Wedding Reception Forum
Options

Ceremony...

My husband and I were married at a courthouse in Nov.2009. But we are not going to have the reception until Oct. of this year (which is common in my country). My father and mother in law will be flying from out of country to attend the reception, and they are kind of looking forward since they have never attended a traditional western wedding before. Do you guys think it is appropriate, to have a ceremony before the reception (in the fact that we are already married)?  We are going to have the reception on a yacht, and the captain will be the minister of the ceremony if we decide to have one.  

Re: Ceremony...

• Options
    I think it would be fine especially since you are already married. I also think it would be very unique to have the ceremony on the yacht and then sometime during of after the ceremony to have the captain marry you (again)
  • Options
    You could do a vow renewal.  It wouldn't be a marriage ceremony since you're already married, but you could renew your vows to each other in the presence of your parents and family and friends. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I wouldn't get the point. You're already married.
  • Options
    To mbcdefg:
    We were registered at the courthouse, but only my parents were there. In my husband hometown, we wouldn't be considered married until we have the reception and invite all the family and friends to attend it (weird isn't it?).
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_ceremony?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:5Discussion:9aaa1d41-7ac4-4c33-803b-a949d4060f8aPost:fead11d9-5438-4052-ba39-0d5d808129f0">Re: Ceremony...</a>:
    [QUOTE]To mbcdefg: We were registered at the courthouse, but only my parents were there. In my husband hometown, we wouldn't be considered married until we have the reception and invite all the family and friends to attend it (weird isn't it?).
    Posted by ahiruhayama[/QUOTE]

Even if his home town does not think of you as married, you are still legally married. A vow renewal ceremony is a great idea, and I'm sure the guests would appreciate and enjoy it, but it would not be a marriage ceremony because you are already married.
  • Options
    Thanks for all of your input, I think we will do a vow renewal ceremony:)
  • Options
    It is kinda funny to do vow renewal when vows were probably not done in the first place.
    dont make ur password so easy. gbck2CA2 hahahaha
  • Options
    Yes, a vow renewal would work here.  Or if you are religious, you could have a clergy person bless your marriage.  

Personally, I would skip the ceremony, as you are already married, and just go straight into the reception.  
  • Options
    I think a vow renewal would be appropriate and lovely. 

By the way, I just joined these boards and have noticed an interesting trend with posts by CA2MT4EveR.  The few I have read have been snarky and "I'm better than the rest of you" in tone.  I would ignore those remarks.  I don't think people will think you are just trying to get presents.  You will be spending much more on a yacht to entertain them than you will get back from them in presents. 

Enjoy your celebration.

Nancy
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_ceremony?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:5Discussion:9aaa1d41-7ac4-4c33-803b-a949d4060f8aPost:0ea1f731-2659-4d6e-b6b0-b1459e3b82c3">Re: Ceremony...</a>:
    [QUOTE]I think a vow renewal would be appropriate and lovely.  By the way, I just joined these boards and have noticed an interesting trend with posts by CA2MT4EveR.  The few I have read have been snarky and "I'm better than the rest of you" in tone.  I would ignore those remarks.  I don't think people will think you are just trying to get presents.  You will be spending much more on a yacht to entertain them than you will get back from them in presents.  Enjoy your celebration. Nancy
    Posted by nancyskis[/QUOTE]

<div>Keep reading.  CA2MT is a great person, and offers excellent advice.  Like many of the posters on these boards, she is brutally honest, and will say the things that your guests will think, but not say.  She's right.  Many people will assume that a reception long after the marriage is designed to solicit gifts.  If you don't want honest advice, you're in the wrong place.  </div><div>
    </div><div>However, I can't say anything nice about a person that would take this opportunity to attack another poster unprovoked like this.  </div>
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards