Wedding Reception Forum

Excited Too Early?

My fiance and I were engaged September fifth for our third year anniversary and plan to have the wedding on our fifth anniversary in 2012. I have been researching different locations, looking at dresses, and beganthe rough draft for alot of our wedding to ease the stress when it comes. My mother and sisters are telling me that I'm doing it too soon and wonder why I'm doing all of this when my wedding isn't for a while. So, is it wrong that I'm getting into it now? Or is my family being a buzz kill?

Re: Excited Too Early?

• I don't think it is ever too early to scope out venues.  It is way too early, I think, to do much more than that.  Good luck!
  • I would echo what people have already said and a ditto on the asking BMs and GMs. I asked mine too early and now I have a BM that I barely even talk to anymore and it kinda sucks. I think you should be excited though! If you werent I think that would be weirder! Good luck and happy planning!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicTTC #1 since April '11.- BFP 7/3/11! - EDD 3/13/12 - Dean born 3/15/12! - Lovely Labor Buddies with PsychGirl33!! <3 </br> Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • It's never too early to start planning/ researching/ budgeting and depending on what part of the country you are in, it might be a good idea to go ahead and put deposits down on a ceremony/ reception venue. I know in some places they can be reserved two years out. Aside from that, I would be cautious with how much you do, because you do not want to burn yourself out in the last year of wedding planning. :D

The truth behind a well laced dress
  • agree with PPs - dont start buying too early . . and, dont ask anyone to join the wedding party until you get a little closer either (I did what SheenaNash did and am now in the same boat . . ugh!! . . hoping she might tell me she cant afford the dress when it comes time to shop in the spring and I will get off the hook . .LOL)
    However, if you know what your theme is going to be - use the year before to snag things on clearance. For example, buying autumn themed items in Nov/Dec of 2011 makes perfect sense!
    but, also agree with you -- family is being a buzz kill . .LOL
    something I have learned since becoming engaged . . nobody else is as excited about your wedding as you  . . but, the folks on these boards come in at a close second . .  use the ladies to ask questions, vent, and show off all your progress.
  • Right now, I would say you can put together a budget and (very) rough guest list.  Then you can decide if/how you want to save money until the wedding gets closer.  Also, it's not too early to book a venue, especially if you are looking for a certain weekend in 2012.  But make sure you are certain before you sign a contract and send a deposit. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Puppy Love
  • It's not too early, but don't be surprised if you end up ready for the wedding and waiting around on it. I thought 10 months was a short engagement, but I'm halfway through and almost everything is planned and I'm ready for it to be here already!  Most people aren't concerned about things two years away either, so don't be surprised if you don't feel any excitement from anyone else until a few months before the wedding.  Like others said, try not to get burned out. A couple years of planning for an event that only lasts a few hours can set you up for a lot of disappointments on the day of the wedding.
  • start browsing to get a feel for what you'd like to eventually settle on :) my first choice venue was booked two years in advance before my wedding date! so i'm glad i was looking around early enough to not be a jam.
    image122 Made the list!
    image 89 Are ready to party!
    image 11 Will be missing out!
    image 22 Can't find the mailbox!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Like others have said, It's never to late to scope out venues. This way you can see what certain venues offer, how much, how popular(like a PP said some book up to 2 years out, this means they are probably popular and might not have a lot of dates to choose from), and their minimum number of guests.
    Also, checking out vendors, researching if they are good and their price range.

Before you do anything, I would talk to your FI, look at and figure out a budget. You have some time before you have to put down deposits, so save up. Do some math and think about how much you could and are willing to spend. Your budget will probably change and most people go over their budget. My advice is save save save and really look at how much you can save up and afford.

I saw that a PP said that September 5, 2012 is a wed. Think about it, people will be just starting school or have already be in school. Also, the people that work will have to take a few days off, and your OOT guests will probably have to take a week off of work for the wedding. I'm getting married on a Thrusday(3 years after we started dating), the date is important to us. We did find out that some guests can't come because of work/school. So don't feel bad if guests can't come during the week. Some venues don't have weddings during the week too, so just a thought. A plus to having it on a down day is prices and availibilty.
    Photobucket
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • It's not too early to get excited, but it's a little early to start planning. On the other hand you have given yourself plenty of time to save, which is a BIG plus! FI and I got engaged and everything was planned very shortly after ( our egagement will be 13 months total). I was way too excited, but we also knew that neither of us wanted to wait a full two years to get married. We planned quickly, and now that we are getting closer I have almost nothing to do! I agree with everyone that it's never too early to book your venue and plan your budget. Enjoy this time!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I also got engaged and we are getting married Sept. of 2012. Depending upon where you live and where you want the wedding, it is NOT too early to start booking venues and the bigger expenses- i.e. DJ.
    We are getting married in Philadelphia at a Cathedral and having our reception at Citizens Bank Park and after making phone calls to each location, found they were ALREADY 1/2-3/4 book for 2012. If you are planning on having a wedding at a place in higher demand, I say go for it!
    The other advantage to planning early is that if you get the big stuff out of the way, there are no financial surprises, and you can spend the rest of your Engagement enjoying the planning of the smaller details and just relishing all of the amazing things that come with being engaged.
    Good luck!
  • I feel the same way. My wedding isn't until October 2012. But I have been thinking of where I would want to hold the wedding and making a rough guest list so I know about the number of people. That way I can have an estimate of what things are going to cost so I can start saving! That is going to be the important part. 

But be as excited as you want. I am starting to keep a notebook of ideas, because there is inspiration everywhere! 

And Congrats!!
  • Congrats on your engagement! I too will be engaged for two years by the time my wedding arrives. It has been seven wonderful months as an engaged couple. 1 year and 5 months to go! I was so excited at first that we had our reception venue booked within 3  weeks. Needless to say, we changed our date and our venue was totally understanding but it was a headache for my fiance and me. I've tried on wedding dresses but haven't found "the one" yet. And I think that is because I have been thinking in the back of my head, it's so far away and what if I change my mind?
    But to all of this I say, It's never to early to enjoy being an engaged couple! I agree with the above Knottie who said "No one will ever be as excited about your wedding as you." Try to shift your focus from "planning" to "exploring all available options". And enjoy being engaged! It's not all about planning but the new life you two are starting together. You only get to do this once. So don't let your family and friends sway you from dreaming about your day.
  • I say it's never to early to get excited.  I am planning a destination wedding to Jamaica and I'm already looking at inspiration and scouting locations.  I have the benefit of a friend who is getting married in the same year, so we get to enjoy these moments together.  Get excited, this is your wedding! 

• I feel your pain. We are not getting married until May 2013, 876 days to be exact, not that Im counting. Haha. Its terrible to feel like I cant do anything.
  • I am recently engaged and will marry in 1 year and five months.  I am already searching for my venue and my dress.  I do not think it is too early to start knocking out some of the larger expenses.  I just say make siure you are sure of your date.  But it is NEVER too early to get organized.  Just make sure you and your FH comminicate about each and every detail.

My FH and I are going thru this little book "Before the Wedding"....  it's  all of the typical questions that will also be covered during our premartical counseling.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards