Wedding Reception Forum
Options

Cocktail Hour Question

Hello! We are having a cocktail hour right before the reception so we can take our photos (this will not take more than an hour). Since we will be serving food when the reception starts, do we need to have food during the cocktail hour? It might be a silly question, but I'm just curious if people will expect food before dinner.

Thanks!

Re: Cocktail Hour Question

• Options
    it would certainly be kind of you have have food (you really want people drinking on a potentially empty stomach for an hour before you get there?) I'd at least have a cheese platter and fruit or something of the like. The cocktail hours I've been to have always had at least a few hors d'ourves
    photo a826c490-726a-4824-af5c-d938878de228_zpseb85bb5a.jpg
  • Options

That is what I was thinking, I just don't want people to get full right before dinner! A nice cheese tray/fruit sounds like a great idea! Thanks!

• Options
    fallbride1109fallbride1109 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited October 2012

We had passed appetizers.  Appetizers are meant to whet your appetite for dinner, not to make you full.  So yes, definitely serve something, especially if alcohol will be served.

• Options
    We served appetizers during the cocktail hour -- trays of bite-sized fresh fruit,  veggies, cheeses, chicken satay, etc.
  • Options
    unless you want all of your guests drinking on empty stomachs....
    serve apps, cheese, crackers, bread, tapenade, sandwiches etc...

• Options

Yeah, it's good to have something to munch on while you're drinking.  Alcohol and an empty stomach are a bad combination.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards