Wedding Reception Forum

Anyone trying a covered dish reception?

2»

Re: Anyone trying a covered dish reception?

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_anyone-trying-covered-dish-reception?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:5Discussion:83906e93-df00-4bf1-9eda-f602331cb2d1Post:24d9cf37-4e9e-4d91-9cd8-d964c77e4eaf">Re: Anyone trying a covered dish reception?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I am doing a pot luck type of thing too! We are doing the meat and some drinks. If you do alcohol and people get into a wreck then you are liable! So we are not providing that. But we are putting in the invitation that we do not want people to bring a gift that we want them to bring a covered side dish. I have talked to many friends and family and they are really exited with the idea. We aren't rich! We don't have the money to get it catered!! We are paying for it ourselves!!! Not many other people on here can say the same!!!! Good Luck Hun! I wish you the best!! 
    Posted by stori489[/QUOTE]

Yes, I am paying for the wedding myself. Budget is no excuse for being rude. You should also never mention gifts in an invitation. And you should get wedding insurance, which will make you not liable. Well, you will be, but it will cover you.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_anyone-trying-covered-dish-reception?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:5Discussion:83906e93-df00-4bf1-9eda-f602331cb2d1Post:24d9cf37-4e9e-4d91-9cd8-d964c77e4eaf">Re: Anyone trying a covered dish reception?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I am doing a pot luck type of thing too! We are doing the meat and some drinks. I<strong>f you do alcohol and people get into a wreck then you are liable! So we are not providing that.</strong> <u>But we are putting in the invitation that we do not want people to bring a gift that we want them to bring a covered side dish.</u> I have talked to many friends and family and they are really exited with the idea. <strong>We aren't rich! </strong>We don't have the money to get it catered!! <u>We are paying for it ourselves!!! </u>Not many other people on here can say the same!!!! Good Luck Hun! I wish you the best!! 

So a person gets smashed at a bar, drives home drunk, gets in an accident, and the bar owner is liable for the accident?  I'm not an expert of the law, but somehow I don't think that is right. 

This is just all sorts of wrong.

Neither are most of the people who post on here.

So are a lot of the people who post on here
    dont make ur password so easy. gbck2CA2 hahahaha
  • To the original poster I understand your need to keep cost down and a picnic is a great idea but you might find that you are able to pay for the food and drink for your guests.

75 lbs of chicken at $1.29 lb.=$96.75
    15 pks of hotdogs and buns $3.00 =$45
    25 lbs of potato salad at $1.99= $49.75
    25 lbs of coleslaw at $1.99 = $49.75
    45 liter of soda at $1.00=$45

You have not hit $300 and that would be a substantial portion of the food covered

The only reason I post this is because my sister and I are pricing out the expense  for a family picnic this summer and we expect about 50-60 people.

Also I'm using current Chicago prices.

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_anyone-trying-covered-dish-reception?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:5Discussion:83906e93-df00-4bf1-9eda-f602331cb2d1Post:b020fe64-cd3c-4ba8-8a45-a17d43d0b0ca">Re: Anyone trying a covered dish reception?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Anyone trying a covered dish reception? : So a person gets smashed at a bar, drives home drunk, gets in an accident, and the bar owner is liable for the accident?  I'm not an expert of the law, but somehow I don't think that is right.  This is just all sorts of wrong. Neither are most of the people who post on here. So are a lot of the people who post on here
    Posted by CA2MT4EveR[/QUOTE]

Actually YES they are liable.  But that is why the bartenders are trained not to over serve and they have good insurance\

That said,  ANY TIME you host an event you  MAYBE liable for any and all accidents that may occur.  That can include  drinking and driving,  broken chairs,  FOOD POISONING, water on the dance floor and someone falls, someone SOBER walking up a set of stairs, etc.  People focus on drinking and driving, but  really as a host you can be liable for just about anything that goes on at the event.

It's a good idea to have extra insurance just to cover yourself.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • No, I am not considering it, because it would be rude.

No, I would not give thought to doing it, because it would be rude.

No, I don't have any words of advice for you about it, other than to suggest that it would be rude to do it. 

Usually, if you have to ask, you already know what the answer is.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_anyone-trying-covered-dish-reception?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:5Discussion:83906e93-df00-4bf1-9eda-f602331cb2d1Post:24d9cf37-4e9e-4d91-9cd8-d964c77e4eaf">Re: Anyone trying a covered dish reception?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I am doing a pot luck type of thing too! We are doing the meat and some drinks. If you do alcohol and people get into a wreck then you are liable! So we are not providing that. But we are putting in the invitation that we do not want people to bring a gift that we want them to bring a covered side dish. I have talked to many friends and family and they are really exited with the idea. We aren't rich! We don't have the money to get it catered!! <strong><font color="#ff0000">We are paying for it ourselves!!! Not many other people on here can say the same!!!!</font></strong> Good Luck Hun! I wish you the best!! 

I am PAYING for my own wedding! We ARE having it catered! We are providing Alcohol! Also we will be taking care of any taxi expenses for those that are not able to drive! However I don't believe there will be irresponsible adults at my wedding who drink too much and get behind the wheel, and you as the host should be more responsible about how your guest drink and get home safely. Budget is not an excuse to be rude. And I believe it's not proper etiquette to mention gifts at all on a wedding invited or word of mouth.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards