Wedding Reception Forum
Options

Does your reception venue charge gratuity?

In my area (South Florida), it seems like nearly every reception venue I've looked at charges a gratuity.  I get the impression it's not optional, either.  Most places here charge 22%, although a few charge 17-18% (on top of the per-person prices for dinner/drinks).  Is this common in your area?  If it isn't, are you planning on paying gratuity?  How will you calculate it?
Photobucket
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Does your reception venue charge gratuity?

• Options
    Mine calls it a "service charge" right at 20%.  Everywhere I looked was 20% some called it a service charge others a gratuity. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Yep, 21% "service charge"
    Our Wedding Day
  • Options
    My reception site charges a 20% service charge as well. Don't forget there's also tax on top of that charge.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    Ours is 18% and as a previous posted mentioned tax is on top of that for what they are allowed to tax.  Not everything is taxable though in every state so that will very depending on where your reception is.  For example they may be able to tax the alcohol and service, but not the food.  Not sure how they separate all that out, but I guess that is what computers and accountants are for.  Everything should be clear in the contract, if not ASK TONS OF QUESTIONS.
  • Options
    Mine is 17%.
    Married 10/2/10
  • Options
    Ours charged a 20% service charge which did cover the gratuity (I asked this specifically, as this is not always the case).  My MIL tipped the 2 women that helped during the reception (not sure what their actual titles were) $50 each because they were so wonderful.
  • Options
    My place charges 18% gratuity on the price with tax. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options

Service Charge of 17% is included on our venue contract.

• Options
    Of course I'm paying it. It's like gratuity at a restaurant, and I never think that's optional. I have them factor tax and gratuity into my contract so I knew how much I would paying in total.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • Options
    Ours was 18%.
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    A lot of places add that charge. 

Make sure you know what it goes to though.  If tips are not included in that service charge then you'll need to factor tipping in on top of the service charge.
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Ours had a 22% service charge. 

• Options
    Yes, our venue charges 20% service charge plus tax.
    "Plus who needs a purse when you have a wedding dress? Those things are like walking hobo bags just waiting to be stuffed with surprise treasures." -Wedinator.com image
  • Options
    Sorry if I worded this strangely - by no means did I mean to imply that I was thinking of not paying the gratuity/service charge.  I should have said "how are you handling gratuity otherwise?" 

Thanks for the tip about looking closely at the contract to see if the service charge covers gratuity.  It can get so confusing, especially since some places I've looked call the 20% surcharge a gratuity, and others a service charge.
    Photobucket
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Gratuity was not included, and I was a total bonehead and didn't include it in my budget.  I spoke with my coordinator who let me write a check that night (this silly bride didn't have $3000 cash tucked in my spanx) and would distribute the tips accordingly.  I also had to tip the band--another $500 gone.  That's my first piece of advice for newly engaged couples.  Include tips in budgets, write the checks early, seal the envelopes, get them the to best man, and be sure those envelopes go out early in the event.  Tip big, tip early, and enjoy the great service.
    "The only true currency in this bankrupt world... is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." -Lester Banks, Almost Famous
  • Options
    Our venue includes gratuity in their per head price.
  • Options
    our was included, dont remember the exact amout but its in there
    VICTORIA image 135 Invited so far!
    image 90 Are ready to party!
    image 40 Will be missing out!
    image 5 Are MIA!
    Photobucket
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards