Wedding Reception Forum

plastic plates for kids?

I read the post about paper plates v. renting/buying real dishes. I am currently planning to rent dishes for the reception, but should I use plastic plates for kids? And if so, what age should I draw the line to be considered for plastic plates?
MAY 2011 SIGGY CHALLENGE : YOU & MOH (I was also her MOH)
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
**Bio**

Re: plastic plates for kids?

• why would kids get separate dishes?
  • If they have a plate to themselves and drop it... it breaks, glass on the floor.
    I know this is possible to happen with adults too, but I'm more worried about if they try to pick up the broken pieces.
    MAY 2011 SIGGY CHALLENGE : YOU & MOH (I was also her MOH)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    **Bio**
  • I'd just let the kids use regular plates and let the parents tend to their children's table manners...  Kids eat at restaurants all the time and are served food on regular plates; why would a wedding be different?  I think you're overthinking the issue ;)
  • If you're having children's tables, you could just do the plastic plates at the children's tables for whoever is sitting there, and if some kids are sitting with their parents, those kids can get regular plates.
    Married 10/2/10
  • Are the plates at the tables set or will they be at the buffet line?  If they are at the buffet line- I would give parents the option and just have a few available there.

If you are having plates set nicely at each table- then I would put nice plates at the kids table with a nice little sign:  "Paper plates are available upon request.  Please ask a server."  You could also make the sign a little more cute if that is the style of your wedding.  "Little hands make big messes.  Paper plates are available.  Please ask your server."

I wrote server - because I assumed you would have the catering company there to manage the buffet line.- alter it to whatever will fit your description.

I think it is good you are thinking in advance.  Like you said - every child is different and plates can be heavy for little kids (I can just imagine one rushing up for seconds and dropping one.)  Maybe you can verify your caterer/venue will be able to clean up and incidents for you.  If not, come prepared with a broom in the trunk of someones car.

Hope this helped  :)
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_plastic-plates-kids?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:5Discussion:a1074850-482a-4688-9789-fe3865df0409Post:c4ea9732-a234-4c0b-93e5-762c5bf0f49f">Re: plastic plates for kids?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I've never seen anyone, either an adult or a child, drop their plate at a wedding or another formal social event.
    Posted by mbcdefg[/QUOTE]

LOL - you haven't seen me at a formal event!

I am the biggest klutz anyone would ever meet!  My FH stopped buying wine glasses with stems cuz he got tired of cleaning up all of my accidents. lol  The whole white dress thing terrifies me!  I plan to drink only white wine (even though I love red!) and be extra careful during dinner.  If I am this bad now- I couldn't imagine how I was as a kid!!!

I don't think it is bad to plan ahead for your wedding- only she knows what her guest list looks like.  Maybe she expects the parents have less supervision over the kids or has seen issues at previous events.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards