Wedding Reception Forum
Options

What do we do once we are in there?

Ok, so I haven't been to many weddings. Actually only one and I was young. When we are announced into the reception hall where are we walking to? Do we just stop in the middle of the room and have everyone stare at us? (please say no) Do we go right into our first dance together? I'm a little nervous walking into the room with everyone even though I know them all. I don't like alot of attention. (i also wish I could just run up the aisle instead of slowly dragging it out with everyone staring at me, LOL)

Re: What do we do once we are in there?

• Options
    edited October 2010
    After we were announced in, the best man gave a toast, DH gave an impromptu speech, and the minister did a blessing of the food and declared it to be lunch time.  Then people went and got food.

Edit: so basically, we stopped at the bottom of the stairs and everyone stared at the Best Man.
  • Options
    I've seen a) couple goes straight to their seats, b) go straight into toasts, and c) go into the first dance.
  • Options
    Some couples do their first dance right away, some wait until after dinner and toasts.  It's polite for the guests to wait to dance until after the couple has had their first dance. So you might want to get it over with as soon as possible so the guests can hit the dance floor. 

Once you are announced, you walk in, people will likely clap and do a lot of oohs and aahs, so take a little bow, wave to the crowd, or give each other a little kiss.  Guests will likely start coming up to you to greet and congratulate you.  If you are worried it will be awkward just standing there, ask your parents or wedding party be nearby to give you a hug and get things started.  I'm sure they'll be glad to rescue you, lol.
  • Options
    It really just depends. While our guests were enjoying a cocktail hour we were outside doing pics at our reception venue. When we finished, we did our grand entrance (we were not allowed to have a recessional at our church) and then the WP took their seats at the head table. Shortly after that the DJ made the announcement that dinner would be served.

After dinner, we started our first dance, father/daughter dance, etc. Then we did the cake cutting. Surprisingly, we had a lot of guests leave before and right after the cake cutting, but we kept on dancing and partying with the people that stayed.
  • Options
    I usually see couples go straight into their first dance. But you could also walk right to your table and then have the toasts. In either case, you don't just stand in the middle of the room :-)
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I think it's really up to you...I've seen it done bothways. we went straight into our first dance...but just to let you know...no matter where you are standing, a lot of people in the room will be staring at you...and you're going to look great :-)
  • Options
    I think we're going to walk to our table.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options

When we were announced we walked into the room and all of our guests were clapping and cheering. Then my finace and I went right into our first dance, and then we cut our cake all before my fathers toast and mother-in-laws prayer before dinner. It all went really smoothly :) After dinner my father and I did our dance, and my husband and his mother did their dance, then the floor opened up and was packed the entire night!

• Options
    OP, what tends on happen here on LI is that the couple enters and goes straight into their first dance, after which your band leader or DJ will invite people out onto the floor.   Toasts get staggered - best man and MOH towards the end of the salad course, and the dads generally go later in the evening - more like after dinner/before cake.  If you're having an iPod reception, do you have someone coordinating the day/evening?  They can help make these announcements for you.
    imageAnniversary

RIP Dr. Irving Fishman - 10/1/19-7/25/10 - thank you for holding on for me.
    You made my wedding day complete.
  • Options
    What I typically see is the wp then B&G announced in and go to their seats for the toasts. Then dinner. After dinner the couple, parents, and wp do the main dances then the couple cuts the cake and then dancing is opened to everyone. But it is different in most locales I guess so I think saisongbird's would be most traditional where you live.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards