Wedding Reception Forum

short afternoon cold buffet reception - seating?

Hi all, my fiancee and I are trying to keep our wedding small and affordable but would like to have some sort of reception after the ceremony to thank our guests. We were thinking something more substantial than just tea and cake reception but not a full sit-down lunch. We are unsure of what to call this, perhaps a "tea reception with light refreshments to follow"?

Most receptions I have been to are of the full dinner-banquet variety save for two small weddings in people backyards, so we are a bit unsure of protocol and peoples expectations (getting married is easy, the reception is proving to be the stressful part of planning!). We have rented a small historic hall for the ceremony and think it easiest to have the reception there afterwards aswell, and are thinking of putting on our invites 1pm ceremony and 2 or 2:30pm reception to allow set-up.

My main question with this post (although I appreciate any suggestions or comments on above ideas) is, should we have many tables so all guests can sit down at the reception, or it is sufficient to have a few tables for people who might want to sit? It is a small hall and we will not be serving a full meal, and we are hoping that it will be more informal, more mingling about like at a house party - not everyone sitting in formal, designated chairs.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Re: short afternoon cold buffet reception - seating?

• Time plays a big part in what guests expect at a reception...either snacks or a fullon meal.  If yours is at 2, snacks are perfect, and i like your "light refreshement" piece.  As far as seating goes, if it were me, i'd have enough seating for everyone.  I'm sure you'll have minglers but without knowing how many at any given time, i'd want to be prepared for the worse case.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Hi Thanks all for the suggestions, I appreciate the courtesy as I have never planned a wedding before. We are still early in the planning process so open to switching things around to make it work better for the guests.

I should have been more specific about the seating; what I meant was it it necessary to have a table spot for everyone, as guests will have their own chairs left over from the ceremony.
  • "I should have been more specific about the seating; what I meant was it it necessary to have a table spot for everyone, as guests will have their own chairs left over from the ceremony." I don't like eating food off my lap while holding my cup, fork, knife, and napkin. It's a crappy balancing act.
  • You should plan to have a place for everyone to sit at a table.  Also, if you're not serving a full meal, I would suggest starting the ceremony at 2PM or 230PM.  1PM is still lunchtime, and people have to get ready, drive to your ceremony and arrive early, so a 1PM ceremony cuts into lunch.

You don't say what kind of food you are planning to serve and who is serving it.  Will it be catered with staff?  Or are you planning to do it yourself with help?  How much set-up is necessary?  Who is doing the set-up?   All this factors into the time line.  Pros can do it faster than volunteers.  If your ceremony is planned for 1PM, and the reception doesn't start until 2 or 230PM and is at the same location, what do you expect the guests to do during your set up time?
  • yes it is necessary to provide a table spot and chair for each. who on earth wants to sit with their plate on their lap, their drink on the floor, their bag on their arm? not me.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards