Wedding Reception Forum

Memorable Reception Events?

Hey All!

Just wondering about some of the events that occured at your reception or receptions you have been to that you really enjoyed -- sweet, funny, personal, etc. I'm talking moments in the reception such as cake cutting, flower toss, etc that may not be as traditional as the ones I just listed.

Looking for ideas and also hoping you enjoy reminiscing! :)
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Memorable Reception Events?

• Memorable things for me tend to me amazing food, a great band that has everyone dancing for the whole reception, a unique/interesting venue (like a cool museum), or delicious dessert.  I don't think I"ve ever had a really memorable, amazing cake, but we went to a wedding that had a wall-to-wall dessert bar in addition to their cake with things like kahlua shots, pie and ice cream, and chocolate truffles - that is memorable.
  • My most memorable events were our MOH and BM toasts, dancing with my H and my Dad, when all our guests got on the dance floor to "Gangham Style" and watching H's uncle learn the steps from SILs BF, sneaking away with H to get a few photos outside, and watching our guests totally devour the candy bar. I also loved eating up the compliments on how delicious the food was (seriously, so good) and how the room looked amazing, etc.

None of those are extra "events" outside of standard wedding stuff. 
    Anniversary
  • There were some memorable traditional elements - the spotlight dances and the cake cutting. But there were a few that weren't planned, too.

My daughter's wedding took place the day before Hurricane Sandy hit CT.  The groom had chosen Hurricanes as their signature cocktail many months before, not thinking there was even a remote possibility of a hurricane hitting New England in late October. They were a hit.

The FOG toast was charming. He shared a short story about his son's childhood and described the first time he met the girl that his son told him was 'the one.' The bride and groom did not ask him to speak; it was a surprise for them. That was a beautiful moment during the reception.

• I know everyone had a lot of fun with the photo booth at my friend's wedding earlier this month! There were 2 sets of photos printed out - one for us and one for the bride/groom to be put into a scrapbook with signatures and well wishes. The photo booth also let you record video messages for the bride and groom, so that could be a really great way to capture the emotion of the day :)

I also really liked their "guest book" idea - it was actually an engagement photo of the bride/groom with a large matte (and frame) to allow for well wishes and signatures.

Neither of these are really an "event," but they were a nice personal touch!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    So ready to bring our families together and PARTY on April 13th, 2013!
    image 225 Invited
    image 53 Are ready to party!
    image 18 Will be missing out!
    image 154 Are MIA!
    Reply requested by March 23.
  • Great, thank you all for the suggestions!  It's funny that everyone got hung up on the word "event" because it didn't feel like the right word to use in the first place. :)  But you all nailed it, thanks!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards