Wedding Reception Forum
Options

Bridal Party Dance skip it? suggestions please.

The bridal party does not know each other that well.  Therefore I am wondering if I should just skip the bridal dance to avoid awkwardness.  I am not too keen on a fast song because people may not feel comfortable doing that either.  Fast Slow any suggestions for short songs?  Leaning more towards slow.

Re: Bridal Party Dance skip it? suggestions please.

• Options
    Skip it.  Even when bridal parties do know each other, the bridal party dance is awkward and boring for guests to watch.  I think most weddings these days are leaving it out.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I only saw it done at one wedding in the 90s, complete with shiny teal BM dresses with puffed sleeves. And a 12 year-old MOH dancing with a 30-something Best Man. Ick.
  • Options
    We're skipping the bridal party dance... we'll be doing introductions for our parents and bridal party and then it'll lead right into our 1st dance and the bridal party can take their seats. We weren't going to have our closest friends and family awkwardly slow dance with people they didn't know and weren't their SO. I've been a BM where I had to do this and it was beyond awkward.
  • Options
    We didn't do it and I've never been to a wedding that had BP dance. I would just skip it. 
  • Options
    Yes, skip it.  You will be doing your WP and guests all a huge favor.
  • Options
    SKIP IT, SKIP IT, SKIP IT.

They're awkward even when the WP know each other.  You're basically asking a bunch of strangers to dance with each other just because they're your friends.  The WP won't like it, the guest won't like it, what's the pont?

You *like* your WP, right?  Don't make them do this.
    Planning Our Wedding - Updated 04/11/11
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
    "If you can't think of something nice to say, don't say something nice" - Stephen Colbert
  • Options
    Skip it.  I'd never even heard of it until the knot.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_bridal-party-dance-skip-suggestions-please?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:5Discussion:6291267b-23c0-4538-bee0-019a8c3ec17aPost:b9a25f4f-abda-4612-a355-eac858bf7ad6">Re: Bridal Party Dance skip it? suggestions please.</a>:
    [QUOTE]Guests hate the WP dance because it's another boring spotlight dance that's keeping them off the floor.  WPs hate the WP dance because they very rarely know each other.  WPs' dates hate the WP dance because they have to watch their SO dancing with someone else. No one has liked the wedding party dance in the history of weddings, except the brides who think they're somehow doing the WP a favor.  Just skip it, it will most certainly not be missed.
    Posted by aerinpegadrak[/QUOTE]

This times eleventy billion.

If you fire a WP member, you're against America.

"Meg cracks me up on the regular. Now she gets to do it in two different forums. Yay!!" ~mkrupar
  • Options
    The only wedding I've seen it done at was the one wedding I was a bridesmaid in - it was AWFUL! SOOOO awkward.
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    I've always hated them as a BM/MOH.  Skip it.

That being said, when I was MOH a few years ago, the WP was introduced (along with the B&G and parents) and they went right into their first dance.  The WP was lined up (girls with their bouquets and guys with hands folded in front of them) and the B&G danced in front of us, so we were sort of the "backdrop" and it made for some REALLY beautiful pics.  Just a thought if you REALLY want to have your WP spotlighted but don't want to force them to dance with each other.
  • Options
    i agree with the skips its...from experience in the WP and as a guest at many a wedding.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards