years and save money to feed your guests.
    ROCK IS KING!!
  • Options
    We are planning to have a potluck reception sort of. We are asking specific people in our inner circle to bring a dish to share, and we'll kick in some food too.

Someone I read talked about providing pasta, and it being really cheap. If you have a Gordon's Food Service, or know someone with a Sam's Club membership (or Costco, etc) you could probably get pasta and a few sauces, as well as a few sterno containers pretty cheap. Delegate someone to be in charge of setting it up.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards