Wedding Reception Forum
Options

Ceremony - Receiving line - Reception?

Hello,

The current plan for our wedding is to have the ceremony & reception at the same place.  Ceremony to start at 5pm, then dinner to follow.  Question:  Would it be really weird to to a receiving line in between the ceremony and the dinner?  All the guests will be seated at their tables for the ceremony.  I suggested we can just go around to all the tables to say hello to everyone, but my parents would like the receiving line so that they can meet more of the groom's family.

Re: Ceremony - Receiving line - Reception?

• Options
    Yes, I think it would be weird. I'm trying to figure how that would even work? Guests are seated at tables, you ask them to get up and stand in line to say hello to you and then they go back to their tables? That's not very workable.

Your parents can (and should) make the rounds of tables too. They can go with you, with you and your then DH, with his parents, or by themselves. But it's perfectly normal for parents to walk up to tables and introduce themselves (or be introduced) at weddings, and at least in my crowd, pretty expected.
  • Options
    The receiving line helps smooth the transition from one location to the other, but if everyone's already in place for the ceremony, they're not going to want to get up to go through the receiving line and then resume their seats.

Is your dinner plated or buffet?  If it's a buffet, perhaps you and your parents could stand at the head of the line and quickly greet people as they're getting their plates.  But otherwise, you can just tell your parents that they are more than welcome to introduce themselves to the groom's family without making people stand in line.
    This is a neglected planning bio.
    This is a belated married bio, with no reviews yet because I'm lazy.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_ceremony-receiving-line-reception?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:5Discussion:44634182-9414-46e1-bcfb-a3b3d95c6017Post:a1c6054b-14df-4c89-9e76-cc0e36bdc81c">Re: Ceremony - Receiving line - Reception?</a>:
    [QUOTE]The receiving line helps smooth the transition from one location to the other, but if everyone's already in place for the ceremony, they're not going to want to get up to go through the receiving line and then resume their seats. Is your dinner plated or buffet? <strong> If it's a buffet, perhaps you and your parents could stand at the head of the line and quickly greet people as they're getting their plates. </strong> But otherwise, you can just tell your parents that they are more than welcome to introduce themselves to the groom's family without making people stand in line.
    Posted by aerinpegadrak[/QUOTE]

That's a pretty good idea! Otherwise... I'm not sure how that would work logistically. Going from table to table during dinner would be your better option.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_ceremony-receiving-line-reception?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:5Discussion:44634182-9414-46e1-bcfb-a3b3d95c6017Post:4eb35ae5-3a15-46ea-aed9-84f2dfd14153">Ceremony - Receiving line - Reception?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hello, The current plan for our wedding is to have the ceremony & reception at the same place.  Ceremony to start at 5pm, then dinner to follow.  Question:  Would it be really weird to to a receiving line in between the ceremony and the dinner?  All the guests will be seated at their tables for the ceremony.  I suggested we can just go around to all the tables to say hello to everyone, but my parents would like the receiving line so that they can meet more of the groom's family.
    Posted by lindsay5432[/QUOTE]

There is no way I see that working without being super awkward as PP's said to make people get up and get in line then go sit again.  Ditto Aerin that if you do a buffet you could be at the front of the line.  But even still that would annoy me if I was hungry and had to wait to get food while everyone was talking.  I think the best option is to just do table visits.  Your parents  can come around with you or on their own. 
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    It could work if you and your WP are planning on going out for a little bit to take pictures, or go to a bar or something right after the ceremony. Then, then you can have a receiving line as you leave! I am planning on doing this for my wedding.
  • Options
    Thanks everyone for the reply.  I was thinking that it would also allow the guests to get up and walk around a bit in between the ceremony and dinner.  It should be ok for them to sit right through both, right?
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_ceremony-receiving-line-reception?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:5Discussion:44634182-9414-46e1-bcfb-a3b3d95c6017Post:40702e3b-0b10-4058-96b1-c49dc12f98c4">Re: Ceremony - Receiving line - Reception?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Thanks everyone for the reply.  I was thinking that it would also allow the guests to get up and walk around a bit in between the ceremony and dinner.  It should be ok for them to sit right through both, right?
    Posted by lindsay5432[/QUOTE]
    It doesn't really ALLOW them to get up, it FORCES them to, and that's not a good thing.  If people want to get up, walk around, and socialize a bit before dinner, they'll do so on their own, and the people who want to remain seated and wait for their food can do so.
    This is a neglected planning bio.
    This is a belated married bio, with no reviews yet because I'm lazy.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards