Wedding Reception Forum

Centerpieces

I let my fiance choose our colors because I knew he wouldn't be into helping plan the wedding and i thought it would be a great way to involve him. However, he is a massive Detroit Lions fan and decided that our color would be Silver, Medium Blue and Black. So I guess we are having a football theme wedding. Here's where I need help. I was contemplating on what to do for the center pieces and was thinking that maybe I could get a mini lions helmet with a vase and flowers sticking out, or a football and somehow having a vase be in the middle with flowers coming out. What do you think?!

Re: Centerpieces

• AddieCakeAddieCake member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited January 2013
    Just because those are your colors doesn't mean you have to have a football themed wedding. I'm not crazy about that centerpiece idea. It sounds like a child's birthday party to me. Can't you do a Detroit Lions groom's cake for him or do something with the favors if you want to incorporate his team? 
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Yeah I'm with Addie. I may use red and gold for my colors, but it will in no way be a 49ers wedding (unfortunately blue and orange are not pretty wedding colors or I'd totally have a Bears wedding). You can use the colors without football and no one will probably even think it's because of the Lions. The centerpiece idea is kind of cute, but I think it could look cheesy and cheap.
  • I am with the PP.  Just because the colors are from a football team does not mean that you need everything football at your wedding.  It will look more like a birthday party then a nice wedding.

For example.  H and I got married at Raven's Stadium in Baltimore.  Besides the football I painted our names and wedding date on and using players names for table numbers there was nothing else "football" about our wedding.  What I am trying to say is that even though we used the football venue I didn't feel the need to bring out the helmets and footballs and whatever else goes along with it.

• I agree with PP, it seems too childish.  Just like Maggie, we are incorporating our theme subtly throughout the wedding.

FI and I are having a wrestling themed wedding (we are both fans and he is an amateur pro-wrestler), but its not over taking our celebration.  Our bridal party entrance music is going to be popular wrestling entrance music, we are having a championship belt made to be our guest book, and the tables are going to be named after various wrestlers.  

There are ways to incorporate the theme without it being everywhere.
    Anniversary

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Ditto PP.  Just because your colors are the Lion's colors doesn't mean you're having a football theme wedding.  They are actually pretty common wedding colors so no one is going to think about the Lions.  Adding too much football decor will get tacky really quickly.  I'm all for subtile touched but please don't go overboard. FWIW I'm not a fan of a football helmet with flowers in it as a centerpiece.

DH is a huge Transformers fan and wanted to incorporate it into the wedding somehow. He wore transformers cufflinks and Optimus Prime and Arcee with dressed in wedding attire and "guarded" our card box.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • My husband is a huge Star Wars fan, so our Recessional was Star Wars music. 
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_centerpieces-76?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:5Discussion:31fe34b5-e765-4534-bbe5-7a092dd78082Post:2287bb00-f8f0-4442-bf5e-168a1ae51d43">Centerpieces</a>:
    [QUOTE]I let my fiance choose our colors because I knew he wouldn't be into helping plan the wedding and i thought it would be a great way to involve him. However, he is a massive Detroit Lions fan and decided that our color would be Silver, Medium Blue and Black. So I guess we are having a football theme wedding. Here's where I need help. I was contemplating on what to do for the center pieces and was thinking that maybe I could get a mini lions helmet with a vase and flowers sticking out, or a football and somehow having a vase be in the middle with flowers coming out. What do you think?!
    Posted by ashleyS1953[/QUOTE]

Sorry, not a fan. It seems a little cheesy for a wedding.
  • As a lifelong Lions fan, I agree with the prior posters. It's ok if you sign onto your fiance's interest in having your wedding colors be the same as the Lions, but you don't want it to look like a child's birthday party.

A cute way to bring this in might be to have your "guest book" be a white Lion's jersey, maybe with your new married name on the back, with the year of your wedding as the number, for guests to sign. You could have a piece of wood or cardboard behind the fabric so it doesn't bleed through, and supply a black Sharpie for signatures, then frame it later.

Your centerpieces could be candles in those colors, or black candle stands.

I'd use the football theme in a very minimal way.

Go Lions (next year,LOL).
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_centerpieces-76?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:5Discussion:31fe34b5-e765-4534-bbe5-7a092dd78082Post:90a8aa96-9ba6-4a96-8b59-38f2bcf56aa8">Re: Centerpieces</a>:
    [QUOTE]. A cute way to bring this in might be to have your "guest book" be a white Lion's jersey, maybe with your new married name on the back, with the year of your wedding as the number, for guests to sign. 
    Posted by Sue-n-Kevin[/QUOTE]

<div>I love this idea!</div>
  • Maybe you could do centerpieces of vases filled with candy in your theme colors? It's cheaper than flowers and if you do wrapped foil candy, you wouldn't need a scoop or anything. I saw at least the silver and blue foil candy at http://www.temptationcandy.com when I was shopping for my candy buffet. With the right candy it could look very elegant.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards