Wedding Reception Forum
Options

Thoughts on a non-alcohol reception?

We just looked at a fabulous venue today and it's all inclusive except for the bar. If we chose to do a beer and wine bar it will add an extra $2,000. We are trying to keep costs down and there's not really anywhere else to cut down on. So we are playing with the idea of having no alcohol. Most of the guests will be older and not heavy drinkers anyway. Thoughts????
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Thoughts on a non-alcohol reception?

• Options
    Is there any way that you can do a beer and wine bar but pay per drink?
    Ignorance is a poor defense. Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    What is the norm for your circle?

If DH and I cut corners and had no alcohol it would almost be like offering our guests nothing to drink.  Booze is at every event from a child's birthday to funerals.

Can you bring in your own or offer beer and wine or go by consumption?
  • Options
    I think it's fine to skip the alcohol.
  • Options
    Catwoman708Catwoman708 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited September 2010
    Totally fine to skip the alcohol, especially if the majority of yoru guests aren't big drinkers. 

Or you might ask the venue if they can do a signature cocktail or punch, like sangria or a champagne punch.  That way there is a little alcohol, but at a limited cost.
  • Options
    You really don't need alcohol at all, dry receptions are acceptable.

However, if your guests are people who do enjoy a drink or two, keep in mind that they'll remember if there was alcohol or not more than they'll remember the flowers/decore you had.

Consider your budget, see if you can cut corners anywhere, and see what you can come up with.
  • Options
    We're having a dry reception.  FI's bio dad, two of his sisters and his BIL have had a lot of alcohol and drug issues, and he is very against having alcohol at our wedding. While I enjoy a drink now and again, I'm okay with it.  It saves us money and makes him happy.  And I'd say more of our guests don't drink than do.

That said, if you have guests who want some alcohol, perhaps you guys could have an after party or hit up a bar afterward.  It's becoming more common, and that way any guests who want to party more (and harder) have the opportunity to without anyone's great-aunt fussing about the drunk GM hitting on her.
    Follow Me on Pinterest Image and video hosting by TinyPic Photobucket Photobucket
  • Options
    Thanks for all the suggestions!!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    My family is like Banana's.

If your is not then it will be fine.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_thoughts-non-alcohol-reception?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:5Discussion:612b042c-a655-424a-905d-0dcee1944ce2Post:6c58f378-9824-45aa-987c-68124f8d0b00">Re: Thoughts on a non-alcohol reception?</a>:
    [QUOTE]We're having a dry reception.  FI's bio dad, two of his sisters and his BIL have had a lot of alcohol and drug issues, and he is very against having alcohol at our wedding. While I enjoy a drink now and again, I'm okay with it.  It saves us money and makes him happy.  And I'd say more of our guests don't drink than do. That said, if you have guests who want some alcohol, perhaps you guys could have an after party or hit up a bar afterward.  It's becoming more common, and that way any guests who want to party more (and harder) have the opportunity to without anyone's great-aunt fussing about the drunk GM hitting on her.
    Posted by alehayes[/QUOTE]

This.. We specifically chose to have a morning ceremony and brunch reception so that we can have an after party with friends. FI's family would very much prefer the wedding to be dry, but alcohol is very much expected in our circle at all evening functions. The compromise is that we're offering each guest a glass of champagne or a mimosa for toasting, and I don't think it will seem odd that the reception is mostly dry, because it will only be 1pm. That evening we're going to a private room at our favourite restaurant for dinner and drinking with friends. It always feels a little wierd to me anyway to party it up while grandma looks on, and this allows us to have our cake and eat it too, so to speak.

I should note that ALL wedding guests will be invited to the after party, but it will be clear that it's a drinking event, so I already have a good idea of who exactly will and will not come.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I know that if I had a reception with no alcohol, there would be 15 ppl there...ha! That is just my social group. I think you should find out if you can pay per drink. I would have to have it!
  • Options
    leah2bleah2b member
    First Comment
    edited September 2010
    I've said it before and will say it again.  There are 3 elements to a great party:  food, booze and great music.  If your group is a bunch of non-drinkers, then fine.  But most people I know  like/want to have a drink at a party and would be dissapointed/surprised if there were no alcohol.  I think there are other ways to cut costs that guests could care less about - do without flowers, use a cheaper photographer, etc. 
  • Options
    I've been to one dry reception and the bride couldn't figure out why no one would dance. Hmmmm....one guess there girl.

I'm in the boat where my friends/family would likely revolt if I told them there would be no booze. But I guess if your circle doesn't drink then that's different.
  • Options
    I'd say go for it if you and your familes don't drink and your friends aren't big drinkers.  That's my situation, and I'm planning on having no alcohol and no one has complained about it!  it's YOUR night!
  • Options
    If you can't have fun without alcohol then something must be wrong with you!
    I am having zero booze and totally fine with it.  All of my guests know and are okay with it. 
    Hailey
  • Options
    I am planning on having a dry reception.  While two of my bridesmaids (sisters) are accustomed to having alcohol, I doubt they'll have a problem with it because they know me.  The people you invite to a wedding should be close enough to you to understand why you are having a dry reception.
    Our venue is also in the church basement, which makes having a bar almost awkward anyway.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards