Wedding Reception Forum
Options

Food not matching decor?

So back when I first started planning, I was a little bugged by how expensive all the catering options in my area were.  I was pretty set on having a build your own sandwich selection, and was going to self cater. 

Then we went out last night to a little hawaiian bbq place we love, and it turns out, their catering prices are great.  My only problem, my planned shabby chic picnic type decor and such doesn't really work with this menu.  

I haven't really purchased any of the decorations yet, except a few things that tie into my primary "love bird" theme, but, I wanted feed back.  I'm not going to change the decoration into a luau, and I still want my Shabby Chic stuff, but do you think the guests would find it tacky? Part of me thinks that they don't really care as long as the food tastes good, but feedback please! 
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Food not matching decor?

• Options
    Ro041Ro041 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    I think it works!  You think of bbq when you think of picnic style food.  So, if you up to to Hawaiin bbq and shabby chic picnic decor, it sounds great!

• Options
    Not everything has to match at your wedding.  Unless you are serving PB&J sandwiches at a formal sit-down to everyone, 'matching' to the event isn't an issue.

If you put food in front of people, they aren't going to get out a clip-board and rate it's 'matchyness' to your decorating.  They'll be too busy eating.  Especially delicious food like you posted about.
    Don't make me mobilize OffensiveKitten

Anniversary

• Options
    Thanks for the input ladies!!! I guess I was just a tad concerned with people (mostly my judgemental family) thinking it was wierd that someone who's not hawaiian (and who isn't going anytime soon) would have Hawaiian food...

But you are right... it's pretty great food (especially for the price), so really, they wil probably just be happy eating it.  Thanks a ton!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I personally am having an outdoor country shabby chic wedding and all those that know we are having a bbq are just delighted.  I don't think it's really going to have a big impact if your food isn't exactly what you had planned.  Just as long as it's good...lol.  People remember if it was bad and they also remember the good time they had. 
  • Options
    I don't think your food has to match your theme... as long as it's good food I'm sure your guests will be happy!
  • Options
    As long as the food is good and there is enough for everyone no one is going to think about the food matching the decor. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Thanks so much for this question! My fiance and I are having a lodge-y winter wedding next year and his absolute favorite catering spot serves carribean/creole food. It keeps bothering me that the food would seem out-of-place but it's seriously delicious and very reasonably priced. Do you guys think this would still fall under the "plenty of yummy food is all people care about" rule? 
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_food-not-matching-decor?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:5Discussion:ad80104d-c902-4150-8fd5-50b0e188445cPost:dbf2def1-1411-4388-9e4f-306c2921c23a">Re: Food not matching decor?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Thanks so much for this question! My fiance and I are having a <strong>lodge-y winter wedding</strong> next year and his absolute favorite catering spot serves <strong>carribean/creole</strong> food. It keeps bothering me that the food would seem out-of-place but it's seriously delicious and very reasonably priced. Do you guys think this would still fall under the "plenty of yummy food is all people care about" rule? 
    Posted by StPaul0102[/QUOTE]

<div>This sounds just as great as shabby chic Hawaiian BBQ...</div><div>
    </div><div>I think we just uncovered the next wedding trend ladies! Crossing seemingly mismatched decor style with culture infused menus. Yep. It's weird but also awesome. </div><div>
    </div><div>*in fact, I think my Mom is planning something similar for my bridal shower. She told me yesterday that she's planning a French Provencal decor/ theme and catering from our favorite local Cuban cafe and bakery. </div>

Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards