Wedding Reception Forum
Options

No Alcohol at the Reception?

Some of my family cannot drink alcohol- for their own health- and for the sanctity of my reception. Besides that, it's expensive anyway. My fiance doesn't think that anyone will dance if we don't have any alcohol. What do you think? We just went to a wedding and it was a disaster. Their wedding didn't have any alcohol, but it was raining and they had to move everything inside and there wasn't enough room. So I don't think a lack of alcohol was the problem for that particular wedding, but I don't know. Do you think no one will dance if we don't have alcohol?
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: No Alcohol at the Reception?

• Options
    It's fine. There are plenty of dry wedding receptions. People may not dance as much, but that generally just means that your reception will be shorter than one with a lot of dancing.

There are all sorts of drink options you can offer that aren't alcoholic. You could serve mocktails, have a lemonade or coffee bar, teas, etc. It really isn't a problem. I've been to two dry wedding receptions, both luncheons, and both absolutely gorgeous.
    **i'm a little drunk on you and high on summertime** Photobucket
  • Options
    I went to a dry wedding and it was just as much fun as any other wedding.  I like the mock-tails idea too!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I think if you don't want alcohol, you don't have it.  But not because you're making decisions for other people, and not for the "sanctity" of your reception.  

Actually, I've never really thought of the reception as being the part of the day that needs "sanctity"~I equate that to the ceremony, but whatever floats your boat.

I think that you deciding that some of your family that "doesn't need to drink" for their own health kind of sounds like a made up excuse, and like you're treating them as children.  If they're adults, and they shouldn't drink, then that's a decision that they have to learn to live with.  Surely they go out to restaurants, dinner parties, or other social events where alcohol is served, and they have to make adult decisions about their conduct.

Anyway, to get back to your question:  there are ways to have alcohol that aren't as expensive as a full on open bar:  just serve beer and/or wine.  That saves significant amounts of $$.

But this sounds like you and your FI need to come to a compromise.  It sounds like you don't want it, and he does.  Time to come together and make a decision that you both can live with.  GL
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • Options
    We didn't have alcohol. We had an 11am ceremony. We had a DJ at the reception and people danced the whole time. Sometimes the dance floor wasn't packed, but it was rarely empty. 
  • Options
    You don't have to have alcohol.  But you do need to be realistic about what a dry wedding will mean.  Do your friends normally go out and dance sober?  If so, there will be dancing.  If they are the type of people that like to have a drink or two before dancing, then there won't be much dancing.  

For most groups, a dry wedding means there won't be a lot of dancing, and people won't stay all night.  Because of that, most people hosting dry weddings choose to do them earlier in the day and plan for a shorter event.  
  • Options
    So basically, you don't want alcohol and he does, right?  My FI and I were in a similar situation.  He wanted a dry wedding and I didn't.  We ended up compromising and having a limited bar instead of a full open bar.

Ditto Trix about your adults making their own decisions.  As long as you have a licensed bar tender there to ensure that people don't get to drunk, don't worry about it. 
  • Options
    I went to a dry wedding reception last weekend and plenty of people were dancing. The bride and groom were out on the dance floor almost the whole night, which really encouraged other people. Plus, most of the people at the wedding don't drink much anyway, so it wasn't an issue for them. But only you know your crowd.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards