Wedding Reception Forum
Options

Cocktail Reception Timeline

Hello!
My husband and I were married in Italy this past month and are having a cocktail reception back home for all our friends and family. I am having trouble nailing down a timeline though!
Has anyone else done a cocktail reception? If so what was your timeline? Our reception will go from 7-11.
Thanks!!!

Re: Cocktail Reception Timeline

• Options
    I haven't heard of a 4 hour cocktail recepiton, but one of the Knot magazines had a timeline for a 4 hour seated dinner and a 2 hour cocktail party (as well as a three hour brunch).  I'm going to type out the 2 hour cocktail reception timeline, my suggestion is maybe extending certain aspects of it.  It seems like a lot of it could be lengthened to your liking.  In addition, if you wanted to add other traditions, you could fit that in as well.
    (The Knot's timeline was from 9-11, so I'm just using that as a resource)
    9: Guests head to reception area;
    9:05: You are introduced (if you had a WP, you may want them introduced as well)
    9:10: Food stations open up, pass hors d'oeuvres start
    9:30: First dance, food service pauses
    9:35: Father-daughter dance; mother-son dance
    9:40: Food service resumes, if dancing, start upbeat music now
    10:10: Toasts
    10:15: Cake cutting
    10:20: ocuple of slow songs as staff cuts cake and apsses
    10:25: cake passed
    10:40 final dance set plays
    10:55: last dance

Not sure how helpful that is, but maybe it'll at least get your thoughts started.
  • Options
    Our wedding was 4 hours with a cocktail reception.

12:00 Ceremony
    12:20 Cocktail hour
    1:20   B&G announced in, Best Man toast, blessing of food
    1:30   Food table of hors d'oeuvres opened
    2:45   Cake cutting
    3:45   Last dance announced, bar closed
  • Options
    I am doing a cocktail reception and it is going to be from 6-10.I think its a great idea because it gives people more time to hangout and dance and they are not sitting and eating the whole time.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards