Wedding Reception Forum
Options

How to honor someone else at the reception...

Hi all!  This is my first post on The Knot, so be gentle with me!

My wedding is a year off, and the date that worked for us/our venue/time of year/etc also happens to be my grandfather's 75th birthday.  He is absolutely delighted that our wedding will be on his birthday, so that's not a problem.  What I'm looking for is a way to honor his birthday some time during our reception.  Any ideas?

Re: How to honor someone else at the reception...

• Options
    My friend got married on my 21st.  The DJ had everyone get in a big circle then called me to stand in the middle.  He then proceeded to lead everyone in the chicken dance, me dancing in the middle in front of everyone.  I don't know how you feel about embarrassment tactics but... this one's effective! 

Then again, you could just opt to have everyone sing happy b-day to him! :)
  • Options
    ONe of my friends got married on her sisters birthday and they had a small cake for her. The DJ called her up and we all sang happy birthday.
  • Options
    My cousin's wedding fell on my uncle's (also her uncle and godfather, and basically the person who raised her) birthday.  The emcee made a brief announcement, and we all clapped.  No cake--we did that privately the day before with just family (destination wedding in Thailand, so we had lots of time to reconnect with family that lives all over the world). 
    Anything you want to do that feels appropriate will be appropriate.  A cake, singing "happy birthday," a brief announcement with applause for a birthday boy or girl who tends to shun the limelight, or even the chicken dance for the right person.  Trust your instincts; they're usually right :)  
    "The only true currency in this bankrupt world... is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." -Lester Banks, Almost Famous
  • Options
    Aww, Carlie, aren't you sweet! :^) I think any of PPs' suggestions would be really nice.
  • Options
    We had three family birthdays (plus MOH's birthday) within the week of our wedding, so we had birthday cake at the RD..
    This is a neglected planning bio.
    This is a belated married bio, with no reviews yet because I'm lazy.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
  • Options
    We are getting married on my dad's birthday.  Right before the father/daughter dance, I want to say a few words of thanks/tribute and present him with a small cake.  To me, it's really important to have a moment during the reception for him since FI and I wouldn't be able to afford such a nice a wedding without his generosity (he's paying for most of our wedding).
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards