Wedding Reception Forum
Options

Raffle!?!?

My mom suggested having raffles at the reception.  The guests wouldn't pay for the raffles, they'd be free.  She thought we could raffle off the bouquets and little gifts. I thought this idea was tacky and absurd but apparently people like it? Anyone have experience with this?
Scrabble high score: 531

Re: Raffle!?!?

• Options
    Not necessary and not my style at all.  Why would you want to stop the party to raffle off little trinkets?

I have never, ever seen a raffle, free or otherwise at a wedding reception.  This just sounds pretty awful to me.
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • Options
    That sounds more like a shower than a reception.  Besides, who's to say that the guests actually WANT the bouquets?  I've gotten a bunch of really crappy "prizes" at showers, and let me tell you, I'd rather have lost and stuck someone else with them.
    This is a neglected planning bio.
    This is a belated married bio, with no reviews yet because I'm lazy.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
  • Options

Your instincts were correct.  It's a terrible idea.

• Options
    Personally, I would not do anything like this.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    October 2012 Pumpkin Patch Babies click here for list.
  • Options
    I agree.. it is okay at certain events and not others.

For example, I like the idea of doing something like this at showers (we usually do bridal bingo)

I think it is inappropriate at the wedding.

Also, will your BMs be miffed to not keep their flowers?  They might be dead by the end of the night.. but I consider them theirs.
  • Options
    I'd think your bridesmaids expect to keep their bouquets. I think the idea is completely repuslive. Can't people mingle and talk, dance, etc?  Why do they have to be entertained like small children?
  • Options
    This =  total party buzz kill.

Just let people take the stuff or give it away at the end of the night.
  • Options
    I've never seen such a thing...I think it might confuse people. I know I would be confused.
    **i'm a little drunk on you and high on summertime** Photobucket
  • Options
    I told my mom how ludicrous this idea is... she said it might be too much but thought the idea was original. I feel bad for shooting her down, but she understood that I wanted to keep the event more formal.  She might pull something like this at the shower, but showers are supposed to be kind of corny, so I'm fine with it.
    Scrabble high score: 531
  • Options
    gotta agree with the other ladies, i vote no... sorry to your mom but it's your wedding
  • Options
    yeah....

the only "raffle" i saw at a wedding was the couples invited and they had to kiss when their name was called....kinda weird
    imageimage

Sept 2011 Siggy Challenge: Favorite Ceremony Photo Anniversary

~~Planning~~

~~FOR SALE~~
  • Options
    It sounds like the door prize raffels they do at company Holiday parties only those are for things like TVs, computers, wii, weekend getaways.  Now if your mom is interested in footing the bill for that type of thing your guests might vote you best wedding ever.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards