Wedding Reception Forum

Buffet

Has anyone on here done a buffet reception? How did that work for you? My FI and I are considering doing that for our wedding (we know there are a lot of special diets like not eating red meat, picky eaters, etc... just gives them a chance to choose their own from the selection). Any suggestions/tips/pointers?

Re: Buffet

• Tons of people do buffets.  Just make sure you have enough options that people who are on certain restrictions can still eat enough, like a hearty vegetarian dish.  
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • We are having a buffet.  My FI wanted to have a more casual feel to the reception.  We also have dietary restrictions and picky eaters, so we want to let people take whatever food they want, even if a restaurant wouldn't plate those items together (lasagna + ravioli + roasted potatoes?  go for it).  At our venue, buffet and plated are the same price, and we felt we could get more options with a buffet.  

As long as you have good food and enough of it, I don't think it will be a big problem.  A big complaint about buffets is that you have to stand in line a long time to get your food.  Our venue is actually able to set up two identical buffets, so it should cut down on the wait time.  We haven't done our seating chart yet, but we may try to have some of the older guests closer to the food so they won't have to walk as far.  
  • The lines can be the draw back, but just make sure you have multiple lines (or even consider doing several stations) and try to stagger the times that people get into the line (or have the food be available all night).  You'll be fine!
  • Awesome :) Thanks for the advice everyone! I think this is definitely the route we'll take, just makes it easier when it comes to making sure everyone gets to eat what they like :)
  • We had a buffet, and I heard no complaints.  The food was good, hot, and plentiful. 

We did place a menu on top of each table, so that our guests could have a better idea of what would be available once they got to the head of the line.  I'd like to think that helped speed things along.

We also had a cocktail hour with an array of yummy apps prior to the reception start and dinner, so hopefully our guests weren't ravenous as they waited their turn.

• I can't recall a wedding that I went to that didn't have a buffet. I guess they're the norm in my neck of the woods. Our venue does a buffet and tray pass.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers BabyFruit Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • A menu at each table.... great idea! I think I shall incorporate that in. We do plan on having food available to snack on during the cocktail hour as well, so that should help :)
  • We're doing stations, but I'm a little concerned about the logistics as well. I love the idea of people choosing from a variety of options, but I picture a room full of confused and scrambling guests who end up having to wait in multiple lines!  I hope I'm over reacting, but I'm definitely going to discuss the details with my venue to give me some piece of mind.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • We are doing a buffet. People always talk about lines being an issue, but I've never had an issue when I've been to other weddings with buffets. It helps to stagger people though and probably depends on how many people you're having. I like the idea of putting a menu at each table. I found some cheap but nice paper at paperandmore.com so I'm gonna buy that at $16 for 100 5X7"'s and make our own menus at home (we have a laser printer) and put one at each place. I thought it would be nice for guests to know what will be up there once they get there cause that was the only thing that ever bothered me about buffets is not REALLY knowing what you're putting on your plate unless you ask the poor people who've been asked numerous times what this or that is, or unless they have little cards that name each dish.
    Planning Bio

Our wedding date is November 12, 2011

110 invited 86 accepted! 20 can't make it 4 haven't responded yet
    RSVP Date October 12th, 2011

• We're doing a buffet. Our guest list is fairly small, so I don't think long lines will be too big of a deal for us.  
    imageDaisypath Wedding tickers
  • we did sit down, because it was cheaper (and we really didnt want a buffet) but i have been to weddings where it is done. just make sure you have a good variety of food to chose from.
  • We're doing buffet stations that are each themed: Asian, Tapas, Beef and the one I'm most excitied about, Grilled Cheese Bar.  this way there won;t be a long buffet line and people can graze throughout the 3 hours the stations are set up.  We're also doing passed hors d'oeuvres and an antipasto station during cocktail hour.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards