Wedding Reception Forum
Options

Life Fish for Centerpiece?

I'm thinking about my centerpieces being a large glass  square or cylinder vase, with some stones and a live betta fish in it. I was wondering if anyone has ever had live fish for their wedding centerpieces, and if so, how did it go? Did any fish die? Was there lots of fish poop floating around?

Re: Life Fish for Centerpiece?

• Options
    MyNameIsNotMyNameIsNot member
    First Comment First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited March 2010
    Please don't do this.  Many animal lovers believe that this is cruel, and will be offended. 

Outside of that, the fish often die.  It's very difficult to correctly temper the water in a small bowl that is being moved around to set up your reception.  The movement and the temperature are not good for fish, and at least a few of them will die.  The vibrations from the sound and music will also disrupt them.  

On top of a few dead centerpieces, you will have fish poop floating around in them.  If you've ever owned a fish, you know that the water gets murky quickly as well.  They aren't going to look as pretty as you think.

People are not very nice to them either.  I've heard of guys getting drunk and daring each other to swallow the fish centerpieces or of little kids putting stuff in the bowls with them.  Even if they don't go that far, some people will want to put two bowls together to watch the fish react.  
  • Options
    I have to agree to a certain extent.  I've had a lot of beta fish and they are usually okay as long as the water is treated properly.  I can't say I've ever noticed too much fish poop floating around with them (as long as they are clean).

However, I'd be concerned that people will throw things in the bowls or, after they recognize they are fighting fish, start wars between the fish.  Drunk people will do it.  And they'll fight to the death.  No one wants that. 

Why not just pretty vases with flowers and no fish?
  • Options
    I'm too tired to get into this, so I'll let others go into details of why this is such a terrible idea.  Besides, I don't think the fish adds anything to that centerpiece, it would actually look better without.
    This is a neglected planning bio.
    This is a belated married bio, with no reviews yet because I'm lazy.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
  • Options
    Fish are living creatures, not wedding decor.  Even the possibility of a dead fish belly up in my table centerpiece would be enough to make me realize it's not a good idea.  Please reconsider--your guests will thank you.
  • Options
    Oh good.  It's been a while since someone asked this.  Do not use live ANYTHING....fish....kittens......chipmunks.....as scenery for your wedding.

It's potentially cruel to the animals~as others have said, how lovely will it be when people pour scotch into the water to see if the fish get drunk?  Or do worse.

And what will you do with the left-over fish after the wedding?

Find another idea.  Please.
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • Options
    What PP said.

Here's the thing with live fish - they're living.
    Planning Our Wedding - Updated 04/11/11
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
    "If you can't think of something nice to say, don't say something nice" - Stephen Colbert
  • Options
    In addition to the issues stated above, it will be so much easier to not have to worry about transporting live fish to and from your reception (and the issues of dead fish, pooping fish, people swallowing fish, kids or obnoxious adults pouring pepper into their bowls, etc.).

It looks so nice without the fish. Just skip the fish and use the centerpiece as shown in the photo. The fish makes an otherwise classy decoration look cheesy.
  • Options
    That is a really pretty centerpiece, minus the tacky $2 fish.
  • Options

The centerpiece is just lovely without the fish.

• Options
    Dittto pps. No one wants to stare at fish poop or dead fish while they eat. Plus, the last time someone asked this, a knottie shared a story where some guests got drunk and ate the live fish. It's just a disaster all around.
  • Options
    I would seriously have trouble eating while staring at a centerpiece made of a live animal. It would upset me too much. It would also negatively affect my opinion of the B&G.

What are you going to do with a dozen + beta fish after the reception? Your venue will probably flush them, at best, which is cruel and inhumane. Your guests will not be prepared to take a new pet home.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • Options
    One of my friends aunt went to a reception where they had beta fish in the centerpiece bowls and at the end of the night the reception hall was just going to throw them away in the trash, so the aunt took all of them home with her. She slowly found homes for them, but at one point she had fish everywhere in her house!
    Jen
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_life-fish-centerpiece?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:5Discussion:6e2c8c89-5a0f-4bf1-a706-b7769a9106eaPost:48219542-7db3-42ba-ac97-0d8a1b9ebd3b">Re: Life Fish for Centerpiece?</a>:
    [QUOTE]One of my friends aunt went to a reception where they had beta fish in the centerpiece bowls and at the end of the night the reception hall was just going to throw them away in the trash, so the aunt took all of them home with her. She slowly found homes for them, but at one point she had fish everywhere in her house!
    Posted by soze82[/QUOTE]

That's horrifying.  As much as I hate PETA, I'd love to see them show up at someone's wedding reception and raise hell. 
  • Options
    Yeah, I think I'd feel too guilty to let all the fish get killed at the end of the night, so I'd try to take them home and care for them.  We don't have fish or a fish tank currently, so that might be a bit of a problem.

Seriously, don't do it.
    This is a neglected planning bio.
    This is a belated married bio, with no reviews yet because I'm lazy.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
  • Options
    Here's a good link for you: http://tinyurl.com/ykme3w7
    imageimage
    Follow my book blog: Panda Reads
    Follow me on Goodreads: my read shelf:
    Sandra's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • Options
    LasairionaLasairiona member
    First Comment
    edited March 2010
    As everyone else has mentioned, living creatures are not decorations, period. I've been to dinners where the organizers thought that it was the most brilliant idea to have fish as centerpieces that died before the salad course was over (and contrary to belief, no one was drunk at any point so alcohol did not play into this at any time even though it was on the premises). While they were alive for a very brief time, there was a ton of fish poop in the vases, which immediately killed appetites. Add to that, fish was the only meal option, and then dead fish were forced onto people to take home at the end of the night as pets.

You wouldn't use puppies or kittens in a cage as your centerpiece, so don't do fish. The same applies to dove and butterfly releases, the latter of which seriously traumatizes people because they die before they ever arrive at the purchaser's residence and then the ones that do survive are so disoriented that they can't get out of the boxes, much less navigate their way home. Most people don't want their weddings associated with death and dead animals, even if they can't stand PETA.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards