Wedding Reception Forum

Re: ideas

• Options

Honestly, I think you can only get so creative with "wedding things" just because of what they are - wedding things.

You know what makes all the difference in my impression of a wedding? The bride and groom. How they act. That's what will always stand out in my memory.

However, for favours, you can go onto the favours board for more ideas but one of the more unique ideas that people seem to like is a lottery scratch ticket with a penny. Or anything edible. Those seem to go over very well.

I don't know how people are supposed to give you ideas that they've "seen" but no one else has "ever seen before".

• Options
    For favors, fortune cookies, lotto scratch offs, personalized candy, cookies, candy apples.

If you want your wedding to be different, then you have to come up with creative ways yourself. Almost all favors, centerpiece ideas have been used before. You would have to put effort into coming up with something so unique that you won't find online being wedding related.
  • Options
    There were three things at my wedding that received an enormous amount of positive feedback:

1. A funny cake topper (shown in my avatar)

4.  The music.  My girls walked in to  the ceremony to Apocalyptica's Nothing Else Matters (a Metallica Cover) which was a huge hit with the guests. We did the reception entrance to a song from the Rocky soundtrack, the garter toss to the Indiana Jones theme, and several other things. 

3. Personalized chocolate dipped fortune cookies as favors.  We're both former field archaeologists and one of the fortunes was "An archaeologist makes the best husband.  The older his wife gets the more interested he is"    There were also a few marriage jokes from Groucho Marx and Mae west, along with some more serious, sweet ones.  I bought my cookies from www.fancyfortunecookies.com and highly recommend them.

None of the above things are 'new and exciting and never done before' but they really showcased who DH and I are as people and a couple. We got a lot of comments that we "made the wedding our own"

Don't go searching for ways to make your wedding different.  Search for ways to make your wedding reflect  who you are.
    murrayed
  • Options
    I think you're setting yourself up to be disappointed here, to be honest.  Do you think anyone wants an "ordinary" wedding?  No, everyone just wants their wedding to be special but it's close to impossible to find something that no one else has ever done.  You'll have a ceremony, probably a dinner, probably a cake, probably favors and dancing.  Unless you're taking your guests horseback riding, it's going to be things that have been done before and I think you definitely have to come to terms with that.

That being said, there's plenty you can do to make it your own.  There are literally thousands of options in almost wedding decision you'll make so the ideas and ways to make it your own are what's unique.  

And don't say you're going for the wow factor.  Whenever people say that on bridal TV shows, they tend to be crazy bridezillas.  All that should matter is that your guests enjoy themselves and have a nice time.  They will surely like some of your ideas, so don't worry so much about impressing them.  
  • Options
    The best and most unique weddings are the ones that are truly reflective of the bride and groom.  We definitely wanted our wedding to be different, but we also wanted it to be very "us."  So we ended up with a lot of elements that we took from other places (like the paper flowers, the unity cocktail, my bridal hat), but that none of our guests had seen before.  But all of them were things that were still very true to who we are.  Yeah, I could have zip-lined down the aisle, but since I've never done it in my life, that's not really me, is it?

This is why I love Offbeat Bride.  Yeah, it's definitely about doing things differently, but Ariel continually talks about how the goal is doing what YOU feel you should, not what any other voices, traditional or otherwise, are telling you.  (Though that's mainly in regards to details, not in how you treat your guests; there's a definite right and wrong way for that.)  Here are some articles you should take a gander at:

http://offbeatbride.com/2007/05/your-wedding-is-not-a-contest

http://offbeatbride.com/2009/04/construction

http://offbeatbride.com/2009/05/authenticity-vs-attention

In case you don't want to read through them, here's a tidbit:  "Having a weird wedding just for the sake of making a statement is just as inauthentic as forcing yourself into a traditional ceremony to keep your parents happy. Your wedding should reflect the reality of you and your partner's life together. If you're using your wedding to prove a point about anything other than your commitment to each other, it's worth step back a bit to reconsider your motivations."

We did have one truly unique element to our wedding, that hours poring over Google image search reassured me that had never been seen before: instead of wedding cake, we did those cookie cakes from the mall, but in tiers.  But DH and I came up with that one all on our own.  If you want any truly unique ideas, sorry sister, they've got to come from you.
    This is a neglected planning bio.
    This is a belated married bio, with no reviews yet because I'm lazy.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
  • Options
    Your wedding will be wonderfully unique because it's the only time you and your FI will be getting married.  But trying to make your wedding "creative" can come off as forced and uncomfortable.

Frankly, I don't think strangers on an internet forum are going to help you make your wedding unique to you. 

Think about yourselves and what makes you.....you and what makes you a couple.  That's what your wedding should reflect.  Not some staged photo shoot by a bridal magazine.
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_ideas-2?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:5Discussion:2a1c6900-a73d-4840-871f-7e75b5eb3f91Post:49240eb5-41b6-4ae3-a64b-21f465e48549">Re: ideas</a>:
    [QUOTE]I don't know how people are supposed to give you ideas that they've "seen" but no one else has "ever seen before".
    Posted by heyimbren[/QUOTE]
    MTE.
    Planning Our Wedding - Updated 04/11/11
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
    "If you can't think of something nice to say, don't say something nice" - Stephen Colbert
  • Options
    lalap:  that was very, very wonderful.  Thanks.
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards