Wedding Reception Forum
Options

Buffet reception logistical questions

So, a coupla questions for the group:

1. FI and I are having a buffet style luncheon at the reception with only about 40-45 guests. Are numbered tables and name cards still necessary with a buffet, or should guests just seat themselves as they wish?

2. The wedding is at 11:00, and we're figuring hors d'oeuvres will start at about 11:30, with lunch beginning 12:00-12:15. If we have to have everyone out of the building by 4pm, do you think there's enough time in there to plan on a little dancing after lunch? It would be an ipod wedding, so no big impact to the budget either way...I just wasn't sure whether this would even be enough time. Also, there will be no alcohol, though lots of non alcoholic beverage options of course, so guests may be less inclined to loosen up and cut a rug, so to speak.

Thoughts?
What has four thumbs and is totally stoked about getting married? These people!! Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Buffet reception logistical questions

• Options
    1. You do not need numbered tables and name cards. Some people will say you should still have them, because guests like to be told where to sit. As a guest, I don't like to be told where to sit, so I advise against them, but it's a matter of preference. If you're anticipating any kind of bottleneck at the buffet table, you might want to consider dismissing tables one at at time, rather than all together. Then you'd need table numbers, but you still don't have to assign people to particular tables.

2. At business luncheons, half an hour is allotted for eating. I think our timeline is generous with an hour allotted for dinner. Three yours (1:15 to 4) is plenty of time for some dancing after lunch.
  • Options
    I've never been to a wedding with a seating assigned, and I've never seen people taking chairs from one table to the next. But just to entertain the thought, this could still be done even with assigned seating, i would think this would be more likely to happen if you assign me to sit accross the room from someone that I would rather be near. Most people know how to act in a social setting, and know that you shouldnt be moving chairs to other tables.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I would assign seating. It's more work for you but easier as a guest.

I put many hours into my seating arrangements and I know I have seated everyone with people they like and get along with. I have never seen a guest move a chair or change their seats when seats have been assigned, ever.

I have seen table overflow while others go empty when seating is not assigned. (also walking around having to ask if the table has two available seats is not fun) You have only 50 guests so maybe it wouldn't be so bad.
  • Options
    assigned tables have nothing to do with what type of meal you're having-that has to do with your guests seating. how many tables are you having?

• Options
    If assigned seating generally is the norm with your family and social circle, I would do assigned seating for your wedding.  It'll make your guests more comfortable.  

My in laws had assigned seating (placecards) at their Christmas dinner--about 35-40 people, probably--and it was nice not to have to wander around with a plate of food looking for two open seats for DH and I or feel like we were insulting people by not sitting by them.
  • Options
    I would assign tables but not seats. that will:
    1) Avoid the awkward where to sit moment

2) allow you to poisition older guests  nearer to the buffet

3) remove the  table clustering effect
    577906 10151197172303105 844768324 n Follow Me on Pinterest www.shoplovelivelearn.blogspot.com Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards